DMCV Sharks Girls Director

Question- Did Deza walk into a program like DelMar and really have to do anything to turn it around? I ask because his job is monumental. Almost impossible when competing with Surf. I think they hired the right person, but needs a number of years passed where we are now.
I'm trying to translate through this one. It seems like you're comparing Deza at Surf with Mike W at Sharks + saying that MWs job at Sharks is so difficult that he needs more time to implement change.

Maybe more time will work. Personally I don't think it will happen. I don't have a definitive number but in general I hear about more players leaving than joining Sharks. (This is for girls only. I have no idea what the boys side looks like) But who knows maybe there's new players nobodys seen play yet that are being recruited.

I'll bring this thread up again after a couple of years and we can review the results.

I'm trying to translate through this one. It seems like you're comparing Deza at Surf with Mike W at Sharks + saying that MWs job at Sharks is so difficult that he needs more time to implement change.

Maybe more time will work. Personally I don't think it will happen. I don't have a definitive number but in general I hear about more players leaving than joining Sharks. (This is for girls only. I have no idea what the boys side looks like) But who knows maybe there's new players nobodys seen play yet that are being recruited.

I'll bring this thread up again after a couple of years and we can review the results.
What are your expectations for MW and Sharks in the past 2 years and in the next two years?

What are your expectations for MW and Sharks in the past 2 years and in the next two years?
For the last 2 years... I'd say that MW has made the girls side better at Sharks. But, it would be hard to not improve considering how bad things were. When MW first started there was a buzz at Sharks that allowed him to bring on many new players. Now he's on the same level as everyone else + recruiting isn't going to be as easy. I don't know how he's going recreate the buzz to continue bringing on talent. Also, you can see in the younger ages that Sharks don't have a large funnel of new players.

For the next 2 years... Improve in ECNL Sonoran across all teams + Improve in National Rankings across all teams. (hopefully, time will tell)

For the last 2 years... I'd say that MW has made the girls side better at Sharks. But, it would be hard to not improve considering how bad things were. When MW first started there was a buzz at Sharks that allowed him to bring on many new players. Now he's on the same level as everyone else + recruiting isn't going to be as easy. I don't know how he's going recreate the buzz to continue bringing on talent. Also, you can see in the younger ages that Sharks don't have a large funnel of new players.

For the next 2 years... Improve in ECNL Sonoran across all teams + Improve in National Rankings across all teams. (hopefully, time will tell)
If it was that easy to move out of those positions, many existing ECNL teams would do so but they're unable to. Being in Surf's backyard makes it twice as hard.

How much movement are you expecting to see MW move sharks in the next two years? All ECNL teams in the top 100? 50?

If it was that easy to move out of those positions, many existing ECNL teams would do so but they're unable to. Being in Surf's backyard makes it twice as hard.

How much movement are you expecting to see MW move sharks in the next two years? All ECNL teams in the top 100? 50?
I don't really look for specific numbers.

Trends, either up or down are what I tend to monitor.

That's great for the Sharks, the more competitive teams the better especially in an area where there is so much talent. I can only imagine everyone in SD wants to play for Surf (assumption don't shoot me) but having another strong ECNL option will be great for the girls in SD area....
Sharks will never be an option on SD
They are quickly becoming the club to be at to end a career it’s where all ex surf players come to die as there record speaks for itself, if anyone is there or thinking about going stay as far away as you can from this mess of a club.

They are quickly becoming the club to be at to end a career it’s where all ex surf players come to die as there record speaks for itself, if anyone is there or thinking about going stay as far away as you can from this mess of a club.
This is good advice. Maybe sockma will figure it out someday.

MW is a solid coach. He was brought in to accomplish a single mission—keep Sharks in ECNL; without a doubt they were on the verge of getting the boot with an average finish of 13.5 of 14 teams before MW. So he cleaned house, and had the backing to do it. The results show they have improved slightly. Surf rejects and former Albion players make up the most of his stronger players at the older age groups. Hell, MW won a national title at Albion before there was a DA/ECNL/GA breakout. Where are all those 06 players? They certainly did not follow him to Sharks.
sockma will cherry pick results and tell you Sharks beat Surf 09s 3-1 (But won’t tell you it went 3-0 to Surf a month before). This Surf 09 team was in the ECNL final four in Richmond the last 2 years. No Sharks team is heading to Richmond anytime soon.
Every time I see Sharks play Surf in ECNL, I applaud MW for sitting on the sidelines coaching on the wrong side of a goal diffential of -30 over 6 age groups. He gives it his best with the talent he has before him. Don’t compare him to Surf. Surf gauges success by numbers of senior National team players (all countries), youth national team players, college commitments, and youth national championships, in that order. MW and Sharks are not close in any of those departments, with the exception of college commitments to schools lower in the rankings.
If my daughter was in San Diego county and couldn't make the cut at Surf, I would strongly consider Rebels and City GA before heading over to Sharks. They have better college commits.

Let’s be realistic and give MW a decade to turn things around at Sharks. Two years is just a blip. A lot can happen in a decade, and NWSL next is coming. I’m doubting Sharks will get an invite.
Good luck to you MW—keep up the good fight.

This is good advice. Maybe sockma will figure it out someday.

MW is a solid coach. He was brought in to accomplish a single mission—keep Sharks in ECNL; without a doubt they were on the verge of getting the boot with an average finish of 13.5 of 14 teams before MW. So he cleaned house, and had the backing to do it. The results show they have improved slightly. Surf rejects and former Albion players make up the most of his stronger players at the older age groups. Hell, MW won a national title at Albion before there was a DA/ECNL/GA breakout. Where are all those 06 players? They certainly did not follow him to Sharks.
sockma will cherry pick results and tell you Sharks beat Surf 09s 3-1 (But won’t tell you it went 3-0 to Surf a month before). This Surf 09 team was in the ECNL final four in Richmond the last 2 years. No Sharks team is heading to Richmond anytime soon.
Every time I see Sharks play Surf in ECNL, I applaud MW for sitting on the sidelines coaching on the wrong side of a goal diffential of -30 over 6 age groups. He gives it his best with the talent he has before him. Don’t compare him to Surf. Surf gauges success by numbers of senior National team players (all countries), youth national team players, college commitments, and youth national championships, in that order. MW and Sharks are not close in any of those departments, with the exception of college commitments to schools lower in the rankings.
If my daughter was in San Diego county and couldn't make the cut at Surf, I would strongly consider Rebels and City GA before heading over to Sharks. They have better college commits.

Let’s be realistic and give MW a decade to turn things around at Sharks. Two years is just a blip. A lot can happen in a decade, and NWSL next is coming. I’m doubting Sharks will get an invite.
Good luck to you MW—keep up the good fight.

wow...this debate isn't about Surf being the best bc that's not even debatable.

why the hatred and put down for another program and all the girls on it? surf rejects and former Albion players? Aren't there plenty of those everywhere, including Surf too? There are surf rejects that came back on to the top teams in later years.

This year, the 06/05 dominance is due to the addition of a few great 05s and definitely one USYNT player from Albion?

We all know Surf is the best in town and even with a decade, Sharks most likely won't be able to beat them.

This year - there's only been one San Diego ECNL age group that has beaten SURF .... and that's Sharks 09. Not with a score of 1-0 but with a score of 3-1. I don't have a kid on either team but it's exciting to see some local rivalry being built up, although not a lot yet.

I'm not sure how you could say City and Rebels are better in the future when you compare their growth to Sharks. Youth Soccer Rankings doesn't lie and the numbers show Sharks beating City and Rebels in most ECNL age groups. That's a huge growth factor from where Sharks was two years ago. Do you not agree with these numbers?

Their college commits have been improving at a high rate too. What are your facts to support otherwise? I'm just looking at the factual evidence.

Surf will continue to be the top club in San Diego for a long time. My only gripe with Surf has been their unwillingness to find a good female coach. It would be great if they were willing to search for one. Jen Lalor was great and they didn't bring her over from Albion. That was a loss for San Diego girls.

Sharks is a SD option. Not a top option like Surf. The evidence/record clearly shows that Sharks is currently better than City and Rebels at the ECNL level age groups.

Look at the 2007 Sharks girls. They're not dying at all.

My kids are not Sharks players but we definitely see the huge improvement at Sharks ECNL since MW took over and we're happy for the girls that are getting another option after they left Surf. My daughter might need that option one day too so I'm glad it's improving with MW.

I'm not sure how you could say City and Rebels are better in the future when you compare their growth to Sharks. Youth Soccer Rankings doesn't lie and the numbers show Sharks beating City and Rebels in most ECNL age groups. That's a huge growth factor from where Sharks was two years ago. Do you not agree with these numbers?

There is some disconnect on the numbers. By my read, DMCV Sharks would finish 3rd of 3 against City SC and Rebels in all age groups from 2016G through 06/05G, save for 2007G, where all 3 are relatively weak, or 2009G - where Sharks are strong, and they would finish 2 of 3 for 2010G. Where are you seeing them ahead in most ECNL age groups?

DMCV Spreadsheet.png

Wow...Were you ever part of the club? Seems like you were with all the hatred you are writing. Anyways, from what I have gathered through the entire recruiting process is this....The individual kid is who gets recruited, not the team. Scouts and schools are looking for particular players with a particular skillset, regardless of what team you are on. And that as much as you think the coach is helping you get recruited, they are not. The scouts/schools are the ones to initiate contact with the coach, if they ever decide to do so.

There is some disconnect on the numbers. By my read, DMCV Sharks would finish 3rd of 3 against City SC and Rebels in all age groups from 2016G through 06/05G, save for 2007G, where all 3 are relatively weak, or 2009G - where Sharks are strong, and they would finish 2 of 3 for 2010G. Where are you seeing them ahead in most ECNL age groups?

View attachment 18912
Comparing the 3 in ECNL age - 05/06-2011. The only two age groups DMCV is 3rd is 05/06 and 08.

05-06: DMCV 3rd , Rebels 1, City 2nd
2007: DMCV 1st , Rebels 2, City 3
2008: DMCV 3rd, Rebels 1, City 2
2009: DMCV 1st, Rebels 2, City 3
2010: DMCV 2nd, Rebels 3, City 1
2011: DMCV 2nd, Rebels 3, City 1

Looking at it - all three clubs are equal at the ECNL age groups. Which means all DMCV has improved the most because DMCV was at #3 at all age groups 2 years ago.

View attachment 18912
Comparing the 3 in ECNL age - 05/06-2011. The only two age groups DMCV is 3rd is 05/06 and 08.

Looking at it - all three clubs are currently equal at the ECNL age groups. Which means between all 3 clubs, DMCV has improved the most because DMCV was at #3 position in all age groups before MW.

Between DMCV and Rebels - 4 out of 6 teams, DMCV is higher ranked. DMCV and Rebels play the same competition teams.

Between DMCV and City - City is ranked 4 out of 6 teams higher than Sharks. but ....if you look at the competition City has been playing, it's an inflated number because their competition is easier, kinda like comparing TOP Hat to Solar.

If you want to go to the 2nd best ECNL team in San Diego today, it's DMCV.

If you just go by YSR without comparing league and competition, then City is the 2nd best option in San Diego but DMCV is still the 2nd best ECNL option in San Diego.

I'm not a big fan of the rankings app for individual games but I do think that does a very good job at national rankings.

It's making leagues less important + highlighting the efforts of clubs/coaches.

Give it a couple of years of data and you'll be able to show club/team improvement (or deterioration).

Regarding Sharks I'm fairly certain what the yoy trend will look like. But I'm ok waiting for 2 years to see what happens.

Sharks are improving and MW is the real deal. I would argue his coaching philosophy is slightly different than Surf's affording his players a little more room for creativity. His program is a completely viable and stable option now. But no matter what, Sharks will never come close to overtaking Surf for one simple reason - Surf has Surf Sports Complex which gives them a massive advantage in recruting, training and revenue generation. Sharks have improved the surfaces they train and play on but they will never have anything close the Polo Fields and, accordingly, will never rival Surf for regional dominance. If Sharks and Surf were to swap facilities, Sharks would overtake Surf in quick order.

Sharks are improving and MW is the real deal. I would argue his coaching philosophy is slightly different than Surf's affording his players a little more room for creativity. His program is a completely viable and stable option now. But no matter what, Sharks will never come close to overtaking Surf for one simple reason - Surf has Surf Sports Complex which gives them a massive advantage in recruting, training and revenue generation. Sharks have improved the surfaces they train and play on but they will never have anything close the Polo Fields and, accordingly, will never rival Surf for regional dominance. If Sharks and Surf were to swap facilities, Sharks would overtake Surf in quick order.
4ca865afaaf9674fb62b07997ae36ef8.jpg

Looking at it - all three clubs are currently equal at the ECNL age groups. Which means between all 3 clubs, DMCV has improved the most because DMCV was at #3 position in all age groups before MW.

Between DMCV and Rebels - 4 out of 6 teams, DMCV is higher ranked. DMCV and Rebels play the same competition teams.

Between DMCV and City - City is ranked 4 out of 6 teams higher than Sharks. but ....if you look at the competition City has been playing, it's an inflated number because their competition is easier, kinda like comparing TOP Hat to Solar.

If you want to go to the 2nd best ECNL team in San Diego today, it's DMCV.

If you just go by YSR without comparing league and competition, then City is the 2nd best option in San Diego but DMCV is still the 2nd best ECNL option in San Diego.

I still think your interpretation of the numbers is generous to DMCV. They are leading in 2007G, where everyone being compared is weak, and they are leading in 2009G, where everyone listed is also weak. Every other year they get beaten whether ECNL numbers alone or rating/ranking numbers. Over time - these numbers will continue to improve, they will plateau, or they will deteriorate - and we'll all have more information about whether they were on the upswing or not.

I still think your interpretation of the numbers is generous to DMCV. They are leading in 2007G, where everyone being compared is weak, and they are leading in 2009G, where everyone listed is also weak. Every other year they get beaten whether ECNL numbers alone or rating/ranking numbers. Over time - these numbers will continue to improve, they will plateau, or they will deteriorate - and we'll all have more information about whether they were on the upswing or not.
probably. Only time will tell. I'm hoping for the best to give our girls better options in San Diego. Good club competition will create better products and services for the girls.

probably. Only time will tell. I'm hoping for the best to give our girls better options in San Diego. Good club competition will create better products and services for the girls.
UCLA and USC are the top women college soccer programs in SoCal on paper and tradition, and also around the country. Surf is top in SD for youth soccer. Look what coach Scott has done at UCI. It took him some time and a little luck, they are now #1 In Socal. Plus, the travel in the Pac 12 is going to be cruel at best and not for alltypes of players. UCI has a great location and with the current success last three years, they will get better. Give MW some time everyone and I bet some of his teams will pull off the upset against Surf & City Carlsbad Club.

Back