Elite Soccer league vs Slammers vs LAGOC/Liverpool (South OC)

After playing at AYSO for a couple of years, my son and daughter would like to play more next year. Not sure which one to choose.
There are also AYSO signature and OCsurf at Mission Viejo and Pateadores at SJC I believe?
We live in Ladera so Slammers will have teams for younger (7y) beginning Jan 2020 they said so we may choose them based on convenience

OCSurfMV is now MVFC. They'll have same coaches. I think it would be nice to not be part of such a large brand.
I'd reach out to any coach and see if your kids can participate in their open practices (a lot of that is happening now).
Tryout dates will most likely be posted soon, if not already.

Go visit all the clubs and see who the coach will be. At the younger age finding a coach you like is much more important than the club. I would also recommend going to a game and watching the coach work with one of their current teams. Make sure you see the coach in action on the field and decide if you like that style for the next year. Sometimes the practice coach and game coach are not the same personality.

Thanks for the responses. I agree in the end it is the coaches that matter, not the club. I have watched some of them and none of the clubs appear to have a particular method in training.
One additional question, as players move up age group, the coach will have to change right?

Usually the coach will stay with a team at least for a few years. It depends on the club and if the coach moves to a different club.

What age is your son? If he is really young (i.e. 2012 birth year), you might want to have him attend the AYSO Extra tryouts during the first week of December. At that age, the Extra team will probably be better than the South Slammers team.

Other than that, it would be good to go look at the websites for Pateadores, OC Surf, San Clemente Surf, Laguna United FC and AYSO United and go to the various tryouts. All of the tryouts begin in the next couple of weeks. Make sure you don't actually sign up for or pay for any club until you know exactly who the coach is and confirm that you like the coach.

After playing at AYSO for a couple of years, my son and daughter would like to play more next year. Not sure which one to choose.
There are also AYSO signature and OCsurf at Mission Viejo and Pateadores at SJC I believe?
We live in Ladera so Slammers will have teams for younger (7y) beginning Jan 2020 they said so we may choose them based on convenience
It’s about coaching. Slammers South isn’t going to provide that. MV might and hopefully they go to more community based team vs corporate/money first club. The next game evolution would probably be a Signature/Plus team. I would suggest going to a good technical group trainer (Burgi Hoffman trains kids in your area) and play Signature. Once your children grow technically (most important aspect of dev at young age) and begin to dominate (outgrow) the competition at that level - then move on. No point joining a bad situation at high cost and see no growth. Kids tend to stick with hobbies/sports as long as they enjoy it. Getting beat down every week due to being on a money-grab team/club with a bad coach can kill enjoyment. I find kids who do enjoy playing when they are on bad teams Is due to them playing with friends or they are the star of the team. Making sure your children are technically sound will improve the chances your children will “stick with it” on bad teams - as they will probably get more touches then the other kids. If the enjoyment of playing soccer continues they will usually tell you when they want to play with better competition. If you see your kid scoring a ton of goals or they are dribbling around everyone - then you might encourage them to move on at that point. Dropping kids off from AYSO in to club environment can be intimidating to them - especially if all the other kids around them are better

It’s about coaching. Slammers South isn’t going to provide that. MV might and hopefully they go to more community based team vs corporate/money first club. The next game evolution would probably be a Signature/Plus team. I would suggest going to a good technical group trainer (Burgi Hoffman trains kids in your area) and play Signature. Once your children grow technically (most important aspect of dev at young age) and begin to dominate (outgrow) the competition at that level - then move on. No point joining a bad situation at high cost and see no growth. Kids tend to stick with hobbies/sports as long as they enjoy it. Getting beat down every week due to being on a money-grab team/club with a bad coach can kill enjoyment. I find kids who do enjoy playing when they are on bad teams Is due to them playing with friends or they are the star of the team. Making sure your children are technically sound will improve the chances your children will “stick with it” on bad teams - as they will probably get more touches then the other kids. If the enjoyment of playing soccer continues they will usually tell you when they want to play with better competition. If you see your kid scoring a ton of goals or they are dribbling around everyone - then you might encourage them to move on at that point. Dropping kids off from AYSO in to club environment can be intimidating to them - especially if all the other kids around them are better
I am aligned with your thinking. At this age, competition at AYSO Extra is good enough. The only thing I feel my kids need is more individual skill training. I like your suggestion of a group trainer, I will look up Hoffman.
About the team, I see that they don't care about losing because they like playing with friends and/or feel they are a bit better than others.

I am aligned with your thinking. At this age, competition at AYSO Extra is good enough. The only thing I feel my kids need is more individual skill training. I like your suggestion of a group trainer, I will look up Hoffman.
About the team, I see that they don't care about losing because they like playing with friends and/or feel they are a bit better than others.
Also look up https://www.levitoth.com/ He coaches for SSFC but he does privates for anyone and he's very good.
Burgi Hoffman has a morning camp running behind WholeFoods right now (9am-12pm). It's a good camp if you're trying to keep your players busy this week.
www.premieryouthsocceracademy.com/register/

MVFC have great coaches at younger age group for boys and girls and very affordable compare to all clubs in the area.

They’re not?
Should have said why many/most teams got squeezed off fields they use to use and some teams train at ocgp. The City wasn’t putting up with their shadiness. Not to say some of the coaches are nice folks but they aren’t developing and many are out of their depth at older ages

Should have said why many/most teams got squeezed off fields they use to use and some teams train at ocgp. The City wasn’t putting up with their shadiness. Not to say some of the coaches are nice folks but they aren’t developing and many are out of their depth at older ages
Most of the teams at South Slammers are not very competitive, but they are not moving some teams to OCGP because of shadiness. The older teams are moving to OCGP for more space and Ladera Ranch residency requirements tied to Ladera fields. There is no city to squeeze them off the fields (unincorporated county land). It is an HOA that divides soccer field space between AYSO and South Slammers. Not saying the guy that used to be in charge is not shady, but that is not why they are starting to use more field space at OCGP.

Most of the teams at South Slammers are not very competitive, but they are not moving some teams to OCGP because of shadiness. The older teams are moving to OCGP for more space and Ladera Ranch residency requirements tied to Ladera fields. There is no city to squeeze them off the fields (unincorporated county land). It is an HOA that divides soccer field space between AYSO and South Slammers. Not saying the guy that used to be in charge is not shady, but that is not why they are starting to use more field space at OCGP.
Residency requirements became an issue for a reason. Once locals start dropping, you have to pick up kids from areas that haven’t experienced what was going on. The city, after talking to one official, had really heard too many calls about who was in charge. I talk to a couple coaches at OCGP, good guys, but as you mentioned l, not very competitive

Back