Guarantee to play 50% and small rosters?

Was told united will be holding tryouts in January for clubs in LA and Orange County. coached by professional trainers (not mom & pop coaches). Not sure what pro trainers means, contacting out to a organization? Not the British again? Challenger outfit that runs camps for ayso?

I'm pretty sir that Development Academy also mandates 50% playing time across their 10 month season.
(Someone fact check me on this. I did a quick search and couldn't find the article I thought I read. )

DA has real mandates on playing time for the younger ages; DA minimum standards of having U-12 50% starts, U-13 players play in 50% of minutes per month and for U-14 to follow the rotation format of having players start in a minimum of 25% of their games per year.

Does'nt always work out that way when the roster is 18+ so what typically happens as you move up in age is subs get more minutes vs less competitive teams or in showcases to come close to the mins and don't play much if at all vs top comp.

My daughter is currently playing on a AYSO Challenge team. She turned 10 this month. The coaches are not paid just like regular or Extra AYSO coaches. They're still competitive, driven and successful coaches. Fall season cost us $340 plus $40 ref fees. We are lucky though. Just have a spectacular group of girls. Playing time is never an issue. Our girls come out when a break is needed and everyone gets plenty of time. Our AYSO region did away with the Extra program because it sucked the life out of the core program. Tournament season was hit or miss with a competitive tournament. Our girls got tired of winning and not being challenged. They're still young and the Challenge program fits our team's needs well. This is an 05 team of 15. All but two of our girls are 06 birth year. They are holding down the Bronze North bracket fairly impressively.

Our AYSO region did away with the Extra program because it sucked the life out of the core program.
^^^Yep.^^^

As to other points above, some posters maybe are missing that these new AYSO teams are/will be playing on the Club circuit against your kids' teams. These won't be players who aren't committed and miss practices. Benefit to families is reduced cost and playing time philosophy, although most coaches should be playing all their kids anyway (or why offer the kid a spot?).*

* yes, I know why: club profits

Just curious - why does the Extra program "suck the life" out of the core program but the Challenge program does not? Both pull from AYSO core. I'm happy for the AYSO kids who get to play at a higher level in Coast Soccer League but I still don't like the idea of having parent (mostly daddy) coaches. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. And I'm not sure how far into higher levels of competitive soccer AYSO should be going considering what its mission and vision statements are. Many of the AYSO board members that I know, complain that the Challenge program is taking away a lot of the time and resources away from the core program. Too much focus on empire building and club envy.

Concur with @TangoCity. To illustrate for others, one reason Extra sucks life is that for every new team of 10 players that are formed, an equal number of future dad/mom AYSO coaches and region volunteers are taken out of the pool as well. I can speak to when my son's team formed where 6 of the previous season's coaches had kids on the new team - region lost 5 U10 coaches in one fell swoop. For a region, in addition to dealing with "empire building" (well put!), they're spending good time and financial/field resources against a program that doesn't pay for itself in terms of volunteer-hours that lift up the overall region.

Just curious - why does the Extra program "suck the life" out of the core program but the Challenge program does not? Both pull from AYSO core. I'm happy for the AYSO kids who get to play at a higher level in Coast Soccer League but I still don't like the idea of having parent (mostly daddy) coaches. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. And I'm not sure how far into higher levels of competitive soccer AYSO should be going considering what its mission and vision statements are. Many of the AYSO board members that I know, complain that the Challenge program is taking away a lot of the time and resources away from the core program. Too much focus on empire building and club envy.
I was speaking pre-Challenge so excuse my misspoken words. I completely agree Challenge is the "new Extra". It also pulls from the core. Our Extra parents didn't contribute volunteers to the core and it's continuing in Challenge. I have older children in the core and I'm a Board Member as well so I see it. As to Daddy coaches.. I guess it's been a huge benefit for us and not a bad thing. Our girls are 7-1-1 (loss 0-1), playing up an age group and hanging in first place. Not sure I'd fix what isn't broken. Looking forward to seeing them play against some silver or higher talent.

What if these daddy coached kids that only pay $500 per year beat our team with the ex-D1 Coach that we pay $2,000 per year plus mileage and hotel expenses? And what if their whole team actually plays significant minutes. That would be HORRIBLE!!!!
I'm not saying that core programs don't get hurt by Extra/Challenge/PSC/ETC, but when clubs starting fielding multiple team in Flight 3, they've jumped into the rec level players anyway. Good for AYSO to put up a fight.

I was speaking pre-Challenge so excuse my misspoken words. I completely agree Challenge is the "new Extra". It also pulls from the core. Our Extra parents didn't contribute volunteers to the core and it's continuing in Challenge. I have older children in the core and I'm a Board Member as well so I see it. As to Daddy coaches.. I guess it's been a huge benefit for us and not a bad thing. Our girls are 7-1-1 (loss 0-1), playing up an age group and hanging in first place. Not sure I'd fix what isn't broken. Looking forward to seeing them play against some silver or higher talent.
Our complete Extra team went club, thus not much different then having a Challenge team, which our coach wanted in the first place but the district said no to at the time. Keeping kids together, having fun, providing great training, good competition at a price almost any income can afford, can happen a lot of different ways. Great to have options.

Now to a more important thing, we play AVFC in our first round game for League Cup, scouting report beastmodesmom? :)

What if these daddy coached kids that only pay $500 per year beat our team with the ex-D1 Coach that we pay $2,000 per year plus mileage and hotel expenses? And what if their whole team actually plays significant minutes. That would be HORRIBLE!!!!
I'm not saying that core programs don't get hurt by Extra/Challenge/PSC/ETC, but when clubs starting fielding multiple team in Flight 3, they've jumped into the rec level players anyway. Good for AYSO to put up a fight.
It is not a win/loss thing for me, why I wouldn't let my kid join a club team that had a parent coach. I'm sure some of them are more competent at coaching than coaches that don't have kids on the team. I just don't want to risk the whole drama of the coach/kid combination on the team. I will do my due diligence and look elsewhere and let others take that risk with daddy-ball.

Because this doesn't happen at any club, right?
There are horrible coaches at every club around town. And some really good ones too.

The point was not whether the coaches are good or bad. Trust me, we have had all the horrible club coaches that others have had. My point was the philosophy. Maybe this isn't the case in other regions but in our AYSO region there was high level of negativity about the concept of competition.

The administrators pushed the idea of "fun" without understanding that, for competitive players, winning and competing is fun. They were more focused on everyone having no adversity to face instead of really supporting one of the principles of AYSO -"player development".

The board members were negative and derogatory against coaches and girls that wanted to be competitive and yet when playoffs came around they were fanatical about how great one or another team was and how they were "winning" - very hypocritical.

As a parent with daughters it was disgusting to see the condescending attitude about girls being competitive and being critical of the girl's coaches if they pushed the girls to achieve. The attitude was very different about the boys. "Girls are sweet and delicate flowers so never push them or make them feel bad as they can't handle that."

Through adversity comes strength and true self esteem not through cheering that someone just showed up in a jersey that morning.

The point was not whether the coaches are good or bad. Trust me, we have had all the horrible club coaches that others have had. My point was the philosophy. Maybe this isn't the case in other regions but in our AYSO region there was high level of negativity about the concept of competition.

I think that most AYSO Extra programs don't adhere to this philosophy to that extreme; however, I would say this philosophy is very prevalent in AYSO rec programs.

My kid has played both Extra and club soccer at younger girls' ages. Extra games are competitive-- not any less than club games that I have seen. I can also say that the local Extra league (at least at girls' younger ages) is equivalent to tier 3, and in some cases good teams are tier 2 quality. Extra is less of a slog as there are true seasons off (Extra has a fall and spring season) with a real summer off. As kids get older, Extra teams seem to degrade in the quality of soccer (kids go to club teams, they aren't training as much of the year-- for good or bad, etc.)

The biggest difference I have seen as my kid has played on a club for the past year is a whole lot more a-hole coach behavior-- like, running up scores to 15+ to nothing, etc. Just classless. There are also more intense parents-- like it matters to them more than their kid. That and club soccer has your kid playing for more of the year. But you can get really good quality soccer and coaching in the Extra program. For a kid with a lot of activities or who likes playing other sports, it can be a really good fit.

I have an Extra player and her coach is great, the team is doing well. But here is the problem. It's not competitive enough for them. Their games are all blowouts and half the team wants to split and go to club and the other half, well the parents don't want the commitment. So unfortunately it's kind of a dead end league. They already play with a year older kids more than half the time so now off to tryouts we will go. I'm bummed bc as others mentioned it's a good fit to allow other sports and activities.

I have an Extra player and her coach is great, the team is doing well. But here is the problem. It's not competitive enough for them. Their games are all blowouts and half the team wants to split and go to club and the other half, well the parents don't want the commitment. So unfortunately it's kind of a dead end league. They already play with a year older kids more than half the time so now off to tryouts we will go. I'm bummed bc as others mentioned it's a good fit to allow other sports and activities.

Why not stick together and move to a club? There are lots of options.

Not enough girls have the interest or the parents I should say. Plus the birthdays don't align. The team will be split up. What are the options? I'd love to hear them and discuss them with the team.

Not enough girls have the interest or the parents I should say. Plus the birthdays don't align. The team will be split up. What are the options? I'd love to hear them and discuss them with the team.

You have not said what area you live in, so I cannot tell my thoughts about which clubs are the best and worst in those neighborhoods. If you live in the OC or in LA county, then you should go to the coast league website or the SCDSL website and look at their "club" listings. Then you need to figure out which clubs are in your driving range. Then you have to make an honest decision about where your daughter fits in her ability and potential, and consider your goals. If she shows great potential and you want to see how far she can go, then your best option is to choose a club that develops competitive teams, and avoid clubs that don't. Figure out which teams fit that profile. Then, try out for a few teams (2 or 3), and see if your daughter fits in, and if you believe she will progress with the coach. Take about 4 weeks to do this and don't be in a rush just to join the first team that offers.

If you want to post your general neighborhood, I'm certain many other posters on this board will offer their thoughts on quality clubs you might consider, and clubs you should avoid. If you want an idea of which girls' clubs are competitive or not, here is my Coast League list from a few weeks back. You need to consider the SCDSL clubs, also. Now, this list has some limitations, so you can't just go by it. For example, the La Mirada club is ranked number 1, but it's teams are mostly playing in bronze brackets, and it is not considered a "powerhouse" club by any means. The Fullerton Rangers are down at #15, but that club has been putting out powerful girls teams at the younger ages for the last several years. Each club has its own reputation. I strongly suggest you avoid any club near the bottom of the list. Your chances of having a good experience there are small.

If you want to send me a message, feel free.

1 …. La Mirada FC…. 6 …. 28-6-2 …. 2.39
2 …. L.A. Galaxy San Diego…. 10 …. 35-7-10 …. 2.21
3 …. Apple Valley SC…. 9 …. 41-15-5 …. 2.11
4 …. NHB…. 8 …. 31-12-3 …. 2.09
5 …. Eagles…. 19 …. 67-29-15 …. 1.95
6 …. California Premier League…. 5 …. 19-10-2 …. 1.91
7 …. Total Futbol Academy…. 7 …. 21-13-0 …. 1.85
8 …. FRAM…. 23 …. 68-36-20 …. 1.81
9 …. Celtic…. 12 …. 39-22-9 …. 1.8
10 …. Madrid Premier SC…. 8 …. 26-14-8 …. 1.79
11 …. Canyon FC…. 6 …. 19-12-3 …. 1.76
12 …. Empire SC…. 8 …. 24-14-7 …. 1.76
13 …. Albion SC OC…. 6 …. 20-13-4 …. 1.73
14 …. Riverside MGFM…. 13 …. 42-26-11 …. 1.73
15 …. Fullerton Rangers…. 13 …. 37-26-4 …. 1.72
16 …. Roadrunner United FC…. 5 …. 16-11-2 …. 1.72
17 …. Central California Aztecs…. 11 …. 35-22-12 …. 1.71
18 …. South Valley SC…. 13 …. 36-24-8 …. 1.71
19 …. Futbol Foundation of SC…. 9 …. 25-17-5 …. 1.71
20 …. Team USA…. 5 …. 15-9-6 …. 1.71
21 …. Oceanside Breakers… 5 …. 15-10-3 …. 1.71
22 …. AYSO Challenge…. 40 …. 122-80-28 …. 1.71
23 …. Oxnard United SC…. 7 …. 18-12-6 …. 1.67
24 …. SoCal Academy…. 6 …. 18-14-4 …. 1.67
25 …. Newbury Park SC…. 6 …. 16-12-5 …. 1.61
26 …. Santa Monica United…. 15 …. 41-33-9 …. 1.59
27 …. Union Indepeniente FC…. 7 …. 18-14-5 …. 1.59
28 …. L.A. Galaxy Bakersfield…. 9 …. 25-21-7 …. 1.55
29 …. Simi Valley FC Premier…. 7 …. 19-16-5 …. 1.55
30 …. Coastal Valley SC…. 18 …. 48-41-12 …. 1.54
31 …. Inland Empire Surf…. 42 …. 106-90-36 …. 1.53
32 …. Kickers Soccer Club…. 6 …. 15-13-5 …. 1.52
33 …. Pacific Soccer Club…. 10 …. 29-27-9 …. 1.48
34 …. Santa Barbara SC…. 11 …. 27-24-11 …. 1.48
35 …. Ventura County Fusion…. 10 …. 21-19-8 …. 1.48
36 …. Desert Elite FC…. 7 …. 19-19-4 …. 1.45
37 …. San Luis Obispo SC…. 7 …. 16-15-7 …. 1.45
38 …. Oxnard Wave…. 9 …. 25-26-3 …. 1.44
39 …. High Desert Premier…. 7 …. 20-19-8 …. 1.44
40 …. Inland United SC…. 9 …. 21-21-7 …. 1.43
41 …. North Valley SC…. 7 …. 15-16-3 …. 1.41
42 …. Rialto Fire…. 10 …. 24-25-7 …. 1.41
43 …. Inland Empire Premier…. 5 …. 10-10-6 …. 1.38
44 …. Desert United SC…. 6 …. 16-18-7 …. 1.34
45 …. YASC Spartans FC…. 17 …. 40-46-17 …. 1.33
46 …. California Elite SC…. 6 …. 16-19-6 …. 1.32
47 …. BYSC Corona…. 17 …. 38-45-16 …. 1.31
48 …. FC Long Beach…. 11 …. 27-33-10 …. 1.3
49 …. Simi Valley SC (Eclipse)…. 17 …. 43-54-12 …. 1.29
50 …. Palm Desert SC…. 5 …. 9-11-5 …. 1.28
51 …. Newcastle United…. 6 …. 15-20-3 …. 1.26
52 …. AC Brea…. 13 …. 27-37-5 …. 1.24
53 …. Crown City United…. 11 …. 21-31-9 …. 1.18
54 …. MSA FC…. 6 …. 12-18-3 …. 1.18
55 …. FC Golden State OC…. 6 …. 12-18-6 …. 1.17
56 …. Wolves FC…. 5 …. 8-13-2 …. 1.13
57 …. Milan Academy…. 12 …. 27-45-10 …. 1.11
58 …. Orcutt United SL…. 6 …. 11-19-4 …. 1.09
59 …. Albion SC…. 11 …. 24-32-6 …. 1.08
60 …. Ventura FC…. 9 …. 17-30-8 …. 1.07
61 …. L.A. Galaxy Conejo Valley…. 24 …. 43-76-21 …. 1.07
62 …. Orange County Premier…. 15 …. 29-46-9 …. 1.04
63 …. L.A. Premier…. 16 …. 25-47-8 …. 1.04
64 …. FC Golden State…. 10 …. 14-28-9 …. 1.01
65 …. Greater Long Beach SC…. 9 …. 15-30-11 …. 1.01
66 …. L.A. Salsa SC…. 5 …. 8-17-4 …. 0.97
67 …. Westminster SA…. 8 …. 12-25-2 …. 0.97
68 …. Claremont Stars…. 5 …. 8-17-2 …. 0.96
69 …. Necaxa USA FC…. 6 …. 10-25-2 …. 0.86
70 …. Corinthians SC…. 11 …. 14-44-2 …. 0.73
71 …. Valley United SC…. 7 …. 6-21-4 …. 0.71
72 …. Autobahn…. 5 …. 4-19-5 …. 0.61
73 …. Hollywood FC…. 6 …. 4-27-1 …. 0.41

Thanks for the responses, we are in the San Diego area. The problem is not the shortage of clubs. She's been asked to come out by different clubs in our area. I like the Extra program for her age and like that it wasn't full year commitment like playing club. Ideally I'd like to delay her playing club until u10/u11, if she decides that is what she wants to focus her energy on. Right now she loves multiple sports and activities and I feel like it is so early to specialize. She just happens to be a pretty darn good soccer player. And the Extra program in our area I guess is not that strong/competitive. Which really is not fun, playing lopsided games and cheering for goals after the 6th, 7th, 8th goal just feels wrong. I feel like our options are limited. But thank you for the responses, I appreciate the willingness to help!

Soccer is an individual sport played in a team setting. It's perplexing that this concept can't seem to take root in our culture that values individualism. Somehow, team success always comes before individual development. The American brand of basketball is all about individual excellence. That's why we dominate.

Back