I noticed not even a Pandemic could take down Pay to Play...

Here in Norcal, clubs are still charging the same registrations fees as they did for Fall 2019 , some are reducing them a bit (less practices and no games, so not really a discount), but nothing drastic despite a Pandemic. $3000+ a year plus tournaments seems to be the norm. The US model is still broken. $3100 to play in an MLS academy that is nor affiliated with an MLS team? Crazy model.

Here in Norcal, clubs are still charging the same registrations fees as they did for Fall 2019 , some are reducing them a bit (less practices and no games, so not really a discount), but nothing drastic despite a Pandemic. $3000+ a year plus tournaments seems to be the norm. The US model is still broken. $3100 to play in an MLS academy that is nor affiliated with an MLS team? Crazy model.
I'm living my life as if were going to have a season. I agonized over and over and the fact is, I dont have money to lose right now. If no season, I'm a ship out of luck and will be lost at sea. What does a dad do in this situation? What are my options?
A. Tell dd it's not going to happen and I can't lose any more money this season like last season? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me a third time?
B. Tell myself that all will be ok after Nov 3rd and it will be money well spent?
C. I love gambling, so this is some sic form of entertainment for me?
D. Live one day at a time and live like their will be no tomorrow
E. All the above except A & C

California will be the last to have games of any kind. Its a sad reality that hurts kids involved in every sport, competitive and rec. Its our fault for paying this year knowing the reality.

California will be the last to have games of any kind. Its a sad reality that hurts kids involved in every sport, competitive and rec. Its our fault for paying this year knowing the reality.
I see it more like an addiction with hope of seeing dd play a sport she loves. Who cares, it's just money. I'm done with money. Reality is today and we learn from yesterday. Tomorrow? Do something to make it happen and live life to the fullest!!!

I expect a mass exodus after the season. Especially if no form of a fall season happens by that time. Few people will be able to justify spending the money on another year of fake practice.

These whiny ass threads wanting things for free..... me me me...... you’re even complaining about discounts FFS....... reason this country is in the crapper w everyone complaining rather than banding together.... my DDs club is doing best the state will allow, its not their fault and I want her club (and other clubs we play) to still be around when we get back to normal.....

For those who can afford it, maybe not. I’m holding on to every scrap of normal I have. Those fake practices are one of those scraps of normal.
I just do not see nearly as many people signing up to pay another 2-3k for distance training again.

Pandemic might not have wiped out pay to play. But if we do see a schedule with rosters anytime soon- we are going to see a lot less players on teams. And/or a lot less teams.

I think players will get bored with the distance training and will start to quit. Even if their parents are willing to spend the money. So I agree with the sentiments that rosters will shrink, but not sure that'll be all about money.

As a country, we're about to see a massive amount of stagflation. Prices for just about everything are starting to rise, and discretionary incomes are going to be falling drastically. Something tells me that even AYSO teams are about to be a whole lot more competitive.

As a country, we're about to see a massive amount of stagflation. Prices for just about everything are starting to rise, and discretionary incomes are going to be falling drastically. Something tells me that even AYSO teams are about to be a whole lot more competitive.
Would you mind explaining what AYSO is? I've seen that mentioned but am not at all familiar with it.

Would you mind explaining what AYSO is? I've seen that mentioned but am not at all familiar with it.

Rec league level. Think parents and volunteers as coaches. It's the option for families who don't want to pay thousands of dollars over the course of a year-- pay $100 or so and your kid gets 12 weeks of 1 or maybe 2 days of training per week plus a game.

Rec league level. Think parents and volunteers as coaches. It's the option for families who don't want to pay thousands of dollars over the course of a year-- pay $100 or so and your kid gets 12 weeks of 1 or maybe 2 days of training per week plus a game.
Oh! Ok, that makes sense. My kids played local rec as wee ones.

For better or worse, we’re going to stay the course... nearing the end of club play (U17) and it has led to multiple potential opportunities to play high level collegiate. Even if it turns out to be an ivy (no $) soccer will be a lever to get into a reach school . Well respected coach with a strong network.

if you have U little players, you might consider forming a small (6-8 players) training squad. Get with a great trainer and forget club patches, tournaments, uniforms and related expenses. Train like heck, learn the fundamentals and in a few years when all this Covid dust settles, jump back to club.

Worked for our daughter...

Your idea is that if clubs can't provide regular practices and there are no games then the fee they charge is not justifiable. I am curios what you expect from clubs, reduce the fee by some 50%? At 1st, it sounds reasonable. But, it's not that simple. If your kids play competitive soccer like NPL, ECNL, MLS elite then clubs probably have high paid coaches for those teams. How do you see your clubs keeping those coaches but don't charge you? I understand it's very expensive to be on MLS academy that is not affiliated with an MLS team and it's not fair as real academy players don't pay. But there is no other model. Somebody has to pay $$$ for fields, good coaches, travel, and etc... My son (u-16) is on one of those non-MLS academy teams and he is working very hard and loves playing soccer and every one on his team is the same. And if I tell my son let's skip this year with academy as the cost in my view is not justifiable then it will be more devastating for him then juts having these cripple practices and hope that the real season will start sooner than later. So, as long as I can afford I will pay that money. By the way, our club is trying to do everything it can to keep the players. Of course, anything they do can't replace the real practices and competitions. And, also, I understand if we decide to skip one year it will be always impossible to get on the the team next year as nobody will keep the spot for us.

And, also, I understand if we decide to skip one year it will be always impossible to get on the the team next year as nobody will keep the spot for us.

That is the club trying to pressure you into staying. "Keep paying, or maybe your kid doesn't make this squad." Tell that to your kid; his spot is because of the amount of money you pay. See what he thinks. Then tell him that you believe in his abilities and that there is absolutely nothing wrong dominating on a flight 1 squad that he has earned a spot, versus paying for some academy team that comes with an extremely nebulous return.

That is the club trying to pressure you into staying. "Keep paying, or maybe your kid doesn't make this squad." Tell that to your kid; his spot is because of the amount of money you pay. See what he thinks. Then tell him that you believe in his abilities and that there is absolutely nothing wrong dominating on a flight 1 squad that he has earned a spot, versus paying for some academy team that comes with an extremely nebulous return.
Yeah, a club will be happy to have a talented player back UNLESS the coach is a manipulator, jealous type... If that’s the case, best not to be around him or her in the first place!

That is the club trying to pressure you into staying.
No, club is not saying anything. The choice is ours. They presented us what they know at this point but no one can tell what and when this MLS elite starts due the you know what. They just asked us to make a decision if we want to join the team without any BS about now or never. But here is

Back