If you could...

Look for a coach who your daughter enjoys going to practice with. Look for a team that is welcoming to both your daughter and you. Go watch the coach during a game and just watch the coach and see how he behaves on the sideline. If this is going to be the people you surround your daughter and yourself with 3-4 days a week are you comfortable with that? Trust your gut on whether your family will be happy. After all that worry about how good the team is.
I wish I could agree with this 40 times

If you mean that at this age (2009), you're pretty much correct. But if you mean club soccer as a whole, then no.
Name 1 club with an incentive to develop professional soccer players? I'll wait.

College soccer doesn't require technical players, and neither does MLS, and neither does the USMNT.

Club soccer is recreational. The more money you spend the more uppity fun club you can join. All kids with money can join a club, not all kids with no money can join these clubs. Are you competing against the best, or are you competing against the best who can afford it?

US soccer is not a meritocracy. Pay to play is all that is going on right now. You either pay or you don't play. It's just that simple. 99% of parents who envision soccer for their kids after HS are thinking a college scholarship, not a professional soccer career. A bachelors degree or a master degree far outweighs anything that the 0.1% of kids will ever get out of professional soccer.

Name 1 club with an incentive to develop professional soccer players? I'll wait.

College soccer doesn't require technical players, and neither does MLS, and neither does the USMNT.

Club soccer is recreational. The more money you spend the more uppity fun club you can join. All kids with money can join a club, not all kids with no money can join these clubs. Are you competing against the best, or are you competing against the best who can afford it?
Get over yourself.

If you're so focused on developing professional soccer payers, what are you doing posting on this forum.

None of us are talking about professional academies. Just club soccer for kids.

Get over yourself.

If you're so focused on developing professional soccer payers, what are you doing posting on this forum.

None of us are talking about professional academies. Just club soccer for kids.
If they're not in the business to develop professional soccer players what are they doing? Exactly. It's recreational no need to get emotional about it.

As stated prior to your rambling. If you got money to burn, enjoy the journey.

I know several kids playing college soccer after lengthy club careers. That’s hardly recreational. Some club is certainly recreational as many are just burning money. I agree that a majority are going nowhere.

But there’s definite potential to get value out of playing.

If they're not in the business to develop professional soccer players what are they doing? Exactly. It's recreational no need to get emotional about it.

As stated prior to your rambling. If you got money to burn, enjoy the journey.
Looks like you're the emotional one. And of course 9 year olds shouldn't be professionals.

As for the parents, a few thousand a year (many local clubs a lot less too) is not a lot, especially compared to the cost of other kids activities. Maybe you need a better job?

Good news! Your wait is over. MLS Development Academies have an incentive to develop professional soccer players under the "Homegrown Players" incentive, which exempts those players from the SuperDraft. A player qualifies as a Homegrown Player if the player has been a member of a club's youth academy for at least one year and has met the necessary training and retention requirements. So the list looks like this:

1. FC Dallas (18 Homegrown players signed)
2. LA Galaxy
3. NY Red Bulls
4. Real Salt Lake
5. Vancouver Whitecaps
etc., etc.

In addition to the above incentive for the MLS affiliated DA programs, we should see some very quick changes come up with the new US Soccer President, as virtually all candidates roundly support paying (passing down) solidarity payments and training fees under FIFA RSTP (Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players).

With regard to pay-to-play, please appreciate that virtually every DA Club with boys U15 and above teams are fully funded ... i.e. parents don't pay for training and travel.

With regard to the non-DA teams most of these teams have scholarships for economically disadvantaged kids that represent Flight 1/Gold/Premiere/ODP talent. In my area (Temecula Valley), I can tell you that Arsenal, Hawks, Temecula United and Murrieta Surf all have kids playing for free.

Finally, name a youth sport where parents are not asked to pay? Baseball? Football? Basketball? Hockey? We need to get off this whole pay-to-play issue and recognize that for the vast majority of kids, all youth sports are supposed to be recreational. Travel and Club teams simply afford parents and players an opportunity to get better coaching, play more games, have more practices, and play on much better fields with better referees. Nothing wrong with it.

Looks like you're the emotional one. And of course 9 year olds shouldn't be professionals.

As for the parents, a few thousand a year (many local clubs a lot less too) is not a lot, especially compared to the cost of other kids activities. Maybe you need a better job?
Everyone settle down. Kids/families play club for different reasons. Some play because AYSO and Core aren’t competitive enough. Some want to play year round and want a professional coach that doesn’t play “daddy ball”. Some play to get to college some have WNT it pro dreams. There’s a club and a team for every player. Expectations need to be managed and at a certain point goals need to be clarified. You don’t always know what the end game is when a kid is 9.

I know several kids playing college soccer after lengthy club careers. That’s hardly recreational. Some club is certainly recreational as many are just burning money. I agree that a majority are going nowhere.

But there’s definite potential to get value out of playing.
Somebody has to get college scholarships. Definitely not the boys playing mx league every weekend. Common sense, right?

Point is club soccer is rec ball. They show the basics that is required for college. Which is not much other than athletes playing kick and chase.

Common sense. Somebody has to fill in the blanks by default. Same goes for college and the USMNT.

1. FC Dallas (18 Homegrown players signed)
2. LA Galaxy
3. NY Red Bulls
4. Real Salt Lake
5. Vancouver Whitecaps
etc., etc.

Somebody has to get college scholarships. Definitely not the boys playing mx league every weekend. Common sense, right?

Point is club soccer is rec ball. They show the basics that is required for college. Which is not much other than athletes playing kick and chase.

I'm sorry about your club soccer experience. It's not all that bad.

I'm sorry about your club soccer experience. It's not all that bad.
Who ever said I had a bad experience??

Club soccer is fun. If something more comes out of it like a college scholarship or the opportunity to meet and play with foreign players in MLS one must be grateful.

Club soccer is fun. If something more comes out of it like a college scholarship or the opportunity to meet and play with foreign players in MLS one must be grateful.

Then why try to bash it? Again, why be here?

Then why try to bash it? Again, why be here?
Don't be a lemming, Joseph. That is what has been keeping this well oiled pay to play system running smoothly. This forum too by the way, charging fees for basic features to parrot off and share meaningless data on the weekly basis.

Paying parents don't want to hear the truth because they're having too much fun living a lie.

" club soccer is rec ball."

Not always.

Don't be a lemming, Joseph. That is what has been keeping this well oiled pay to play system running smoothly. This forum too by the way, charging fees for basic features to parrot off and share meaningless data on the weekly basis.

Paying parents don't want to hear the truth because they're having too much fun living a lie.

Cue crying baby pic.

People can have an opinion without being bitter or "bashing a club". It's called rationale and logical arguments.

People don’t take a negative stance against something without an unfavorable opinion. Rant away. I’m not saying anyone isn’t entitled to their opinions. I’ve been on this forum or 8-9 years now. None of this is new.

Back