President Joe Biden

This is not true at all. I would say that everyone wants those things for themselves, but where things go wrong is that (mostly ‘publicans) don’t give a shit whether anyone else has any of them. It is the American Way.

Equality for example - “I want to be treated with dignity and respect, but I don’t want you to be able to get married like I can because you’re gay. I don’t want you to get the tax benefits I get, because you’re gay. I also want to be able to kick you out of my business because you are gay, but I don’t want anyone to be able to do that to me because of the excuse I use to kick you out of mine, namely my religion. And don’t get me started on how you black people have had enough time to get over centuries of oppression, mistreatment and discrimination. If you don’t want cops to shoot you, you shouldn’t storm the Capitol, I mean hold a bag of chips or especially maybe steal a pack of smokes.”

The starting point to fixing a problem is recognizing it exists.

I was coming at from the perspective of the individual....these are the things people want for themselves.

This is a great read:

Says he wrote some books. A quick search of the NY Times best seller list didn't produce any results for some reason.

I still stand by my prediction that you will see that outfit at some Halloween parties this coming year.

Did he actually break anything by the way? Or was he just following the actual rioters in and then taking every opportunity to get a photo op?

Best quote in the article?
"He is a big believer in using psychedelic ceremonies for mental health. Somehow all those psychedelics failed to turn him into a liberal."

"On Thursday, Parler was the most popular app in the United States. By Monday, three of the four Silicon Valley monopolies united to destroy it.

With virtual unanimity, leading U.S. liberals celebrated this use of Silicon Valley monopoly power to shut down Parler, just as they overwhelmingly cheered the prior two extraordinary assertions of tech power to control U.S. political discourse: censorship of The New York Post’s reporting on the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop, and the banning of the U.S. President from major platforms. Indeed, one would be hard-pressed to find a single national liberal-left politician even expressing concerns about any of this, let alone opposing it.

Not only did leading left-wing politicians not object but some of them were the ones who pleaded with Silicon Valley to use their power this way. After the internet-policing site Sleeping Giants flagged several Parler posts that called for violence, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez asked: “What are @Apple and @GooglePlay doing about this?” Once Apple responded by removing Parler from its App Store — a move that House Democrats just three months earlier warned was dangerous anti-trust behavior — she praised Apple and then demanded to know: “Good to see this development from @Apple. @GooglePlay what are you going to do about apps being used to organize violence on your platform?”

----

"As Silicon Valley censorship radically escalated over the past several months — banning pre-election reporting by The New York Post about the Biden family, denouncing and deleting multiple posts from the U.S. President and then terminating his access altogether, mass-removal of right-wing accounts — so many people migrated to Parler that it was catapulted to the number one spot on the list of most-downloaded apps on the Apple Play Store, the sole and exclusive means which iPhone users have to download apps. “Overall, the app was the 10th most downloaded social media app in 2020 with 8.1 million new installs,” reported TechCrunch.

It looked as if Parler had proven critics of Silicon Valley monopolistic power wrong. Their success showed that it was possible after all to create a new social media platform to compete with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And they did so by doing exactly what Silicon Valley defenders long insisted should be done: if you don’t like the rules imposed by tech giants, go create your own platform with different rules.

But today, if you want to download, sign up for, or use Parler, you will be unable to do so. That is because three Silicon Valley monopolies — Amazon, Google and Apple — abruptly united to remove Parler from the internet, exactly at the moment when it became the most-downloaded app in the country."

If one were looking for evidence to demonstrate that these tech behemoths are, in fact, monopolies that engage in anti-competitive behavior in violation of antitrust laws, and will obliterate any attempt to compete with them in the marketplace, it would be difficult to imagine anything more compelling than how they just used their unconstrained power to utterly destroy a rising competitor."

Amazon does not have a monopoly on cloud server services. Google and Apple don’t have a monopoly on either phones or operating systems, let alone on access to the Internet. Facebook and Twitter don’t have a monopoly on social media, let alone all media. Trumpy McShit for Brains can walk down the hall and hold a press conference at any time, and the NY Post can write about it. And Parler will let you Qs say whatever you want once it finds a cloud server vender to replace the one that fired them for breaching it’s contract.

The whole idea that companies should be forced to prop up a media outlet (The New York Post) or social media platform (Parler) that can’t compete in the market is ridiculous. If the New York Post wants to reach a bigger audience, it should provide value instead of making up obvious bullshit lies that no one cares about and legitimate companies want no part in supporting. Hunter Biden left a laptop with incredibly important information in a small NJ computer repair shop run by a magat who then gave it to perhaps the creepiest sycophant in American history, who then gave it to the DOJ - his DOJ - and they haven’t corrobarated any of that b.s.? Sure.

The desperation of these magat losers is off the hook. They lost the election, they lost their coup, they lost their favorite business because it can’t compete in a free market. F**king pathetic. I’d say that pretty soon they’ll be demanding that we should follow the lead of autocratic third world countries, but they already are. Rational people are seeing in full splendor how magats are perfectly willing magats are to take down democracy because they aren’t getting what they want.

This must be more of the #UNITY I have been hearing about.

"President-elect Joseph R. Biden on Monday said he is looking for ways that the Senate could hold an impeachment trial for President Trump while working on the new administration’s agenda."

Only magats want “unity” in the sense they don’t want consequences for their actions. Whiner. Loser. Your Orange Orangutan master is going to pay dearly. Just accept it.

If you want unity, act like it. If you don’t, stop throwing a hissy fit that a real president is acting like one.

Nice to know you are about censorship. NGO has been writing about Antifa for some time. Been attacked by them and has a lawsuit against some of the perps.

So I guess that is enough to be banned? Or what specifically makes you agree that he should be off Twitter?

He's also reported on violence perpetrated by the Proud Boys, reported on the takeover of the Capitol in real time, and was one of the first to debunk the entire Antifa was really attacking the Capitol thing (while at the same time pointing out the identify of some known Antifa infiltrators).

He's also reported on violence perpetrated by the Proud Boys, reported on the takeover of the Capitol in real time, and was one of the first to debunk the entire Antifa was really attacking the Capitol thing (while at the same time pointing out the identify of some known Antifa infiltrators).
That is correct.

The R's, or enough of them, have to want unity also. They have shown nothing in the last 12 years to suggest they are interested in that. Biden can go down that road, and needs to keep his disparate party together, for sure - and that won't be easy. But he can't do that if the R's behave like they have during every D presidency since the 90s.

Neither party is blameless. Both need to want some semblance of unity. Biden's 47 years, or whatever, in politics and given that he is a centrist are probably the two biggest things he has going for him. The country needs stability IMV.
Since the advent of “conservative media” and their realization that lots of money can be made by polarizing their audience and assuring brand loyalty America has become more and more divided. Social media has accelerated that trend. The left media although nowhere near as profitable or wide spread, after giving the right side a huge head start, has also furthered the divide. No more Walter Cronkite and the left has no Rush Limbaugh. IMHO the extreme right like the extreme left are distinct minorities, but the right are the squeakiest wheel on the planet so seem to get more attention.

So you want the US to be the same as China and dictating what can (and by extension cannot) be said on social media.

Just because someone someone says "Facebook and Twitter are the modern public square" doesn't make it true. The First Amendment doesn't allow any speech, there are limits, such as incitement to riot, incitement to commit murder, incitement to commit criminal acts, collusion to commit criminal acts etc. I agree that that rules should be consistent for everyone.

The Polish regime as a leader in anything democratic is hilarious. The same regime that decided to lower the retirement age of the judiciary so that it could purge its ranks. The regime that brought in a law that would allow them to discipline the judiciary for their rulings (if they disagree with the govt. basically), essentially eliminating judicial independence. They are surely the gold standard for something, but free speech certainly isn't it, neither is democracy but there you go.
China is a country, Facebook, Twitter and Amazon are private companies there are terms of use, break ‘em and pay the consequences. Pretty simple really, a concept even an ironworker can understand! Lol!

There's a very simple fix to this (well, at least simple at first glance and I'll get into why it's not really simple at all). What the government can do is basically tell the ISP, o.k. if you want immunity, you can moderate but it can only be moderation in line with the established first amendment case law and it must be administered politically neutrally. If you don't want immunity, that's fine you can do whatever you want but then you are responsible for the content of your users (including CR, defamation, incitement). For the larger ones, there has to be an appeals process to maintain that immunity, with an ultimate resort to the courts with attorneys fees awarded for frivolous actions. It's also probably a good idea, given what happened to Parler, to break up some of the tech industry on antitrust grounds. You are either a newspaper that gets to make content decisions, or you're a bulleting board...pick one.

Here's why the left will object and why it's not so simple....there's no hate speech exception in the US Constitution. So you couldn't ban nasty racist speech under that formulation unless it's an actual call to violence or something defamatory.
Social Media platforms are not newspapers and never were, hence they have different rules. Comparing them displays a fundamental lack of understanding.

Amazon does not have a monopoly on cloud server services. Google and Apple don’t have a monopoly on either phones or operating systems, let alone on access to the Internet. Facebook and Twitter don’t have a monopoly on social media, let alone all media. Trumpy McShit for Brains can walk down the hall and hold a press conference at any time, and the NY Post can write about it. And Parler will let you Qs say whatever you want once it finds a cloud server vender to replace the one that fired them for breaching it’s contract.

The whole idea that companies should be forced to prop up a media outlet (The New York Post) or social media platform (Parler) that can’t compete in the market is ridiculous. If the New York Post wants to reach a bigger audience, it should provide value instead of making up obvious bullshit lies that no one cares about and legitimate companies want no part in supporting. Hunter Biden left a laptop with incredibly important information in a small NJ computer repair shop run by a magat who then gave it to perhaps the creepiest sycophant in American history, who then gave it to the DOJ - his DOJ - and they haven’t corrobarated any of that b.s.? Sure.

The desperation of these magat losers is off the hook. They lost the election, they lost their coup, they lost their favorite business because it can’t compete in a free market. F**king pathetic. I’d say that pretty soon they’ll be demanding that we should follow the lead of autocratic third world countries, but they already are. Rational people are seeing in full splendor how magats are perfectly willing magats are to take down democracy because they aren’t getting what they want.

Will Merrick Garland be exposing the contents of the laptop now allegedly in DOJ possession?

Nice to know you are about censorship. NGO has been writing about Antifa for some time. Been attacked by them and has a lawsuit against some of the perps.

So I guess that is enough to be banned? Or what specifically makes you agree that he should be off Twitter?

I agreed with what she wrote in the article. Didn't you read it?

Social Media platforms are not newspapers and never were, hence they have different rules. Comparing them displays a fundamental lack of understanding.

"Never were". Ah that's where you aren't understanding....initially they were. I actually wrote 2 law review articles on the subject, one of which was cited in drafting the hearings on the legislation. Hence the need for Section 230.

Who were the antifa infiltrators and what were they doing?

"On Thursday, Parler was the most popular app in the United States. By Monday, three of the four Silicon Valley monopolies united to destroy it.

With virtual unanimity, leading U.S. liberals celebrated this use of Silicon Valley monopoly power to shut down Parler, just as they overwhelmingly cheered the prior two extraordinary assertions of tech power to control U.S. political discourse: censorship of The New York Post’s reporting on the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop, and the banning of the U.S. President from major platforms. Indeed, one would be hard-pressed to find a single national liberal-left politician even expressing concerns about any of this, let alone opposing it.

Not only did leading left-wing politicians not object but some of them were the ones who pleaded with Silicon Valley to use their power this way. After the internet-policing site Sleeping Giants flagged several Parler posts that called for violence, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez asked: “What are @Apple and @GooglePlay doing about this?” Once Apple responded by removing Parler from its App Store — a move that House Democrats just three months earlier warned was dangerous anti-trust behavior — she praised Apple and then demanded to know: “Good to see this development from @Apple. @GooglePlay what are you going to do about apps being used to organize violence on your platform?”

----

"As Silicon Valley censorship radically escalated over the past several months — banning pre-election reporting by The New York Post about the Biden family, denouncing and deleting multiple posts from the U.S. President and then terminating his access altogether, mass-removal of right-wing accounts — so many people migrated to Parler that it was catapulted to the number one spot on the list of most-downloaded apps on the Apple Play Store, the sole and exclusive means which iPhone users have to download apps. “Overall, the app was the 10th most downloaded social media app in 2020 with 8.1 million new installs,” reported TechCrunch.

It looked as if Parler had proven critics of Silicon Valley monopolistic power wrong. Their success showed that it was possible after all to create a new social media platform to compete with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And they did so by doing exactly what Silicon Valley defenders long insisted should be done: if you don’t like the rules imposed by tech giants, go create your own platform with different rules.

But today, if you want to download, sign up for, or use Parler, you will be unable to do so. That is because three Silicon Valley monopolies — Amazon, Google and Apple — abruptly united to remove Parler from the internet, exactly at the moment when it became the most-downloaded app in the country."

If one were looking for evidence to demonstrate that these tech behemoths are, in fact, monopolies that engage in anti-competitive behavior in violation of antitrust laws, and will obliterate any attempt to compete with them in the marketplace, it would be difficult to imagine anything more compelling than how they just used their unconstrained power to utterly destroy a rising competitor."

Amazon in this context is nothing like a monopoly. Calling it one in this context displays a fundamental lack of understanding of the technology space. There is a plethora of platform providers or if you want to build it yourself, data center providers, that can facilitate what AWS does. If they don't want to deal with Parler, then they don't have to. Parler, as a private company, has zero rights to compel other private companies to do business with it.

The Google & Apple stores are basically monopolies for iOS & Android, although you can Jailbreak a phone and load what you want, easier on Android obviously. That isn't new and there are ongoing cases challenging that, esp. with Apple - see Spotify. There's possible traction here, but Parler signed up to the T&Cs and if they breached them, then legally they are in a bind.

The last sentence above is utter BS. Parler is not a competitor of Apple, Google or Amazon. They were looking to compete with Facebook (Instagram) and Twitter, who have nothing to do with the aforementioned 3. If Greenwald is making that argument, he should at least get some basic facts right.

"Never were". Ah that's where you aren't understanding....initially they were. I actually wrote 2 law review articles on the subject, one of which was cited in drafting the hearings on the legislation. Hence the need for Section 230.
Or do you mean that someone classed them as newspapers incorrectly, hence section 230 was needed to clarify that they were not (never were).

Back