Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Speaking of the transfer portal, keep an eye out on what players transfer out of schools your kid is interested in. At my daughters school player just transferred to a top 20 program, so her school just brought in another 2023 recruit. It happens. I'll also mention I've been told there are still a number of open goalkeeper spots at all levels of colleges for 2023's.

I'm seeing some bigtime programs announcing 2023 signings the last few weeks. I wondered if it was the portal or players having social media "verballed" regrets.

That's awesome. Do you or anyone on here know if you can just "walk on" and have a try out for the team at these schools? Let's say for Pete sakes my dd or someone else dd enrolls at Cal State Fullerton or UCI, is there a tryout day or do you have to be recruited the old fashion way? I loved the movie Rudy. School first is what I think most folks are saying to me. I 100% will be rooting for your dd. Go class of 2023 :)
If she gets some starts I'll let you know.

Just saw a player attend a camp at my daughters school hoping to impress and be a walk on as she is already admitted and signed up for the school. Hopefully they contacted the coach before hand.

Worked with my daughters best friend this weekend, a 2024. on her recruiting video and initial emails. Late to the game, but she has improved dramatically. Hope to find her a school.

If she gets some starts I'll let you know.

Just saw a player attend a camp at my daughters school hoping to impress and be a walk on as she is already admitted and signed up for the school. Hopefully they contacted the coach before hand.

Worked with my daughters best friend this weekend, a 2024. on her recruiting video and initial emails. Late to the game, but she has improved dramatically. Hope to find her a school.
Q for you bro. If a player sits out for two years can they still attend a UC school from their work as a high school student?

Q for you bro. If a player sits out for two years can they still attend a UC school from their work as a high school student?
That is a college admissions question. I know a number of students have started taking gap years before going to college and depending on what they did some colleges see it as a positive. You still give them all your admissions, might be helpful to write an essay detailing life during that time. Possible hitting a JC for the first year then transferring might be an option as well. If someone played professional during that time and received money don't think they could play in college but that would be better answered by the more knowledgeable here.

That is a college admissions question. I know a number of students have started taking gap years before going to college and depending on what they did some colleges see it as a positive. You still give them all your admissions, might be helpful to write an essay detailing life during that time. Possible hitting a JC for the first year then transferring might be an option as well. If someone played professional during that time and received money don't think they could play in college but that would be better answered by the more knowledgeable here.
Thanks bro. JC online is always good to catch up on units. Who cares about age anyways. Might be better for some girls to come in at 20 and then ball two years and then go professional in business or maybe soccer, if they pay get's better. One day at a time.

North Carolina university confronts mental health crisis after student suicides
North Carolina State University recorded 14 student deaths over the 2022-2023 school year

Talk to your kids parents on a regular basis and don't ask how their grades are all the time. Regardless if your kid plays soccer or not, this is happening on all campuses, some more than others. Tell them you love all the time.

Last edited:
Anybody have thoughts on different recruiting sites to assist with the process? Getting lot of emails from different platforms...ScoutingZone, Hudl, NCSA, TGS. Any particular platform used by colleges more than others?

Anybody have thoughts on different recruiting sites to assist with the process? Getting lot of emails from different platforms...ScoutingZone, Hudl, NCSA, TGS. Any particular platform used by colleges more than others?
I wouldn't pay for any of them. Use free features and use for information. You can do it yourself by taking video, working with your kid on the highlight recruiting video and posting to a youtube account, help them find emails for the interested colleges, and keep them active with follow up emails and eventual text/phone calls.

SRUSA is the only company I would pay if you can't do it yourself, or you have 1 year or less until graduation.

See reviews.

Haven't seen Hudl do much for soccer. Scouting Zone at least lists some of the colleges that viewed your profile and/or explains what the 3 main categories are. Unfortunately many of those are "anonymous" but I think I did pay for 1-year of basic access. Maybe $100? NCSA also shows what colleges viewed the profile and when, which appears to be legit because my kid was often getting emails from coaches right after they "viewed" the profile and followed it, but there's a ton of turnover at NCSA and they want to charge a premium for their service. I know, for a fact, they originally lied about who was looking at the profile. They named colleges that would never have seen their matches. They also want you to pay for the ability to see the schools. At some point they offered a 24 or 36 hour "special" to see the schools, which I took photographs of, but you have to pay for permanent access to those.

I don't pay for any of them but think the free versions of Scouting Zone and NCSA are helpful to an extent. College Fit Finder did virtually nothing for us. Is TGS for ECNL only? That's the only time I've ever seen it.

I wouldn't pay for any of them. Use free features and use for information. You can do it yourself by taking video, working with your kid on the highlight recruiting video and posting to a youtube account, help them find emails for the interested colleges, and keep them active with follow up emails and eventual text/phone calls.

SRUSA is the only company I would pay if you can't do it yourself, or you have 1 year or less until graduation.

See reviews.
Have dd email Highlight Video, email game times when playing at showcase (kick ass) and go to a camp or two of the school that your kid would be interested in. My dd did all three and got lot's interest. You know the story but those three things work amazing. Oh ya, don't ruffle the feathers of the thin skin TM....lol!

In 2009/2010 we used CaptainU and tried a few others. We made a couple month push on several sites.
I would expect that the best site changes over a few years.
I also expect that coaches still like things being all in one place.
If you do their work for them, they will appreciate it. Most do not like recruiting, while some do, make it easy. GEt a site where you can post everything and also answer for your player...(what!?).

The coaches did respond and at the time my daughter had a lot of my edited video to share on the site.
At the time it was strongly advised the players do the process. I rejected that advice. I (yes me) got a lot of good responses. I was the agent, and when they wanted to talk to her, I'd queue up a phone call. Playing in college was not a passion of hers but I knew it was a way to get her in, or get money, or both. There were "mass" 10 or so school mailings, invites to tournaments, video and grade sharing.

Have dd email Highlight Video, email game times when playing at showcase (kick ass) and go to a camp or two of the school that your kid would be interested in. My dd did all three and got lot's interest. You know the story but those three things work amazing. Oh ya, don't ruffle the feathers of the thin skin TM....lol!
My dd did the same and was not playing ECNL or GA the last 2 years of club. Long story won’t go there. She emailed schools from all divisions, no power 5s not realistic for her, with highlights and game times of the upcoming showcases to schools on the colleges attending list. Majority of them watched at least a game. We had a parent talk to coaches watching the games to see who they were there to see and the parent gave feedback to the players. She was then invited out to camps from some that saw her play and she went to one that didn’t work out because of weather so just got a tour of the school some indoor work and was told they want to see her play one more time 11v11. Most of the schools that she emailed and did not go watch her responded anyway and invited her out to a camp. She did not attend any of those camps. Maybe would have if it were a dream school. One of the schools that saw her play wanted to see her play again and she was fortunate to be able to play in front them visited the school got an offer she accepted and is leaving in a week! This was 2 years worth of non encl and ga showcases and no recruiting service. It can happen you just get less exposure and not the top programs. Lots of highlights and emails she also had the schools she had been talking to follow her soccer instagram and often posted new highlights for them to see. Very little to none club coach communication with college coach was needed in her case but I have heard others rely on club coaches connects and word. I guess that depends on how much you “kick ass” when they see you

My dd did the same and was not playing ECNL or GA the last 2 years of club. Long story won’t go there. She emailed schools from all divisions, no power 5s not realistic for her, with highlights and game times of the upcoming showcases to schools on the colleges attending list. Majority of them watched at least a game. We had a parent talk to coaches watching the games to see who they were there to see and the parent gave feedback to the players. She was then invited out to camps from some that saw her play and she went to one that didn’t work out because of weather so just got a tour of the school some indoor work and was told they want to see her play one more time 11v11. Most of the schools that she emailed and did not go watch her responded anyway and invited her out to a camp. She did not attend any of those camps. Maybe would have if it were a dream school. One of the schools that saw her play wanted to see her play again and she was fortunate to be able to play in front them visited the school got an offer she accepted and is leaving in a week! This was 2 years worth of non encl and ga showcases and no recruiting service. It can happen you just get less exposure and not the top programs. Lots of highlights and emails she also had the schools she had been talking to follow her soccer instagram and often posted new highlights for them to see. Very little to none club coach communication with college coach was needed in her case but I have heard others rely on club coaches connects and word. I guess that depends on how much you “kick ass” when they see you
Love this Toon. My dd old teammate played HS Soccer and a non letter league and got a very nice deal for D2. She loves to play the game. Had some D1 looks at the mid majors but wanted to play right away and become a nurse someday. My pals dd is struggling at P5. Coach is trying to run her out of town to free up cap space. P5 does not mess around with their players. If you come to camp out of shape, it can get nasty. This school has to honor the deal for 4 years. The good news is she loves the school, is a great kid and will just practice most likely. She's also burned out and hates the coach.

One of the schools that saw her play wanted to see her play again and she was fortunate to be able to play in front them visited the school got an offer she accepted and is leaving in a week!
Congrats. Is she playing in state or out of state? Will you get to see her play? Our hope is to see our daughter at every home and road game starting in August. Exciting times.

Any thoughts on best time to start emailing coaches to get on radar? Spring of freshman year? Soph year? My understanding is that coaches start taking a look at a class summer after frosh year (e.g. ECNL finals for 08's this summer)?

Any thoughts on best time to start emailing coaches to get on radar? Spring of freshman year? Soph year? My understanding is that coaches start taking a look at a class summer after frosh year (e.g. ECNL finals for 08's this summer)?
Summer before Sophomore year is a good time to ramp things up. Then committing beginning of Junior year. Keep filming and work on a perfect recruiting video. Honestly 90% of ECNL players will find a college at some level, with the better players having more schools to choose from.

We were late to the party with us starting junior year. I was running behind on filming plus pandemic hit. Worked out ok as she grew to about 5'10", put in extra time with keeper coach during pandemic, and was more dominate as a goalkeeper Junior year. Not sure at 5' 6" from a lower league would have produced much interest. She is at orientation with mom today, starts captains practices on Monday.

I'll say again on the girls side, if they really want to play, they will find a school. Some average/good players on NPL/Premier level teams are playing this coming year. Also decide if sitting bench on P5 team is what they want, or chances to start on midlevel D1 or D2 schools is what your kid wants. Until they verbally commit, keep all levels open. Our teens change their minds weekly.

I agree here. Every camp my kid attended, we emailed the coach and said, "are you hosting any standout players?" and used that information to filter our selections. On one occasion, at the 31 minute mark, my kid noticed a standout player and we just left.
I don't understand this. Because there was a great player there, you guys gave up? Were you assuming that the standout player would even want to attend that school? Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't understand this. Because there was a great player there, you guys gave up? Were you assuming that the standout player would even want to attend that school? Maybe I'm missing something.

You're only missing the sarcasm. This was my response to Espola's post on the previous page.

Back