high school coach question

Wondering if anyone has the answer to this question. Can a high school coach that is also a coach at an NAIA college recruit players during sanctioned high school games? With all the recruiting rules it would seem that this should not be allowed but maybe with an NAIA college it doesn't matter. Seems like the high school coach has a role as the high school coach and should not be focused on recruiting from the opposing team for his or her college team during matches where her or she is coaching for the high school.

Wondering if anyone has the answer to this question. Can a high school coach that is also a coach at an NAIA college recruit players during sanctioned high school games? With all the recruiting rules it would seem that this should not be allowed but maybe with an NAIA college it doesn't matter. Seems like the high school coach has a role as the high school coach and should not be focused on recruiting from the opposing team for his or her college team during matches where her or she is coaching for the high school.

NAIA has a lot loser rules about recruiting than NCAA. If you are trying to find logic in college organization rules, you could throw out about half the NCAA rulebook.

I would think a college coach can recruit whenever he/she wants. I think the issue is if the coach initiates contact before November 1 (?) of their junior year. That may just be telephone/email contact too.

Yes. NAIA coaches are subject to a different set of rules as @espola points out (looser, not loser). The rules are divided into two different classes of prospect: (1) Enrolled (committed to a institution of higher learning ... college) and (2) Non-Enrolled (home schooled, high school or not committed to an institution of higher learning, etc.)

You question is with regard to Non-Enrolled athletes. "Recruiting Non-Enrolled Students: Coaches are free to contact prospective students up until the point where the athlete draws equipment and engages in organized practice at another institution." The "another institution" is only institutions of higher learning ... not a high school. The NAIA rule "...allows for freedom of coaches and administrators to identify and recruit the best prospective high school student-athletes..." at just about anytime.

I have difficulty seeing how a HS coach that is also a NAIA coach will impact the performance of the team he is coaching or the player being recruited by talking to the opposing player before or after the game about the opportunities that may exist at XYZ school. If anything, the player might just go 110% percent to impress the coach, which may have a slight negative impact on the coach's HS team (but who really cares if its about giving kids opportunities at the next level). If the goal is to benefit the HS players then the rule is sound and the NAIA coach should make an announcement at the beginning of the game to all the players ... "Hey players, I'm an NAIA coach (as well) at XYZ school and will be watching you play and would like to speak with you after the game about scholarship opportunities with my school."

thanks for all your help. This high school coach is new and doesn't know what he is doing. He has already done many questionable things and I don't want our team to get sanctioned in any way because of his ignorance and immaturity.

Back