Equalizer Soccer:"The U.S. youth system is broken"

OrangeCountyDad

SILVER ELITE

"“It’s in complete shambles,” said Paul Riley, head coach of the National Women’s Soccer League’s North Carolina Courage and the director of coaching for Long Island-based youth outfit Albertson Soccer Club — which has teams in both the ECNL and the DA. "

Not gonna pay to read it. But is the fact that Paul Riley is a NWSL Head coach in North Carolina and a DOC in Long Island maybe part of the problem with our youth soccer model?

Not gonna pay to read it. But is the fact that Paul Riley is a NWSL Head coach in North Carolina and a DOC in Long Island maybe part of the problem with our youth soccer model?
oh, i forgot I had a subscription.

basically says fracturing of the game at high levels by DA and ECNL is hurting development.

Do they propose a solution? Or just point out the obvious that the ECNL/DA thing isn’t working out so well after all?

"“It’s in complete shambles,” said Paul Riley, head coach of the National Women’s Soccer League’s North Carolina Courage and the director of coaching for Long Island-based youth outfit Albertson Soccer Club — which has teams in both the ECNL and the DA. "

The problems with youth soccer start long before the kids are of age to play DA or ECNL. This problem is only one outcome of USSF's arrogance.

oh, i forgot I had a subscription.

basically says fracturing of the game at high levels by DA and ECNL is hurting development.
Copy & paste the good stuff. I can't justify anymore subscriptions this month. My dd and many other dds have been so screwed by this bullshit I can scream!!!!

Several of the most prominent youth and professional coaches in the country are trying to sound an alarm about the state of girls’ soccer in the United States, and a youth landscape which they describe as “dire” and “broken.”
At the top of their list of complaints is U.S. Soccer and, in their eyes, the federation’s attempt to take over the youth game in America.
Back in 2009, 40 of the top girls’ clubs in the U.S. formed the ECNL, which stands for Elite Clubs National League. Their purpose was simple, to bring together the country’s most elite clubs and pit them against each other in one combined competition.

Then, in 2017, U.S. Soccer launched the Girls’ Development Academy, which was modeled on the federation’s boys’ academy first started in 2007.
The move by U.S. Soccer split the youth landscape in two, with some top teams moving to the DA and others staying in the ECNL. The end result, according to these coaches, has been a lower level of competition in both leagues and a weakening of the youth game across the United States
“It’s in complete shambles,” said Paul Riley, head coach of the National Women’s Soccer League’s North Carolina Courage and the director of coaching for Long Island-based youth outfit Albertson Soccer Club — which has teams in both the ECNL and the DA.
“I don’t understand the whole DA thing,” he told The Equalizer. “I was excited when [U.S. Soccer] said they were going to do the DA. I thought at the time the ECNL had lost their elite status and they started bringing in [too many] clubs and once you dilute it, you dilute the player pool. And when you dilute the player pool, you dilute the quality of the practices. When you take away that, then the quality of the games is not as high.”
But Riley explained that despite his initial hopefulness, the DA actually ended up making the problem worse.

The problems with youth soccer start long before the kids are of age to play DA or ECNL. This problem is only one outcome of USSF's arrogance.

"At the top of their list of complaints is U.S. Soccer and, in their eyes, the federation’s attempt to take over the youth game in America"

Several of the most prominent youth and professional coaches in the country are trying to sound an alarm about the state of girls’ soccer in the United States, and a youth landscape which they describe as “dire” and “broken.”
At the top of their list of complaints is U.S. Soccer and, in their eyes, the federation’s attempt to take over the youth game in America.
Back in 2009, 40 of the top girls’ clubs in the U.S. formed the ECNL, which stands for Elite Clubs National League. Their purpose was simple, to bring together the country’s most elite clubs and pit them against each other in one combined competition.

Then, in 2017, U.S. Soccer launched the Girls’ Development Academy, which was modeled on the federation’s boys’ academy first started in 2007.
The move by U.S. Soccer split the youth landscape in two, with some top teams moving to the DA and others staying in the ECNL. The end result, according to these coaches, has been a lower level of competition in both leagues and a weakening of the youth game across the United States
“It’s in complete shambles,” said Paul Riley, head coach of the National Women’s Soccer League’s North Carolina Courage and the director of coaching for Long Island-based youth outfit Albertson Soccer Club — which has teams in both the ECNL and the DA.
“I don’t understand the whole DA thing,” he told The Equalizer. “I was excited when [U.S. Soccer] said they were going to do the DA. I thought at the time the ECNL had lost their elite status and they started bringing in [too many] clubs and once you dilute it, you dilute the player pool. And when you dilute the player pool, you dilute the quality of the practices. When you take away that, then the quality of the games is not as high.”
But Riley explained that despite his initial hopefulness, the DA actually ended up making the problem worse.

He complains about diluting the player pool - But his club has teams in DA and ECNL......

Do they propose a solution? Or just point out the obvious that the ECNL/DA thing isn’t working out so well after all?

Does anybody have a solution anymore? I've yet to hear a good idea for what should happen at this point.

If GDA goes away (unlikely), the ECNL has over-expanded and rolling back in 50+ ex-GDA clubs back into the fold would be a horrible idea unless ECNL booted out 50+ clubs to make room, which certainly isn't going to happen. Combining and having an "elite" league with 150+ clubs isn't deserving of the name.

And ECNL definitely isn't going away. It's a private entity that's popular and there's too much money being made by the adults who run the league and by the clubs who participate to allow it to be rolled up into something else.

Girls soccer is a mess. I'm not sure a good short term solution exists.

Does anybody have a solution anymore? I've yet to hear a good idea for what should happen at this point.

If GDA goes away (unlikely), the ECNL has over-expanded and rolling back in 50+ ex-GDA clubs back into the fold would be a horrible idea unless ECNL booted out 50+ clubs to make room, which certainly isn't going to happen. Combining and having an "elite" league with 150+ clubs isn't deserving of the name.

And ECNL definitely isn't going away. It's a private entity that's popular and there's too much money being made by the adults who run the league and by the clubs who participate to allow it to be rolled up into something else.

Girls soccer is a mess. I'm not sure a good short term solution exists.

I'm not so sure....if DA went away..... I could see in So Cal ECNL definitely re-admitting RSC and possibly admitting Beach and/or Legends.....that'd make a conference of 14-15 which would be just about manageable.....most likely a bunch of clubs would try to improve DPL into being a viable alternativejust thinking out loud

It started in 2015 with the age change.
#1 Birth Year change. Girls are social and USSF and DA ripped a part teams and age groups with no regard of others. I've had parents say I should be happy because my goat is 1/1/04. I laugh at dads like that. Please, spare me.
#2 DA caused so much division it is why the forum is so awesome.
#2 No HS Soccer. I know most of the OC and Socal don't care about HS Soccer but many others do :)
#3 YNT List. This is in the wrong hands and being used as a chip for many.
#4 Training Centers:
This is also in the wrong hands and used as a recruiting tool to get players from other clubs. For example, SDSC has worked hard in the community to provide soccer to youths. Surf can recruit a player with a head band and is fast with a free ride, TC access and YNT access. How on earth can a club like SDSC survive?

There is one, it's just not one that people here on these boards want to hear. Professionalize woman's soccer. Limit the DA, on both the men's and women's side, to MLS teams only (force the men's team to pick up a woman's side and put money into a woman's pro league, which we all know will be a money loser but that's why the subsidy). If you are in the DA program and are picked up professionally, you must accept....it's not a route to college soccer. Everybody else get pays-to-play second tier college ball.

The main problem in our youth system is we have professional and college ambitions mixed together, but the limited season, limited competition, and limited training of college ball makes it not an ideal place to develop national teams. The US has kept up on the women's side for a long time because the rest of the countries didn't care about the girls (most of the world outside of Europe, China and Japan still doesn't) and the women's collegiate system (because of gridiron football) has better resources than the men's side...the Europeans have professionalized and are nipping at the heels of the USWNT.

When asking for a "solution" the question is always "for whom and for what". What's the objective?

My objective is for my dd to be able to play other high skill kids, without unnecessary travel.

Other peoples objectives include creating a national team in 2030 and turning parent money into club money. I dont happen to care for either goal.

This is why I would like to see DA and ECNL get replaced by a relegation and promotion model. Just let the top 10-12 teams in CA play each other, and stop making us fly all over the place.

There is one, it's just not one that people here on these boards want to hear. Professionalize woman's soccer. Limit the DA, on both the men's and women's side, to MLS teams only (force the men's team to pick up a woman's side and put money into a woman's pro league, which we all know will be a money loser but that's why the subsidy). If you are in the DA program and are picked up professionally, you must accept....it's not a route to college soccer. Everybody else get pays-to-play second tier college ball.

The main problem in our youth system is we have professional and college ambitions mixed together, but the limited season, limited competition, and limited training of college ball makes it not an ideal place to develop national teams. The US has kept up on the women's side for a long time because the rest of the countries didn't care about the girls (most of the world outside of Europe, China and Japan still doesn't) and the women's collegiate system (because of gridiron football) has better resources than the men's side...the Europeans have professionalized and are nipping at the heels of the USWNT.

When asking for a "solution" the question is always "for whom and for what". What's the objective?
100% agree. Have the DA/Pros. It doesn't mean a kid can't change their mind before they go pro to play college instead. 100% free DA League for all the girls plus a pro league all subsidized by MLS, USA, Nike, Adidas, Puma. 4 DA teams in SoCal for kids over 14 (High School age) and zero controlled by dads, docs, coaches, clubs, lawyers or board members. However, you better throw some serious coin the girls way or their dad and mom will say no way, don't do it. We need to pay the top, top girl soccer goats some coin to sacrifice like the boys. ECNL and the rest of the leagues can try and work together to better the experience for the rest of us.

. However, you better throw some serious coin the girls way or their dad and mom will say no way, don't do it. We need to pay the top, top girl soccer goats some coin to sacrifice like the boys.

The boys don't get the serious coin either. For a non-DP, non-TAM player an accountant or plumber running his own business makes more money. It's why our best male athletes go into basketball and the NFL and why some players are willing to forego college as soon as they have eligibility (because the salary outweighs what they get in college)....for girls the same temptation doesn't exist because there isn't an equivalent payout in the pro leagues and at least for soccer, there's the scholarship money which for boys gets diverted to largely gridiron footbal. I agree that should change, but that gets into another discussion on salary caps, the MLS pyramid scheme, and transfer payments.

The boys don't get the serious coin either. For a non-DP, non-TAM player an accountant or plumber running his own business makes more money. It's why our best male athletes go into basketball and the NFL and why some players are willing to forego college as soon as they have eligibility (because the salary outweighs what they get in college)....for girls the same temptation doesn't exist because there isn't an equivalent payout in the pro leagues and at least for soccer, there's the scholarship money which for boys gets diverted to largely gridiron footbal. I agree that should change, but that gets into another discussion on salary caps, the MLS pyramid scheme, and transfer payments.
You're right. I should say "some" coin like the boys. Right now, all the coins are going to the grown ups and my dd is doing all the running......

Rory Dames:
“My endgame is not an ECNL vs. a DA thing and it’s not [to] slam U.S. Soccer, because the ECNL has its issues too. There’s no question about it,” he explained. “But what I am pro, is getting the right people in the room that have been in all the [development] zones, who don’t have any sort of vested interest in one league over the other and actually have a real conversation about what makes the most sense for the American player, what makes the most sense for our culture and our players, and what their real lives are, what a 15-16-year-old-girl goes through before school, going to school, after school, homework, a life, and then create something that is designed to keep that top five percent, not the other 95 percent that are playing for other reasons, but that top five percent to give them the best chances and all the resources and means possible to truly develop more world-class players.
“There’s so many things we could do better at the youth level if we could just get on the same page for the common good.”

My objective is for my dd to be able to play other high skill kids, without unnecessary travel.

Other peoples objectives include creating a national team in 2030 and turning parent money into club money. I dont happen to care for either goal.

This is why I would like to see DA and ECNL get replaced by a relegation and promotion model. Just let the top 10-12 teams in CA play each other, and stop making us fly all over the place.
There is no real reason for most teams to travel out of southern California.

Back