RIP Mamba

When I heard about a helicopter crash n the Calabasas hills the first image that came to mind was the opening scene of MASh that was filmed just a few miles from the crash site.

Just a reminder of how delicate and fragile we are, here today , gone tomorrow....RIP to the real GOAT. Kiss your family today and let them know how much they mean to you ....

Agree 100%. Enjoy those carpool rides with your kids. Parents I knew always said we were crazy for driving 40 mins to practice. Its the best 40 mins because it's 1 on 1 time that you'll never get back. Kobe's transportation was by helicopter so he could actually spend more time with his family and get home so he could be waiting in this kids carpool line at school. RIP MAMBA and to all the lives lost.

a lot of what I knew about him is now widely known by the public with all the coverage:

became a regular dad after retiring and could often be seen at the OC malls, churches, restaurants and even soccer games (and of course mamba)

approachable, considerate, and steadfastly dedicated to his kids

used the helicopter to minimize commute times so that he could spend more quality time at home and activities of his kids at Harbor and other OC schools

knowing he could do a better job than the existing youth sport club scene, he built Mamba into a really successful business providing top notch facilities and a club with many caring and knowledgeable coaches (it wasn't just for basketball--soccer etc. too); I have a feeling Vanessa (and the other families) will make continuing to grow Mamba their passion after grieving. She has been through a lot over the years. Strength to her and the kids and the other families..

I remember my daughter pointing Kobe out at a USWNT game. He was there with one of his daughters. My heart breaks if I even attempt to think about that last moment when he realized he couldn't protect his daughter. Helicopters and fog. Not a good combination. That's what took SRV from us as well. Hug your loved ones.

I remember my daughter pointing Kobe out at a USWNT game. He was there with one of his daughters. My heart breaks if I even attempt to think about that last moment when he realized he couldn't protect his daughter. Helicopters and fog. Not a good combination. That's what took SRV from us as well. Hug your loved ones.

Helicopters and fog is a better combination than airplanes and fog. That's one of their advantages. It looks to me liked the intended flight path got pinched between weather and terrain, and when the pilot tried to turn around he found the ridge he was trying to avoid.

Public tragedies like this affect different people in different ways. For example, my wife found a video of Kobe dancing tinikling in the Philippines when he was just still a teenager and already an NBA star.

My personal interest is how the NTSB is handling this. The lead investigator couldn't hold herself back at yesterday's press conference in restating NTSB recommendations to the FAA to require passenger-carrying helicopters to carry terrain-warning systems, flight data recorders, and cockpit voice recorders - none of which were installed in the crashed helo.

RIP to all !

So many fond memories of Kobe & family from the time we meet him when my daughter was just one with Natalia

Wow really hits close to home

83733170_2445804122196399_3585450909292822528_n.jpg

Was Kobe's daughter playing club?
I'm not sure which one of his kids played club soccer or if both did but I know a daughter of his did. I ran into him in a parking lot of an scdsl league game and he had his chair on his shoulder looking like all of us walking to the field. I got a pic with him! I'm guessing it was slammers I was going he was coming and it was slammers home fields.

Also a girl that was on that helicopter Payton (with her mom) played some soccer at a private school in South orange county one of the Capo FC coaches had her said she was a baller and athlete as you could imagine. I'm guessing Bball was her top sport club sport.

My personal interest is how the NTSB is handling this. The lead investigator couldn't hold herself back at yesterday's press conference in restating NTSB recommendations to the FAA to require passenger-carrying helicopters to carry terrain-warning systems, flight data recorders, and cockpit voice recorders - none of which were installed in the crashed helo.

Several news reports quote the NTSB saying that the helicopter was descending rapidly before the crash. That makes no sense - any experienced pilot knows that up is good, down is bad, especially in fog or cloud - unless there was a mechanical failure not yet disclosed or the pilot got disoriented and lost trust in his instruments.

Back