Essential Economics for Politicians

Sales tax is sales tax. You make a sale you charge the tax . . . so simple even a caveman (should) be able to understand. Did the retailer pay the tax?
Lets pretend you own a retail outlet and you buy a certain amount of inventory.
Is it against the law to pay the sales tax on that inventory before you sell it?

Assuming it is legal, and you are a gas station owner, what would you do?
Assuming you do the smart thing and pay the tax ahead of time, would you be able to charge the added tax on top of the inventory already taxed and paid?

My advice to rat and espola is to consult a real tax professional before owning or operating a gas station.
My conjecture is neither professional or worthy of much more than a passing thought.

One thing I can say for certain, is that adding a tax or increasing a tax, will always lead to higher cost for the consumer.

My advice to rat and espola is to consult a real tax professional before owning or operating a gas station.
My conjecture is neither professional or worthy of much more than a passing thought.

One thing I can say for certain, is that adding a tax or increasing a tax, will always lead to higher cost for the consumer.
Why are we paying tax on an industry that is already taxpayer subsidized?

The price posted today at the Arco on the corner I pass most days is still $3.499, just like it was on June 30th.

Do you suppose they have big tanks?

The price posted today at the Arco on the corner I pass most days is still $3.499, just like it was on June 30th.

Do you suppose they have big tanks?
Last week the Carmel Mountain Costco ran out of regular. I filled my tank with premium for the price of regular.

I don’t know.
Do you suppose raising taxes doesn’t make the price go up?

I'm only posting what I'm seeing. My $3.269/gallon purchase yesterday was not the lowest I have paid this year, but it was close to what I was paying in March, before the big price jumps nationwide in April.

I'm only posting what I'm seeing. My $3.269/gallon purchase yesterday was not the lowest I have paid this year, but it was close to what I was paying in March, before the big price jumps nationwide in April.
If the price is the same now as it was before the tax took affect, there are other market forces keeping it that way.
Without the tax increase, prices would be about five cents less.

This isnt rocket science.

If the price is the same now as it was before the tax took affect, there are other market forces keeping it that way.
Without the tax increase, prices would be about five cents less.

I don't disagree with that, but reality often intrudes upon opinion.

Are you agreeing now that it is a retail tax?

Back