ODP in California

If you have chosen <….>a DPL club going nowhere, over all other options in your area...you're not serious about your kids soccer future, let alone an ODP discussion.

Just going to assume you have a bone to pick with a specific club.

Otherwise, that reaction to an 11-12 yr old’s parents decision to play locally is a bit over the top. Who knows if there were other ‘top league’ clubs available (offers) back at tryout time in the Covid season. Not to mention that puberty does play a big factor at that age for some, so the player today may not be the same player from this time last year relative to their peers.

In fact, it’s a bit of the same self stroking that you just complained about. You must prefer your parenting choice of clubs.

Also, who in their right soccer mind would mention SD Force? If you have chosen SD Force, a DPL club going nowhere, over all other options in your area...you're not serious about your kids soccer future, let alone an ODP discussion.
My distaste for Force is well documented, but at the younger ages you have to give them credit for developing players. The year my kid played with the club, their '05 team was stacked. Many of those players went on to play for DA & ECNL teams. The DOC coached & played possession soccer. As the kids get near HS age they tend to move on (aside from 1 combo age group team that they were able to keep together until last year) as they do not have a platform to help with college recruiting.

Well your assuming that a club is also part of USYS and they want to give CS more registration fees and register phantom teams or something along those lines.

Obviously that's not the case and there are large number of players that don't have CS cards anymore.

Nothing CS does is open up to ECNL players, dual registration means your part of CS also and paying for that and following all those guidelines that go with.
No assumption. They included automatic registration to USYS with the training/tryout fees. This isn't a CS card, it is USYS card. USYS requires this as it runs the ODP program nation wide. As I mentioned over 66% of the girls 05 team is registered with US Soccer (actually might be even higher as I only see 2 CS players - mine included) so they had to get a USYS card which was automatic when they signed up.

Just going to assume you have a bone to pick with a specific club.

Otherwise, that reaction to an 11-12 yr old’s parents decision to play locally is a bit over the top. Who knows if there were other ‘top league’ clubs available (offers) back at tryout time in the Covid season. Not to mention that puberty does play a big factor at that age for some, so the player today may not be the same player from this time last year relative to their peers.

In fact, it’s a bit of the same self stroking that you just complained about. You must prefer your parenting choice of clubs.
No bone, I believe level of club/league matters...you apparently don't. Agree to disagree

My distaste for Force is well documented, but at the younger ages you have to give them credit for developing players. The year my kid played with the club, their '05 team was stacked. Many of those players went on to play for DA & ECNL teams. The DOC coached & played possession soccer. As the kids get near HS age they tend to move on (aside from 1 combo age group team that they were able to keep together until last year) as they do not have a platform to help with college recruiting.
All clubs, and rec leagues for that matter, develop players...the question is at what level have they been recognized for it.

No bone, I believe level of club/league matters...you apparently don't. Agree to disagree

I won’t say that league doesn’t matter at certain ages for certain purposes. If your comment was a general statement, then we may be in close alignment. If you’re being specific to 11-12 year old girls, then agree to disagree.

I won’t say that league doesn’t matter at certain ages for certain purposes. If your comment was a general statement, then we may be in close alignment. If you’re being specific to 11-12 year old girls, then agree to disagree.
Not interested in going round and round, so I'll leave it at this: specifically, all years beyond 7v7 are key developmental years for those serious about their kids soccer future...key point being "for those serious."

09 Girls team looks like mostly ECNL teams Slammers, Blues, Eagles, Beach & Legends. Also top Albion & SD Force teams. Should be interesting if they can come together.

It looks like 17/18 of the traveling 09 Girls ODP SoCal team are from SoCal ECNL teams. Mostly from the ECNL teams you mentioned. I believe the Albion SD and SD Force player moved to ECNL teams last summer.

See first word...

What boys team does Mary play for?

Updated:
These are just a handful of the ones that I know of in the Boys 2022 Class that are Top 150 TDS.

There have been and are Top 150 TDS players from SoCal.

Non-Top 150 but was ODP and signed with UCLA

Other TDS Top 150 from other areas that did ODP

Not interested in going round and round, so I'll leave it at this: specifically, all years beyond 7v7 are key developmental years for those serious about their kids soccer future...key point being "for those serious."
Soccer future?

There are all of about 300 US born MLS soccer players.

So, if your son is one of the top 30 players his year, he might have a decent shot at a ten year pro career. Amazing stuff, and I wish him luck.

If opposing MLS Next coaches don’t already know him by name, number, and playing style, he isn’t top 30.

Reduce that count to “top 4” if you have a daughter. And “top 1” if you want her to make real money.

IMHO the coach and the make up of other players on the team are more important than club/league. My DD is playing D1 and played for local non-letter teams/league for all her years of playing club. All of her teammates from her graduating class are playing in college. She could have played at other big name clubs with all the letter leagues, but she chose her team based on the coaches and the chemistry (as well as the skill level) she felt with her teammates. In today's ever changing soccer landscape I'm sure my kid's experience is the exception, and not the rule, but that's not to say it can't be done. She never would have settled to play for a mediocre coach with mediocre players b/c of the name of the club or the league in which they played.

This is a typical thread devolving into a parent feel good exercise through their kids.

Also, who in their right soccer mind would mention SD Force? If you have chosen SD Force, a DPL club going nowhere, over all other options in your area...you're not serious about your kids soccer future, let alone an ODP discussion.

Where is your kiddie playing in college?

2006 girls ODP Cal South beats Alaska 14-1 and beats Colorado 10-0.
Why would you want to drive to AZ to play in games like that?
Alaska, I get it, I have seen Alaska teams at Regionals in years past.
Colorado, on the other hand, is obviously not sending any Rapids or Real Colorado players, or any competitive players to this ODP thing.

Colorado, on the other hand, is obviously not sending any Rapids or Real Colorado players, or any competitive players to this ODP thing.
Yikes, that is brutal. Looks like our 2006 girls team has a few ECNL players (including some very good ones), but most are not top SoCal players. I suspect lack of participation here is a combination of girls preferring to play hs (although it appears you can do both) and realizing that making the trip to AZ for 14-1 games is a waste of a time.

That 2006 Cal South girls team was really good. 05 girls scrimmaged them a couple times before heading to AZ so I had a chance to watch them. Unfortunately the 2006 team lost I believe in penalty kicks in the semis.

5 Cal South teams won it all. Arizona and Utah had solid teams across the board. Happy to say the 2005 Cal South Girls won 2-1 in the finals and my daughter had a great time.

Back