SAT/ACT

Dubs

GOLD
Anybody have any idea how the "getting rid of SAT/ACT" requirements will effect 2020s and 2021 commits? Will 2021s be able to just submit their application with their HS transcript and that's it? Appreciate any info if folks out there have knowledge.

Will 2021s be able to just submit their application with their HS transcript and that's it? Appreciate any info if folks out there have knowledge.
That's it bro from what I'm hearing from my inside HS connection. Online classes are way easier for my dd too. 4.0 now dude. Group study together on zoom as well. I hear Math might be changed for those who will never need it. Answer 2+2=4 and a few other important things on how to save for a virus and prepare for the worst :)

Anybody have any idea how the "getting rid of SAT/ACT" requirements will effect 2020s and 2021 commits? Will 2021s be able to just submit their application with their HS transcript and that's it? Appreciate any info if folks out there have knowledge.
Different schools are going to handle it differently so I would speak directly to the coach. Not sure how some schools would calculate $ without test scores.
Also if for some reason the commitment falls thru having test scores give you more options. I know most colleges have said that not having test scores won’t hurt you, but if you can score well it will definitely help you and as Ella just acknowledged online classes are easier so there will be less differentiation without test scores. So I guess I am saying take it if you can do well so that you keep all your options. You never know if your kiddo will decide to go to a school closer to home after all of this. Good luck.

Yes. I think the lack of SAT/ACT will hurt students that were borderline or have low GPA’s. For this group, a good test score could have markedly improved their application profile and chances of admissions to top schools.

Different schools are going to handle it differently so I would speak directly to the coach. Not sure how some schools would calculate $ without test scores.
Also if for some reason the commitment falls thru having test scores give you more options. I know most colleges have said that not having test scores won’t hurt you, but if you can score well it will definitely help you and as Ella just acknowledged online classes are easier so there will be less differentiation without test scores. So I guess I am saying take it if you can do well so that you keep all your options. You never know if your kiddo will decide to go to a school closer to home after all of this. Good luck.
My DD is already committed, so you're correct. This will need to be a discussion with her coaches. It is a UC, so all the UCs are on same page, in terms of not requiring it. I'm pretty most schools will follow suit.

Yes. I think the lack of SAT/ACT will hurt students that were borderline or have low GPA’s. For this group, a good test score could have markedly improved their application profile and chances of admissions to top schools.
Agreed, but my question is more selfish, in terms of the committed player. Does this make things easier for them as far as satisfying the requirements for a recruit?

That's it bro from what I'm hearing from my inside HS connection. Online classes are way easier for my dd too. 4.0 now dude. Group study together on zoom as well. I hear Math might be changed for those who will never need it. Answer 2+2=4 and a few other important things on how to save for a virus and prepare for the worst :)
It's crazy because our school district just adopted Credit/No Credit for the Spring semester. No grades. Get a 69% or above and you get Credit. Unprecedented times!

Agreed, but my question is more selfish, in terms of the committed player. Does this make things easier for them as far as satisfying the requirements for a recruit?
I think it depends on the school. I would say no for HYS; in fact, the above analysis applies. I would say yes for SDSU, FSU, and Penn State or similar schools.

There is some value to knowing your SAT/ACT just to pick a school that’s a good match. Harvard might accept a kid with a 1150 SAT for their hockey team, but that doesn’t mean they know how to educate him.

You want to be more in the middle.

(Even if testing locations are shut, you can find out your rough SAT just by buying an old test and administering it at home. )

There is some value to knowing your SAT/ACT just to pick a school that’s a good match. Harvard might accept a kid with a 1150 SAT for their hockey team, but that doesn’t mean they know how to educate him.

You want to be more in the middle.

(Even if testing locations are shut, you can find out your rough SAT just by buying an old test and administering it at home. )
Great point. I’ll add that folks should really pay attention to the school culture. For example, I think the UC system is competitive and cutthroat and has a sink or swim culture. I think Stanford and USC have a more collaborative and supportive culture; I have very smart friends from both of these schools that wouldn’t have done well in the UC system because they perceive it as a toxic environment.

Great point. I’ll add that folks should really pay attention to the school culture. For example, I think the UC system is competitive and cutthroat and has a sink or swim culture. I think Stanford and USC have a more collaborative and supportive culture; I have very smart friends from both of these schools that wouldn’t have done well in the UC system because they perceive it as a toxic environment.
That's probably true. However, we're talking about student athletes here. Their experience is going to be entirely different from the normal student population.

That's probably true. However, we're talking about student athletes here. Their experience is going to be entirely different from the normal student population.
Might help you in Am. Stud, but I dont think anyone changes Organic Chemistry to help out the athletes.

Might help you in Am. Stud, but I dont think anyone changes Organic Chemistry to help out the athletes.
Don't take my response out of context. Whether you are an Organic Chem major or Finance major, your overall college experience is going to be differnent and offer advantages/disadvantages if you're a student athelete. Does it take away from the rigor and difficulty...? No, but the experience as a whole will be totally different. In many cases, it will be more difficult for the student athelete because of schedule demands. Just making the point.

I’m a HS Counselor, PM me if you have any specific academic/testing/ncaa eligibility questions you have for your kiddos. I’d be more than happy to help.
Do you know if there are discussions happening between the California systems (CSU and UC) with the NCAA regarding eligibility in light of the pandemic? What are you telling your college bound student athletes?

The fact that you’re an athlete doesn’t negate the culture and expectations at certain schools. I’m personally aware of several athletes that felt unsupported academically at major universities. If your goal is to just go to college to enter the draft, I agree with you. However, if your goal is to graduate with a degree it’s essential to factor the academic culture of the school and how your kid learns best.

The fact that you’re an athlete doesn’t negate the culture and expectations at certain schools. I’m personally aware of several athletes that felt unsupported academically at major universities. If your goal is to just go to college to enter the draft, I agree with you. However, if your goal is to graduate with a degree it’s essential to factor the academic culture of the school and how your kid learns best.
No doubt.

Back