Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

if your club isn't in ecnl or ga. your not good enough for college
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen written here.

Almost all of our players have already received college offers, ranging from scholarships at top 20 programs to admissions support at DIII schools. I've been told we're an "outlier," and yes, what we're doing isn't easy to replicate, but the fundamentals are simple. Focus on development, not wins and losses for 9-year-olds; a great coach is more valuable than a big club name on the kit. And then parents, when you're starting the recruiting process, if you're realistic about your kid's level and make an effort to connect with colleges (playing in showcases, going to ID camps) there are a lot of opportunities to play college soccer.

Almost all of our players have already received college offers, ranging from scholarships at top 20 programs to admissions support at DIII schools. I've been told we're an "outlier," and yes, what we're doing isn't easy to replicate, but the fundamentals are simple. Focus on development, not wins and losses for 9-year-olds; a great coach is more valuable than a big club name on the kit. And then parents, when you're starting the recruiting process, if you're realistic about your kid's level and make an effort to connect with colleges (playing in showcases, going to ID camps) there are a lot of opportunities to play college soccer.

I read that comment as an obvious trolling effort to elicit reactions from parents who have had kids go through this (and have kids playing in college) are only keenly aware that there are different ways to be recruited and that no specific combination of alphabet soup guarantees that your kid WILL find a college or that your kid will NEVER find a college. I have an ECNL alumna daughter playing in college and non-ECNL daughters who wish to play in college. They know that their path will be different than that of their older sister but they know of and personally know enough non-ECNL players playing at the next level to embrace the reality of what is possible.

I read that comment as an obvious trolling effort to elicit reactions from parents who have had kids go through this (and have kids playing in college) are only keenly aware that there are different ways to be recruited and that no specific combination of alphabet soup guarantees that your kid WILL find a college or that your kid will NEVER find a college. I have an ECNL alumna daughter playing in college and non-ECNL daughters who wish to play in college. They know that their path will be different than that of their older sister but they know of and personally know enough non-ECNL players playing at the next level to embrace the reality of what is possible.
I absolutely fed the troll! But the statement contained everything that is wrong with US youth soccer. Expensive, closed "elite" leagues aren't the only pathway to playing in college. And playing in college shouldn't be the goal of playing youth soccer. But that's like shouting at the ocean around here.

Troll and to think someone on here actually said they believe it's me playing paytoplayisgood is insane. Here is my college tip based on what friends are telling me about this year in college soccer as freshman at P5s. Don't show up out of shape. Running and more running is the name of the game in the summer. I get it because college soccer plays all their games in 10 weeks. Most ECNL clubs do not run the players hard and now it's showing. Coach has 35+ players to run to see who is ready to play first game in early August.

I absolutely fed the troll! But the statement contained everything that is wrong with US youth soccer. Expensive, closed "elite" leagues aren't the only pathway to playing in college. And playing in college shouldn't be the goal of playing youth soccer. But that's like shouting at the ocean around here.
100% bro. This all smacked me in the face 4 years ago. I was in denial and actually tested it out. After 7th grade, it's all about Elite Clubs and their Elite Docs finding "a place for daughter" for four years. No coach will talk to your kid seriously without recommendations from the club and the Doc. It is what it is and at this time, it ain;t changing. If your dd is in VA and plays for a big club, this year's total cost to pay to play in the elite soccer league is very expensive and only a "few" can afford this now without any debt or pain that comes with getting into debt for club soccer. Also, my buddies dd is still playing D1 and never played club.

Just click on his name and then click "ignore". Believe me, it will be 5 seconds of time that will be well spent.

The athletic scholarship side is a black hole. Teammates don't discuss it with each other nor do most parents. Impossible to find published data too. The only thing you can trust is the deal presented to your kid. It is also not the norm for scholarships to be guaranteed for 4 years. I believe only the Power 5 and Notre Dame guarantee scholarships. At most colleges it is renewed annually and can change. Even in the Power 5 schools coaches can pressure players to transfer. Also don't believe parents that say their kid got a full athletic scholarship for soccer. That is exceedingly rare.
100% agree with this as well + it really isn't anybody's business but the player, player's family and coach. I would hope folks have the sense to not ask either.

100% agree with this as well + it really isn't anybody's business but the player, player's family and coach. I would hope folks have the sense to not ask either.
Some parents brag about this and that and how amazing it is that their dd is going to big time P5. I asked my good and honest pal about his dd deal. He was happy to tell me and was no hush hush at all. His dd was 4.6, 1400+ SAT and a good soccer player and a fabulous person and got the 50/50 deal. A rich dad I used to know saw me in the parking lot and wanted brag and egg me on and he started with his blow hard pride and how is dd got a ride to this amazing P5 school and my dd should have got one too but I blew it for her for coming on here and taking on a few cheaters and a couple Docs. I asked him for a breakdown and he told me it was rude to ask and non of my business. I won;t ask anymore and I see it's between the Doc and the family and no one else.

Some parents brag about this and that and how amazing it is that their dd is going to big time P5. I asked my good and honest pal about his dd deal. He was happy to tell me and was no hush hush at all. His dd was 4.6, 1400+ SAT and a good soccer player and a fabulous person and got the 50/50 deal. A rich dad I used to know saw me in the parking lot and wanted brag and egg me on and he started with his blow hard pride and how is dd got a ride to this amazing P5 school and my dd should have got one too but I blew it for her for coming on here and taking on a few cheaters and a couple Docs. I asked him for a breakdown and he told me it was rude to ask and non of my business. I won;t ask anymore and I see it's between the Doc and the family and no one else.

It's actually not the DOCs, nor the club coaches business either. Once that negotiation has begun it's nobody's business but DD, family and college coach. If someone is willing to tell you that's fine, but best to steer clear of those discussions. As has been said...it's impossible to know for sure exactly what any one recruit is getting.

It's actually not the DOCs, nor the club coaches business either. Once that negotiation has begun it's nobody's business but DD, family and college coach. If someone is willing to tell you that's fine, but best to steer clear of those discussions. As has been said...it's impossible to know for sure exactly what any one recruit is getting.
True and I just like to ask questions because i was pitched full rides in 8th grade but after more digging, it would only be for a place in North Dakoda. I see your point and I will use more discretion next time.

Don't tell your 81 year old father in-law. I'm pretty sure he is going to say something to somebody he shouldn't. :rolleyes: I'm surprised how many people ask how much? For my daughter the amount offered gives her a feeling of how much they really like her, as well as chances to play Freshman year. Kind of like a way they are backing up their words on playing time.

I do understand the pride we parents feel towards our kid and why some want to talk about it. The thing is the outcomes of you saying something results in the other person thinking 1 - I'm not telling the truth. 2 - My daughter isn't good enough to get that offer, the school made a mistake. 3 - I think I'm getting 50%, 75%, 100% but I'm forgetting about room and board. 4 - Congrats. She is a great player and deserves it.

I'm happy for all parents and their kids that get any amount and a chance to continue playing.

Don't tell your 81 year old father in-law. I'm pretty sure he is going to say something to somebody he shouldn't. :rolleyes: I'm surprised how many people ask how much? For my daughter the amount offered gives her a feeling of how much they really like her, as well as chances to play Freshman year. Kind of like a way they are backing up their words on playing time.

I do understand the pride we parents feel towards our kid and why some want to talk about it. The thing is the outcomes of you saying something results in the other person thinking 1 - I'm not telling the truth. 2 - My daughter isn't good enough to get that offer, the school made a mistake. 3 - I think I'm getting 50%, 75%, 100% but I'm forgetting about room and board. 4 - Congrats. She is a great player and deserves it.

I'm happy for all parents and their kids that get any amount and a chance to continue playing.
Well... can't stop grandpa and grandma no matter how many times we tell them to keep their mouth shut ;). Grandparents notwithstanding, I don't think it's appropriate to say anything. I am also surprised how many people do ask. It's like asking.. "how much do you make?" Your last statement is what is appropriate. She's a great player and deserves it. That is the most appropriate thing for anyone to say and then carry on.

Well... can't stop grandpa and grandma no matter how many times we tell them to keep their mouth shut ;). Grandparents notwithstanding, I don't think it's appropriate to say anything. I am also surprised how many people do ask. It's like asking.. "how much do you make?" Your last statement is what is appropriate. She's a great player and deserves it. That is the most appropriate thing for anyone to say and then carry on.
People don’t want to know “how much did Sally get?”. They want to know “what kind of money is out there and does my kid qualify?”.

No wonder some of my more well do pals gave me that look. Listen, I never asked, "how much you make bro after taxes." Just looking for Athletic breakdown vs Academic. One pal dd got 10% soccer offer to UCLA and no academic. She said no. Instead, she took a 90% soccer deal outside of California. Pops pays 10% out of state. You call this inappropriate Q?

Last edited:
I wish the NCAA published more data. Things like for each school what percent of incoming Freshmen last 4 years? What percent transfer? What percent of Freshmen that don't see minutes their 1st year last 4 years? I am sure there are many more questions. Like how many college players get injured? How many games do they miss? How many tear their ACL? There is a whole world of data missing that could help players and parents make informed decisions. Instead I am sure every single player is sold on being an impact player.

I wish the NCAA published more data. Things like for each school what percent of incoming Freshmen last 4 years? What percent transfer? What percent of Freshmen that don't see minutes their 1st year last 4 years? I am sure there are many more questions. Like how many college players get injured? How many games do they miss? How many tear their ACL? There is a whole world of data missing that could help players and parents make informed decisions. Instead I am sure every single player is sold on being an impact player.
I did all that already the last four years. This year, I will be looking at the 2022s, my dd class. It's shocking and scary. Depression is #1 health issue. Verbal abuse and threats of this and that is also high on the list. Once I go through this year's class, I might share it PM with those who would like to know the truth because no one shares about this.

Back