ECNL vs. DA turf war has created a 'toxic environment'

That's the point of a coach popping in, to see how players handle the daily routine. If they aren't working hard at club practice what are they going to do in college. That's also the reason the come to various games unannounced to see how kids are responding to different situations. How do they act when they are up 3 goals, down 3 goals etc.. Our kids were always told play your hardest all the time (including warm ups), you never know who is watching
Ya, I can see coach Cal and coach K "popping" in on the newest 8th graders.
AAU coach: Listen Jonny, Coach K is coming to watch you at practice tomorrow. He wants to see what you and your teammates are all about. I know your only 5'5 and still in 8th grade and all the other recruits are 6'4. Were going be doing a rebounding and blocking drill.....
Jonny: Oh!
Jonny: But can't we play a real game. I like to pass the rock and create things.
AAU Coach: Sorry, its about development now. Plus Coach K is strapped and has only so much cash to go around and has to pick fast because freaking Miller just signed Frances Odom, the the phenom 6th grader. FO just posted "I will be the greatest in the world" prediction on youtube. Time is running out Jonny. Plus the NBA is going after 4th graders.........
Jonny at home night before: Dad, who is coach K again?
Dad: I told you to watch more college basketball and lift weights so you can stick you ass on those big boys and learn how to box out. How many hours of basketball have you been watching son?
Jonny: I don't like watching. I want to play the game dad.
Dad: No son, practice practice practice.
Next Day
AAU Coach: Coach K saw some potential in you Jonny but like I said before, go to North Dakota State for DA FREE RIDE!!!!!!

Ya, I can see coach Cal and coach K "popping" in on the newest 8th graders.
AAU coach: Listen Jonny, Coach K is coming to watch you at practice tomorrow. He wants to see what you and your teammates are all about. I know your only 5'5 and still in 8th grade and all the other recruits are 6'4. Were going be doing a rebounding and blocking drill.....
Jonny: Oh!
Jonny: But can't we play a real game. I like to pass the rock and create things.
AAU Coach: Sorry, its about development now. Plus Coach K is strapped and has only so much cash to go around and has to pick fast because freaking Miller just signed Frances Odom, the the phenom 6th grader. FO just posted "I will be the greatest in the world" prediction on youtube. Time is running out Jonny. Plus the NBA is going after 4th graders.........
Jonny at home night before: Dad, who is coach K again?
Dad: I told you to watch more college basketball and lift weights so you can stick you ass on those big boys and learn how to box out. How many hours of basketball have you been watching son?
Jonny: I don't like watching. I want to play the game dad.
Dad: No son, practice practice practice.
Next Day
AAU Coach: Coach K saw some potential in you Jonny but like I said before, go to North Dakota State for DA FREE RIDE!!!!!!

Sorry to tell you this but 8th grade is when the top kids start getting recruiting attention in basketball. It’s a one and done thing.

Sorry to tell you this but 8th grade is when the top kids start getting recruiting attention in basketball. It’s a one and done thing.
Attention, not all signed and all money cone by 8th grade. You said UCLA spent all their money already. You think coach K and Coach Cal spent all their $$$$ by now for 2022 recruits? Of course not. It's over for now on the girls side but that was so wrong bro for everyone. That's why the rule change.....except for basketball so maybe now they will be signing 7th graders. Only problem the best one's will say, bye bye and go right to the NBA :)

Attention, not all signed and all money cone by 8th grade. You said UCLA spent all their money already. You think coach K and Coach Cal spent all their $$$$ by now for 2022 recruits? Of course not. It's over for now on the girls side but that was so wrong bro for everyone. That's why the rule change.....except for basketball so maybe now they will be signing 7th graders. Only problem the best one's will say, bye bye and go right to the NBA :)

The top schools are getting the top players. It’s that simple. The players that sit on the bench at the top schools would be starters on most teams. Where are you getting 8th grade from? Nobody is committing 8th graders.

Lots of schools play against the top schools. No reason not to go to a school in a top conference and prove that you belong. People do it all the time. My kid only played for a name brand club her senior year. Never won a ECNL championship. But she smashed heads on the top teams every game and that got her noticed. It might work for yours too.

I agree with your point that the recruiting lifecycle in basketball is totally different than soccer. At this point in time, only about 30 of the top 100 class of 2020 basketball players in the country are committed(at least publicly) to a college: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...nkings/_/view/terrific25/sort/rank/order/true

For the top players in the 2022 class, there is NOT ONE public commitment available for men's college baskeball.http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2022

Contrast that with women's soccer where some of the top teams have already completed their 2022 class. A lot of things change in 4 years. It's a huge gamble for both the university and the player to commit that early.

I agree with your point that the recruiting lifecycle in basketball is totally different than soccer. At this point in time, only about 30 of the top 100 class of 2020 basketball players in the country are committed(at least publicly) to a college: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...nkings/_/view/terrific25/sort/rank/order/true

For the top players in the 2022 class, there is NOT ONE public commitment available for men's college baskeball.http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2022

Contrast that with women's soccer where some of the top teams have already completed their 2022 class. A lot of things change in 4 years. It's a huge gamble for both the university and the player to commit that early.

Men’s basketball is a revenue sport! Players take their 5 trips. The university makes a huge profit and might even get a building donated by a future NBA player. You are comparing apples to pumpkins...

The top schools are getting the top players. It’s that simple. The players that sit on the bench at the top schools would be starters on most teams. Where are you getting 8th grade from? Nobody is committing 8th graders.
They were watching 8th graders and made verbal offers last year to 8th graders. Do you think AC or any other coach will need to "pop" in now to see the new incoming 8th graders practice or does a sneak attack during warm ups before the big DA Game is more suited to see the true Sally? Maybe the coach will be hiding among the parents to see how hard little elite, elite Sally is holding up in the big DA game that's already 6-1 at the half? Sally has 6 goals already. Coach wants to see what Sally will do in the second half? Is she going for the third hat trick? Final: Sally's Team 9, far away DA team 1. Sally scored 9 goals for a triple hat trick. College coach is impressed but can't talk to the 14 year old anymore.....yikes!!!

There you go-

Men’s basketball is a revenue sport! Players take their 5 trips. The university makes a huge profit and might even get a building donated by a future NBA player. You are comparing apples to pumpkins...
No, I'm only comparing the recruiting process MAP. That's why men's basketball coaches can't take a chance and sign an 8th grader. But UCLA can sign 3o YNT players because half of them want the education more than actually playing. Q. How many girls at UCLA right now get 100% free everything?

No, I'm only comparing the recruiting process MAP. That's why men's basketball coaches can't take a chance and sign an 8th grader. But UCLA can sign 3o YNT players because half of them want the education more than actually playing. Q. How many girls at UCLA right now get 100% free everything?

I would say all of them want the education. You are mistaken if you believe that there aren’t players that want an education and that will also be professional players.

They were watching 8th graders and made verbal offers last year to 8th graders. Do you think AC or any other coach will need to "pop" in now to see the new incoming 8th graders practice or does a sneak attack during warm ups before the big DA Game is more suited to see the true Sally? Maybe the coach will be hiding among the parents to see how hard little elite, elite Sally is holding up in the big DA game that's already 6-1 at the half? Sally has 6 goals already. Coach wants to see what Sally will do in the second half? Is she going for the third hat trick? Final: Sally's Team 9, far away DA team 1. Sally scored 9 goals for a triple hat trick. College coach is impressed but can't talk to the 14 year old anymore.....yikes!!!

It’s much simpler than that. Players that end up at Stanford and UCLA dominate club games and it’s pretty obvious that their individual abilities are outstanding in some way. They jump out at you! They are always on. Even when they aren’t having their best game they are involved in the flow of the game. I don’t know what to say other than each graduating year in SoCal there are a couple players who are head and shoulders above the rest. Those are the type of players that do well in those type of environments.

You should watch Stanford or UCLA train and you would understand. Those coaches know what they are looking for because they see excellence every day.

Good luck to you and your player.

I would say all of them want the education. You are mistaken if you believe that there aren’t players that want an education and that will also be professional players.
How many of the YNT players who sit for 5 years play pro after their education? How many players at UCLA get a full ride?

It’s much simpler than that. Players that end up at Stanford and UCLA dominate club games and it’s pretty obvious that their individual abilities are outstanding in some way. They jump out at you! They are always on. Even when they aren’t having their best game they are involved in the flow of the game. I don’t know what to say other than each graduating year in SoCal there are a couple players who are head and shoulders above the rest. Those are the type of players that do well in those type of environments.

You should watch Stanford or UCLA train and you would understand. Those coaches know what they are looking for because they see excellence every day.

100% agree. TY

Girls trying to become the next Taylor Swift or Rihanna have much better odds than those trying to become the next Carli Lloyd or Crystal Dunn. And can make a helluva lot more coin too.
And they probably have parents that are even more crazy than soccer parents.

How many of the YNT players who sit for 5 years play pro after their education? How many players at UCLA get a full ride?

What school other than North Carolina has more current pro players than UCLA? All I know is what I pay and I spend more on my cable bill (and I don’t have HBO) than I have spent on my daughter’s college. In 9 years of club soccer I spent a little over $30k. For her entire college education I have spent about what you spend in one season of club (maybe less).

If all that you are looking for is money then unfortunately the top schools have spent it on their purple unicorns. You know that type of player that comes in as a freshman and impacts the game from day one. It doesn’t matter when you watch them play because you know that they are going to win their 1v1 battles.

No need to stress there is an Alexandria out there for your player. And who knows they already lost 2 players from their 2020 class (although with 13 players they likely weren’t getting much money if any). Recruiting is an inexact science but some players are can’t miss while others aren’t quite as polished initially.

Q. How many girls at UCLA right now get 100% free everything?

As a NCAA Division I school - Women's Soccer has 14 scholarships to give out and average roster of 28 players. When you ask about how many get a "full ride" or 100% free everything, the soccer program can give 14 a full ride, or 28 a half-ride or some a full-ride, other's a half-ride and other's 1/3 ride. Many D1 programs have athletes receiving no scholarship money because the parents/athlete is very wealthy. Some programs also have dual sport scholarship athletes, receiving a 1/2 ride from soccer and a 1/2 ride from another sport. Then you look at the academic scholarships and grants, which are merit based and can supplement.

On the boys side the numbers are worse (but this is about girls).

As you move down the line, DII (9.9), DIII (no athletic scholarships) and NAIA (12) the availability of non-athletic scholarships skews the numbers.

I personally don't know how many at UCLA get a full ride, but its less than half.

As a NCAA Division I school - Women's Soccer has 14 scholarships to give out and average roster of 28 players. When you ask about how many get a "full ride" or 100% free everything, the soccer program can give 14 a full ride, or 28 a half-ride or some a full-ride, other's a half-ride and other's 1/3 ride. Many D1 programs have athletes receiving no scholarship money because the parents/athlete is very wealthy. Some programs also have dual sport scholarship athletes, receiving a 1/2 ride from soccer and a 1/2 ride from another sport. Then you look at the academic scholarships and grants, which are merit based and can supplement.

On the boys side the numbers are worse (but this is about girls).

As you move down the line, DII (9.9), DIII (no athletic scholarships) and NAIA (12) the availability of non-athletic scholarships skews the numbers.

I personally don't know how many at UCLA get a full ride, but its less than half.

UCLA has 35 players on the roster so that changes the math even further. Again I only know about my kid's deal and those who have shared with her or myself. Instate for UCLA is about $28k a year for tuition, fees, books, room and board. Add $40k a year for out of state or foreign students. Regardless of what deal someone gets at a PAC 12 or BIG TEN school it is guaranteed for 4 years. My kid's coaches play whomever will help the team win and that has earned the right to be on the field regardless of what a recruit's "rankings" are. To me it is the purest form of competition and I know that it is the same at Stanford. Get the best 11 on the field plus any other players that are going to help the team win. If that is 13 so be it. If that is 20 so be it.

What school other than North Carolina has more current pro players than UCLA? All I know is what I pay and I spend more on my cable bill (and I don’t have HBO) than I have spent on my daughter’s college. In 9 years of club soccer I spent a little over $30k. For her entire college education I have spent about what you spend in one season of club (maybe less).

If all that you are looking for is money then unfortunately the top schools have spent it on their purple unicorns. You know that type of player that comes in as a freshman and impacts the game from day one. It doesn’t matter when you watch them play because you know that they are going to win their 1v1 battles.

No need to stress there is an Alexandria out there for your player. And who knows they already lost 2 players from their 2020 class (although with 13 players they likely weren’t getting much money if any). Recruiting is an inexact science but some players are can’t miss while others aren’t quite as polished initially.

Your still not answering my Q. Do you know how many players at UCLA get a full ride? You see MAP, I'm not very smart and I was always under the impression that everyone was getting a "full ride" in Girls Soccer, at least the Unicorns. I'm being very serious. I'm glad that your Unicorn got it all paid for and must importantly, stayed a Unicorn and Purple for that matter :) For the record, my dd hasn't had to pay a dime for anything, travel, team fees since she left Blues as an a 11 year old. Yup, there selling FREE FREE FREE soccer for the Unicorns starting when thier 12 years old in SOCal. Trust me, she's not the only one either. Problem is, it's not really *FEEE. If your paying to be in the DA, I have a sports franchise opportunity I would love to sell you. So let me say again, I have spend ZERO as I'm sure all the Unicorns now could say. If rich folks are paying $250,000 just to get admitted, then this education stuff is a lot more valuable to Americans than I thought. I think GIRLS SOCCER in America is CURRUPT!!!!!

And for DA record, this year, I'm paying just like all the others on the team. Coach called, told me the fees, told me what he will do for my dd and I stroked a check like all the other parents. I don't want my kid to be a Unicorn. No special favors. No FREE anymore. Just play :)

Back