High School

Crismon will eventually get out of 3A, they are a newer school and as that community grows they will be bigger. The team that went 21 0 should have pulled back, there is no need to rub kids face in it. Most kids at the 3A level have very little soccer experinece, and its a good way to make them hate the sport. I support the philosophy "that if you don't want to be embarrassed do something about it", but after 8-0 in soccer at this level its egregious

For me, the HS soccer season seems to go very, very slowly in NOV and DEC. Then JAN arrives and BANG - it is over in a heart beat. It's getting to crunch time. Teams need to juice their rankings for the final playoff push.

For me, the HS soccer season seems to go very, very slowly in NOV and DEC. Then JAN arrives and BANG - it is over in a heart beat. It's getting to crunch time. Teams need to juice their rankings for the final playoff push.
Playoffs now here. Should be interesting. 6a girls is a toss up. Any of Perry, Xavier, or Basha could win depending on the day and who goes into the playoffs with momentum. DV and Hamilton Dark horses. 5a girls looks like ND Prep possibly Casteel or Chaparral.. but ND pretty dominant.

I am involved in 3A soccer (girls and boys) and so that is the level where I see most games. We are already past the play-ins with the 1st round tomorrow (2/7). 4 upsets out of the 8 play-in games on the girls side. That's the (fun) chaos of a one-and-done tournament. There are a number of teams that could make a run for the 3A girls crown. We have watched a number of 6A girls games because of my DD's club teammates. Hoping to get out to see the later rounds of 6A girls (as long as it doesn't conflict with our own drive for the championship!)

Playoffs now here. Should be interesting. 6a girls is a toss up. Any of Perry, Xavier, or Basha could win depending on the day and who goes into the playoffs with momentum. DV and Hamilton Dark horses. 5a girls looks like ND Prep possibly Casteel or Chaparral.. but ND pretty dominant.
So Hamilton vs Basha and DV vs Xavier in the semis. Regular season, Basha beat Hamilton & DV/Xavier was a tie. Two good semis. As an aside, that Xavier roster is very young with only 5 seniors - they will be v strong for the next 2 years with 10 sophomores.

On the boys 6a side the semis are Mesa vs Perry and Mountain View vs San Luis. Mesa are dark horses (just bt the #1 seed), but Perry are a huge team who play very direct.

So Hamilton vs Basha and DV vs Xavier in the semis. Regular season, Basha beat Hamilton & DV/Xavier was a tie. Two good semis. As an aside, that Xavier roster is very young with only 5 seniors - they will be v strong for the next 2 years with 10 sophomores.

On the boys 6a side the semis are Mesa vs Perry and Mountain View vs San Luis. Mesa are dark horses (just bt the #1 seed), but Perry are a huge team who play very direct.
Meant to add, Mountain View beat Mesa & Perry in regular season and always hard to know how good San Luis are due to a pretty soft schedule. Two good semis again.

Meant to add, Mountain View beat Mesa & Perry in regular season and always hard to know how good San Luis are due to a pretty soft schedule. Two good semis again.
Yea no one expected Hamilton to beat Perry. Complete upset. I think Basha/Xavier in the final. Edge to Xavier as they have more experience going deep in the playoffs but.. 6A has been crazy. What else was interesting was 3 of 4 of the 5A playoffs went to PKs pretty tight ... except NDP. They will dominate. Other upset i thought was 4A AZ College prep losing to Salpointe. Thought AZ College Prep would have gone deeper with the season they had.

Yea no one expected Hamilton to beat Perry. Complete upset. I think Basha/Xavier in the final. Edge to Xavier as they have more experience going deep in the playoffs but.. 6A has been crazy. What else was interesting was 3 of 4 of the 5A playoffs went to PKs pretty tight ... except NDP. They will dominate. Other upset i thought was 4A AZ College prep losing to Salpointe. Thought AZ College Prep would have gone deeper with the season they had.
Hamilton vs Xavier in the 6A final, regular season was a tie. Should be a good game. Xavier seem to be scoring for fun at the moment, 13F, 2A in the playoffs, so are prob the favs.

In the boys 6A, Perry vs San Luis. Perry used their size (2 long throws) to beat Mesa. They are very dangerous (well drilled) from set pieces. If San Luis can negate that, then they are prob favs.

Xavier wins the girls on PKs (4 in a row).

Perry wins the boys on PKs (2 in a row).
Hamilton making it as far as they did was the story of the girls side. In conference play they lost to Basha, Perry and DV. Really turned up in the playoffs. Xavier is the perennial winner so nothing really new there.

Hamilton making it as far as they did was the story of the girls side. In conference play they lost to Basha, Perry and DV. Really turned up in the playoffs. Xavier is the perennial winner so nothing really new there.
Well, when your roster (Xavier) is basically all ECNL players (may a small number of GA), spread from F>Snr, you have a built in advantage. There were only 6 seniors on the Xavier team (5 starters), so they have prob 18-19 players coming back for next year.

HS soccer always comes to an abrupt end. Nov and Dec seem to go by so slowly with all the training and sporadic games. Then Jan hits and it is fast and furious with games seemingly every other day. The knock-outs arrive in Feb and for all but the 2 teams in the final, the season ends too soon. Then the kids go from being together 6 days a week to back to their various club teams or other school sports. It is a weird transition (for coaches too). I'm impressed by the schools that have solid programs year after year. You never know who is going to show up for tryouts, who's injured and out for the season, who's decided to play basketball instead, who's moved to another state or transferred schools. There are surprises every year. I love HS soccer for what it is. Looking forward to next season!

Back