Question for Parents of Olders

At what age did your child end up in the position that they are playing? Is it better to be versatile or set in one position?

At what age did your child end up in the position that they are playing? Is it better to be versatile or set in one position?

> At what age did your child end up in the position that they are playing?

U11. Starting U16 this season.

> Is it better to be versatile or set in one position?

Depends. If the player is a super duper star then they probably won't have to fight for minutes at their preferred position. If they're middle of the pack or lower then they better be able to play another position if they want to see the field. Since no one can tell the future it's better they prepare to play multiple positions. Just my experience.

Edit: Also should add, that plenty of small field U-little superstars don't pan out at older ages.

> At what age did your child end up in the position that they are playing?

U11. Starting U16 this season.

> Is it better to be versatile or set in one position?

Depends. If the player is a super duper star then they probably won't have to fight for minutes at their preferred position. If they're middle of the pack or lower then they better be able to play another position if they want to see the field. Since no one can tell the future it's better they prepare to play multiple positions. Just my experience.

Edit: Also should add, that plenty of small field U-little superstars don't pan out at older ages.
When did you start to see kids drop off?

I'm obviously a parent of a younger so just navigating through all this so I love reading about everyone's experiences (the good, the bad and the ugly).

When did you start to see kids drop off?

I'm obviously a parent of a younger so just navigating through all this so I love reading about everyone's experiences (the good, the bad and the ugly).

U13, as soon as we moved to the big field. Girls BTW, if that makes a difference. By the end of U12 the girls were too big for the small field and any spot in the opponents half was a scoring opportunity. Also consider that typically girls start puberty earlier, so you can have a "huge" 5'5" inch player who may be 90% of her adult size playing against players who are biologically still little girls. Move to the big field and even though the goal is freaking huge compared to U-Little, 95% of the players didn't have the leg strength or shot accuracy to score consistently from outside the box. Hell, I'd say that is still the case now.

We had the DA/ECNL split for a few years, so I wasn't able to keep track of some of the players from U-Little. They popped up again on my radar this year in ECNL and there were a lot of "Didn't she used to be huge? Didn't she used to be faster? Didn't she used to be better?" type of comments. Anecdotal, but every player in that category had a physical advantage at u-little. Players who had a solid technical base hadn't fallen off in the same way. If they had fallen off at all. I love it when I see players who were good at u-little who are still good at u-older.

My U17 has played every position but goalie through the years. She’s mostly been an attacking player and has settled at CF
My now U15 played forward wing at first, then CB for several years and now mostly CM.
It’s FAR better to be versatile in my opinion. Different teams will have a different mix of players and different needs. Position doesn’t matter. Learn and play your best where the coach puts you. Work on your own time to gain the skills needed to try and impact the game at a different spot if you wish.

Up to U10, play everywhere - my kids did.

From U11, kid now going into U15, has only played the 8. A rare few occasions they have played CB, 6 or 7/11, but really too few to mention.

The other ...
U11 / U12, played CB. Both coaches said they were developing a 6.
U13, played 6.
U14/15 (new coach), played 8 mostly, and a little 10 & 6.
U16 (new coach) played 8/10 at the beginning, then started playing 7 (some 11), and some 6. By the end of the season (last 6 games) was averaging a goal a game from the 7. [exclusively 6 on HS team btw].
U17 ... no idea, same coach but roster changes, so we'll see.

So in short ... it depends on the kid and it depends on the coach, from my experience. I judge it on
  1. Are they enjoying it
  2. Are they getting minutes
The younger plays on a short roster team and plays 100% of minutes pretty much. The older plays on a larger roster team and plays 70-80%. The latter coach will sub everyone at some point but 70% or so is a good return in minutes. The older hated playing 7/11 early in the season but figured it out and enjoyed it towards the end - scoring helps obv.

I think it's extremely beneficial to be allowed to play multiple positions. Having some chance to play right wing makes you a better right fullback and vice versa IMO.

At U-little playing time is usually not a big concern if your coach is not obsessed with winning. As @myself mentioned, playing time does become a consideration at the older age. If you have a stud player on your team who plays almost the entire game at the same position as your kid, it's time for your kid to ask coach if he/she can try a different position.

Position change can happen much later as well. Julie Ertz was Julie Johnston and centerback back in the 2015 World Cup.

My son is U15. He has been slotted as an 11 the last year or so, with some time at the 3. Prior to that he was primarily a 3. He is left foot dominate hence why he has predominately been a 3 or 11. However, he has played every position in his soccer journey and even in the last couple years he has played a spot or situational role in just about every position. I suspect he will play the 11 for the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me, based on the new circumstances, if it changed.

Everyone's experience is different; however, I'm a big proponent of not specializing. First, it seems more often then not positions are based on the makeup of the team and style of play of the coach, and not necessarily you or your child's idea of their best position. Second, playing multiple positions gives you a far better understanding of the game and improves you soccer IQ. If your the 3, it helps to know what the 5 is doing so you can make his/her job easier. And obviously, your ability to play multiple positions gives you more opportunity to play. I also believe modern soccer is more about "Total Football" than necessarily about specialized knowledge. Over time you kid will just evolve into a preferred position, but IMHO I don't think its anything that needs to be forced.

In terms of kids dropping out of soccer, my experience has been in the U12-14 age groups as they develop other interests. Some will call it burnout, but I see it more as a function of other interests. I could be wrong but I think puberty has a huge impact.

My son is U15. He has been slotted as an 11 the last year or so, with some time at the 3. Prior to that he was primarily a 3. He is left foot dominate hence why he has predominately been a 3 or 11. However, he has played every position in his soccer journey and even in the last couple years he has played a spot or situational role in just about every position. I suspect he will play the 11 for the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me, based on the new circumstances, if it changed.

Everyone's experience is different; however, I'm a big proponent of not specializing. First, it seems more often then not positions are based on the makeup of the team and style of play of the coach, and not necessarily you or your child's idea of their best position. Second, playing multiple positions gives you a far better understanding of the game and improves you soccer IQ. If your the 3, it helps to know what the 5 is doing so you can make his/her job easier. And obviously, your ability to play multiple positions gives you more opportunity to play. I also believe modern soccer is more about "Total Football" than necessarily about specialized knowledge. Over time you kid will just evolve into a preferred position, but IMHO I don't think its anything that needs to be forced.

In terms of kids dropping out of soccer, my experience has been in the U12-14 age groups as they develop other interests. Some will call it burnout, but I see it more as a function of other interests. I could be wrong but I think puberty has a huge impact.
Couldn't agree more. A leftie can play 3 or 11, or the left CB in a back 3. Some coaches like to play a leftie as the 7 so that they can cut inside. Versatility is great for a player. My older kid's coach is eastern European and a big advocate of total football. The older kid has played 4-5 positions in a game on plenty of occasions, many times so players coming in can play (some are less versatile), and sometimes when the coach switches formations or wants to create specific match ups based on how the game is shaping up.

All soccer players need to be able to dribble, pass and shoot. Some players will gravitate to a specific position at a younger age. Your coach will serve them well by having them play a variety of positions (younger ages for sure. I'd argue that at older ages it's also important- What if your star center back isn't able to make a game? Who can fill in?)

The timing of runs and the combination play with other players gets a little tricky if you move a player into an unfamiliar spot. But if your team practices a possession based game with players looking to exploit overloads- It's a bit more universal.

Your player should always be able to play at least 2 positions and we are not talking about the 7 and the 11 or 6 and 8. Your player should be able to play a defensive/mid position, mid/forward or forward/defensive position until the age of 15 for girls and 16 for boys. That being said, all children develop differently and if you have a kid that gravitates towards defense, mid or offense only, then it is what it is and just make sure they're spectacular at their position or they will be displaced and very unhappy if a better player comes along in that position.

If you're player is planning on playing beyond club in College or elsewhere having the ability to play multi positions can be the difference in making a squad, getting minutes, or being recruited.

Being able to defend and attack and switch at anytime really can help a player in the long run.

My youngest who's now a incoming college freshman still hasn't settled on a single position and will play anywhere to get minutes. He generally played offensive central positions before learning the wings and all the defensive positions. He spent big parts of several seasons filling in or learning new positions due to teammate injuries, coaching changes or whatever the case was.

One of the big colleges on a recruiting call told him they value center backs and center forwards more than anything else. Now if you can play both of those at a high level well let's just say your player could be in demand. When a players is @ showcase or playoffs and is seen doing well at multiple positions they will attract attention.

When going out for a new squad or team the most popular positions are generally forwards, the competition for those spots can be much greater vs say a center back o defensive mid. Same with regular mids, lots more of them vs full backs or wingers.

Good advice by many of the parents. IF your kid is going to be a keeper, come over to the keeper forum for specific advice/help.
Best of luck to you and your kid.

PS Based on what I have heard and seen, if your kid is going to play in the back line or the defensive mid, they REALLY need to understand the role. Pressure increases the closer you get to the net - they need to have the mental side down to do well.

U13, as soon as we moved to the big field. Girls BTW, if that makes a difference. By the end of U12 the girls were too big for the small field and any spot in the opponents half was a scoring opportunity. Also consider that typically girls start puberty earlier, so you can have a "huge" 5'5" inch player who may be 90% of her adult size playing against players who are biologically still little girls. Move to the big field and even though the goal is freaking huge compared to U-Little, 95% of the players didn't have the leg strength or shot accuracy to score consistently from outside the box. Hell, I'd say that is still the case now.

We had the DA/ECNL split for a few years, so I wasn't able to keep track of some of the players from U-Little. They popped up again on my radar this year in ECNL and there were a lot of "Didn't she used to be huge? Didn't she used to be faster? Didn't she used to be better?" type of comments. Anecdotal, but every player in that category had a physical advantage at u-little. Players who had a solid technical base hadn't fallen off in the same way. If they had fallen off at all. I love it when I see players who were good at u-little who are still good at u-older.
Just a note that this is not true of the boys at u12. Most of the strikers at even a silver level team can bang it from outside the box (maybe not all the defenders but definitely the attacking players and many cbs).

Just a note that this is not true of the boys at u12. Most of the strikers at even a silver level team can bang it from outside the box (maybe not all the defenders but definitely the attacking players and many cbs).
Flight 1 girls are the same. Most of the players on the field can bang it from outside the box.

I think it's extremely beneficial to be allowed to play multiple positions. Having some chance to play right wing makes you a better right fullback and vice versa IMO.

At U-little playing time is usually not a big concern if your coach is not obsessed with winning. As @myself mentioned, playing time does become a consideration at the older age. If you have a stud player on your team who plays almost the entire game at the same position as your kid, it's time for your kid to ask coach if he/she can try a different position.

Position change can happen much later as well. Julie Ertz was Julie Johnston and centerback back in the 2015 World Cup.
This is true particularly of the striker role which is likely to be occupied by one of the best players and requires a particular skill set

100% agree with the posts in favor of versatility - even if it is uncomfortable for the player at first because they are strong or have a comfort zone in a particular position. If your player gets promoted to a semi-pro or pro level team where they are very young and getting advanced opportunities, they may not play in the position they are most comfortable in, and they have to show they can adapt and thrive in different positions. The main issue with being versatile is that if a coach has a loaded roster and wants to get his/her best 11 players on the field for a big tournament, he/she may move your player to a different position if your player can handle it better than the other players: a "no good deed goes unpunished" situation. But, the positives of being versatile far outweigh the few negatives.

Even if you kid is going to be a keeper have them get some minutes on the field as well - my daughter didn't (specialized early) and it took a year of intense work on her part when the game switched from long ball to almost everything out of the back and possession soccer. Keepers need to be just as good with their feet as their hands. Now at practice you can't pick her out as the keeper during the possession drills.

I wonder how many kids have flamed out at the striker position. The kid scores a million goals at the Ulittles, and the parents don't want them playing any other position, so they can't make it in the squad for a top team when they get older.

but, I pretty much agree with everyone , its more likely than not that they will be on teams throughout their career where someone on the team is better than them at their preferred position

Back