Neighbors Sue City of San Diego over Surf Cup overusage

It always seemed odd to me that Surf was able to do business at the scale they're running surrounded by so many nimbys with ridiculous amounts of $$$ and free time to complain about things
I see it both ways Carlsbad. What's a nimbys?

NIMBY = Not In My Backyard

It's a way to describe people that buy property + then after purchasing want nothing else around them to change.
I learn something new every day Carlsbad. Compromise is the best solution. I grew up in Laguna. Everyone tries to build up to get that Oceanview and then attack each other at city council meetings. It can get nasty. I do feel bad for NIMBY folks around that area. It's one thing to complain about a new construction, but being trapped in your own house on a weekend is no bueno. I would go nuts and just leave for the weekend to Cabo. I know a couple (my wife is dear friends with the wife) that live up in Rancho Santa Fe. I told them my dd played for Surf and hubby went from a very nice person to full anger in 1 second. I triggered him. I never bring that name up now.

I learn something new every day Carlsbad. Compromise is the best solution. I grew up in Laguna. Everyone tries to build up to get that Oceanview and then attack each other at city council meetings. It can get nasty. I do feel bad for NIMBY folks around that area. It's one thing to complain about a new construction, but being trapped in your own house on a weekend is no bueno. I would go nuts and just leave for the weekend to Cabo. I know a couple (my wife is dear friends with the wife) that live up in Rancho Santa Fe. I told them my dd played for Surf and hubby went from a very nice person to full anger in 1 second. I triggered him. I never bring that name up now.
Traffic and light pollution are just what's being used to drag Surf through court.

Surf goes through a lot of players. I bet 10-20 per team get rejected in some form or another before U13 + this has been going on for 40 years? What this means is for every 10 parents of players that like Surf theres 100+ that dont. Nature of the beast with youth sports. But DM / RSF is old money + power + time + not the kind of people you want to upset. Eventually theyll get their way.

My guess is the locals think that the lawsuit will put surf back to the 25 days. My guess this lawsuit will result in a new number of days when its all over. ignorance of the law or a signed contract is not a defense so if the language is actaully clear that 25 days is the maximum then it will be interesting to see how Surf responds.

I think the fields are over used. They are pushing the bounds of money and mother nature's ability to maintain them in really good shape.

I think there’s a balance someway higher than 25 days a year, but less than 52 weekends a year. Rich neighbors should be happy in their mansions and zip it. I’m more worried about the fields getting overused.

I spoke with someone in the know about this yesterday. The reason Surf + Surf Cup Sports haven't been chased out of town by the nimbys is because they bring in a STAGGERING amount of revenue to the city of Del Mar.

Personally I believe traffic could be better addressed + probably needs to be updated either way for both the Polo Fields and the Horse Track on the other side of the 5. Light pollution only occurs in the winter when theres shorter days.

A simple look at Surf Cup intake, lets take 300 teams for youngers.

You get a registration fee per team.
300 teams, so lets assume 12 cars rentals per team paying $12 a day for parking per car. Car park fees alone are lucrative.
Don't forget incidentals such has car rental, hotel rooms, etc.

No wonder the article stated the city hadn't really done much about the complaints.

I spoke with someone in the know about this yesterday. The reason Surf + Surf Cup Sports haven't been chased out of town by the nimbys is because they bring in a STAGGERING amount of revenue to the city of Del Mar.

Personally I believe traffic could be better addressed + probably needs to be updated either way for both the Polo Fields and the Horse Track on the other side of the 5. Light pollution only occurs in the winter when theres shorter days.
Can you ask the friend in the know what ever happen to the lights that were supposed to be put in by 2017. That was the first lie I was sold on. Could you imagine having lights to look down on every night as a NIMBY? One solution is to add a another lane both ways. My dd had to come off the bench for being late to a game because it took me 45 minutes to get to the fields off the frwy. Add the 2 and half hours it took to get to off ramp from OC and let's just say their was some yelling in my car that day. My dd had a better chance just getting out and walking to the fields. Anyway, lesson learned. I agree with dad ref. Money speaks louder then compromise sometimes. I do want the kids to have access so hopefully the rich and can find common ground. P.S. Fix the parking lot so no oil and tranny fluid run off into our beautiful lagoons.

I understand surf is enemy #1 within our soccer community , kinda like how everyone hates the Yankees , but none of us should be rooting for an outcome that leads to less available field space in Southern CA

plaintiffs are going have a tough time garnering much sympathy here

id bet on Surf being just fine

you sure about which City? Open Google Maps and search for Del Mar. Their boundary is nowhere near the fields, and they really don’t have many hotels drawing families

you sure about which City? Open Google Maps and search for Del Mar. Their boundary is nowhere near the fields, and they really don’t have many hotels drawing families
The person I spoke with read through the Surf business proposal for PR angles.

I assumed it was presented to the city of Del Mar.

Back