ECNL Playoffs

What makes you think the top clubs would all be in ECNL if GA didn’t exist?

We ran that experiment. Without a second league, ECNL restricts membership in an effort to gain a competitive advantage in local markets. You end up with top clubs outside ECNL because the other top club in their area doesn’t want them in.

If USYSA had half a brain, they would have constructed a system with multiple levels above the local club scene. The ODP state/regional/national structure was their best effort, but that was all part-time with most players spending more time with their club coaches, more or less guaranteeing inconsistent training. Development Academy was a half-hearted attempt with the weakness (other than the obvious lack of funding) was to leave the local clubs in charge. ECNL is just another gap-filler.

My son's best opportunity for development was playing three years in an under-20 league (USL Super-20) composed of a mix of high school and college players. His final season there ended the week before Captain's Camp preceding his Freshman year at college. He was fit and ready for that level of play.
I’m excited about the upcoming USL W league. I’m encouraged. Thanks for sharing!:)

Why would you bring a college player to this event? What does that tell the rest of the players that are trying (last chance) to get into college playing soccer?
I think having college players participate is good because it allows the scouts to compare and contrast the HS player with college players in a real game.

I think it tells the rest of the players that if they can’t compete with a college player in a youth tournament, that they probably aren’t going to compete for a starting position on a college team.
[/QUOTE]
The benefits that you outline are for the college coach
Why would you bring a college player to this event? What does that tell the rest of the players that are trying (last chance) to get into college playing soccer?
I think having college players participate is good because it allows the scouts to compare and contrast the HS player with college players in a real game.

I think it tells the rest of the players that if they can’t compete with a college player in a youth tournament, that they probably aren’t going to compete for a starting position on a college team.
[/QUOTE]

If I am a parent paying $2k in travel fees to watch my dd in the bench while some glorified college player is in the field? I have my answers that I don’t belong in that team and that it’s a scam. Thankfully my little girl is focused on school first and soccer second. This ECRL thing is a scam and needs to go away. Keep ECNL but get rid of this scam called ECRL.

[/QUOTE]

If I am a parent paying $2k in travel fees to watch my dd in the bench while some glorified college player is in the field? I have my answers that I don’t belong in that team and that it’s a scam. Thankfully my little girl is focused on school first and soccer second. This ECRL thing is a scam and needs to go away. Keep ECNL but get rid of this scam called ECRL.
[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have more color on the Legends issue? How many players were on their bench all week? How many college players did they have playing?
It would suck to spend a week at a travel tournament to get hosed out of playing time because a former player is home from college for the summer. But I haven't seen any details to indicate that was the issue.

Maybe this player was already planning to be in Tampa for the week and said "hey coach - If you need a player, I'm in town that same week. Let me know if I can play"

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
That’s not good. If I were running a youth organization, I’d be scared someone would go “postal” for those type of shenanigans.

The GDA proved that you can have two "elite" leagues that college coaches will pay attention to. Is their dilution - sure. At the same time there is also expanded opportunity. ECNL by nature (elite leagues by nature) exclude players. The quest for a truly elite league is an uphill battle as long as money and parents are going to be involved.

Now, if AYSO keeps $$$ low, attracts professional coaches, and can organize a national league with playoffs, I'd be on board. We have a gazillion leagues now. It's the nature of the beast.

Is there a way to see group standings and tiebreaker info for the Carolina Nationals? All I can find is schedule and results.

We ran that experiment. Without a second league, ECNL restricts membership in an effort to gain a competitive advantage in local markets. You end up with top clubs outside ECNL because the other top club in their area doesn’t want them in.
Hopefully this fall in NorCal the "Top" Clubs all play each other since ECNL has placed their teams in the NorCal NPL in previous seasons and played other non ECNL clubs. Hopefully the GA does this and ECNL continues to do so.

Hopefully this fall in NorCal the "Top" Clubs all play each other since ECNL has placed their teams in the NorCal NPL in previous seasons and played other non ECNL clubs. Hopefully the GA does this and ECNL continues to do so.
Lamo will be nice and fresh for those GA games!

I agree. Even if ECNL/GA teams don't take NPL as serious or get lower roster kids playing time, it would be fun to see the competition.

I think having a 2nd league overall is good. Makes GA try to improve each year and ECNL do things to stay on top aka don't have nationals in Florida.

A VERY common theme amongst the teams I know that went. We had 3 players not make the trip due to injury and 4 playing with injuries. Coach did a great job managing their minutes but it definitely made things more “interesting” as most of the injuries were to defensive players.
It appears that once they hit U14, you start seeing more injuries and more serious injuries it just seems to accelerate as they get older.

This times 1000. Having just ECNL creates local monopolies. Having multiple elite leagues or some kind relegation mechanism fixes this to some degree.

Very reasonable answer. You rarely see crutches at u14 or below but lots of hobbled kids as they get older.

Girls are more prone to injuries than boys. Many reasons (girls are just different than boys) but overuse, overtraining is a significant factor. Take a peek at how your club incorporates training beyond field play. How many days a week do teams go and focus on strength, stretch, recovery? How specific is the warm up (games and practice).

Injuries suck - they can suck the life out of an entire season and demoralize a team. Coaches and clubs that over emphasize winning often push players back to quickly. My oldest player's team this year was injury riddled. Big difference in record year over year. Coaches and club didn't rush anyone back, taking into consideration pathways to college, etc. Many games were played with a less than ideal roster size. Luckily most girls had committed and the season was written off as one that would be used to remain in shape, develop, and enjoy team mates one last year. It was the only logical and least stressful way to approach the season. Buyer beware of coaches that want your players to suck it up and play through injuries. Last time I checked clubs were not paying our DDs to play.

Back