CDA Slammers Whittier FC

Troglia7

BRONZE
I think it’s very important for me, Tessa Troglia, to have the opportunity to share with my families, friends, and coaches the details of me “leaving” CDA Slammers FC Whittier.

EDITED: If anyone would like to hear Mrs. Troglia's interaction with CDA Slammers please message her. As for the rest below it is public information.

Dominic

Last edited by a moderator:
What "road were you blocking"?
Were they trying to grow larger? Were they trying to dictate team formation? Were they trying to dictate coach assignments? Did they want more money?

Last edited:
Ms. Troglia-

You seem like you have a lot going for you and a lot to offer people in your chosen line of work. For that reason, you might want to delete your post. Otherwise, you’re essentially telling potential future employers and business partners that you sue people and trash them on the Internet when you don’t get your way. If I found something like this from a potential hire, I would not want to hire them, and my feelings on this are pretty typical.

I have no idea who was right or wrong here, if anyone. From your post, It seems that you care very much for others to the point that you help them without the expectation of compensation although that is part of your business. That is admirable, but it is also no way to operate a business. Maybe you were both right but had different priorities and interests. Maybe both sides could have handled things better. Maybe you are 100% right and they were 100% wrong, but I have found that is almost never the case.

And even if you are truly right and they are wrong,
there is little to accomplish from your post. It won’t get your job back and it won’t help you get other jobs. It’s unlikely this will hurt them financially because anyone who is likely to leave because of how they treated you would probably do that anyway. All you’re doing is letting them know they got to you and potentially setting yourself up for a cross-complaint.

I wish you the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
What "road were your blocking"?
Were they trying to grow larger? Were they trying to take dictate team formation? Were they trying to dictate coach assignments? Did they want more money?
You do realize that they own the club and can run it how they sit fit to try and have their business make money. It is not a charity.

You do realize that they own the club and can run it how they sit fit to try and have their business make money. It is not a charity.

... well ... actually it is a charity, a non-profit mutual benefit corporation. Here is their 990: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/810754864

But, yes, as the officers and members of the corporation they can run it however they want.

I'll also point out that they move their money outside of the organization in a sneaky way.

Money talks.

But it don’t sing and dance, and it don’t walk.

What are you doing? Are you saying businesses should lose money? Businesses shouldn’t be able to pay their employees?

Where did this idea that youth soccer clubs are “empires” and swimming in cash come from? There are maybe 20 youth club coaches and DOCs on the girls side in the entire country who make more than a typical sanitation engineer.

... well ... actually it is a charity, a non-profit mutual benefit corporation. Here is their 990: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/810754864

But, yes, as the officers and members of the corporation they can run it however they want.

I'll also point out that they move their money outside of the organization in a sneaky way.
I'm curious, what do you see in the tax return that shows to you that they move the $$$$ in a "sneaky way"?

Part VII shows 3 Camargos on the BOD and none of them received any compensation, but Section B immediately afterward shows one of them getting $24,000 as an independent contractor. Then in Schedule O, Additional Information, somebody got a car for $27,000+, casual labor was over $44,000, director fees of over $52000, entertainment over $42000, local director $50,800, training fees $85,951

I'm curious, what do you see in the tax return that shows to you that they move the $$$$ in a "sneaky way"?

See what @espola wrote, he just saved me some time:
Part VII shows 3 Camargos on the BOD and none of them received any compensation, but Section B immediately afterward shows one of them getting $24,000 as an independent contractor. Then in Schedule O, Additional Information, somebody got a car for $27,000+, casual labor was over $44,000, director fees of over $52000, entertainment over $42000, local director $50,800, training fees $85,951

@pokergod, also note that the company failed to check "If Schedule O contains a response or note to any line in this Part VII." If any one of these guys (Oscar, Alex or Walter) received any money from CDA Futbol in the form of cash or other services (cars, meals, reimbursements) and went ahead and listed $0 in columns D, E and F then that is "sneaky" and potentially fraudulent (on the part of the club and their tax representatives). More likely than not what they did is formed their own little LLCs or corporations and are hiding the compensation to themselves through entities, which is how these youth charities attempt to get around certain reporting requirements.

Also note that Alex and Walter are working 40 hours per week and 0 hours for related organizations. In light of the fact that Walter received $24,000 in the next section, column D should have reflected the $24k and not $0 (sneaky).

These guys are either sneaky (I see some tax fraud red flags), independently wealthy, or the most generous youth coaches in the area. We can't really say one way or another without diving deep into their personal tax situation because it looks like CDA Futbol is using some deception to conceal how its 40 hour a week "Officers" are compensated.

The IRS will overlook what will be alleged as a simple "administrative oversight" on the public 990 (that caused no harm), IF the individual reported the income and paid the taxes. The IRS only cares about collecting the tax dollars and not the transparency of this 501(c)(3).

See what @espola wrote, he just saved me some time:

@pokergod, also note that the company failed to check "If Schedule O contains a response or note to any line in this Part VII." If any one of these guys (Oscar, Alex or Walter) received any money from CDA Futbol in the form of cash or other services (cars, meals, reimbursements) and went ahead and listed $0 in columns D, E and F then that is "sneaky" and potentially fraudulent (on the part of the club and their tax representatives). More likely than not what they did is formed their own little LLCs or corporations and are hiding the compensation to themselves through entities, which is how these youth charities attempt to get around certain reporting requirements.

Also note that Alex and Walter are working 40 hours per week and 0 hours for related organizations. In light of the fact that Walter received $24,000 in the next section, column D should have reflected the $24k and not $0 (sneaky).

These guys are either sneaky (I see some tax fraud red flags), independently wealthy, or the most generous youth coaches in the area. We can't really say one way or another without diving deep into their personal tax situation because it looks like CDA Futbol is using some deception to conceal how its 40 hour a week "Officers" are compensated.

The IRS will overlook what will be alleged as a simple "administrative oversight" on the public 990 (that caused no harm), IF the individual reported the income and paid the taxes. The IRS only cares about collecting the tax dollars and not the transparency of this 501(c)(3).

The IRS may be happy if they get to tax the income one way or another, but the customers may feel that they have been lied to. Of course, if the product is good and people feel they are getting what they paid for, no one is likely to complain.

I looked at beach for comparison. Mauricio makes six figures. they have over a million in the bank. they raised fees and just let staff go. Not saying two wrongs make a right but doesn't seem too bad in comparison.

adding information and not opinion.....

CDA has different arrangements with each branch. Some are franchises, meaning the owners of CDA have vested interest, such as Huntington Beach while others are licensees who only use the brand both otherwise govern/manage themselves.

CDA continues to pay coaches on 1099 which suggests the coaches are independent contractors. However, the club still has the ability to dictate how, when, and where the coach works and by using California's definition of an employee would suggest they should be W2. To W2 the number of coaches who coach for CDA would qualify them for mandatory health benefits along with employment insurances and the expenses incurred by an employer in California. This also puts the onus on the coach to report the income and to withhold accordingly. This can be looked at as a tax advantage or exploiting a loophole or worse but that is the left to the opinion of the California Franchise Tax Board and Internal Revenue Service, which in 2014 had ruled they are indeed employees https://www.soccerwire.com/news/alert-irs-considers-paid-youth-coaches-as-employees-not-contractors

Based on these two variables, Coach Trojlia (whom I have never met)'s claims could be a "buyer beware" statement or the beginning of what could be a litigious claim. Such a claim, if filed with a court, would then put on public record the financial practices of the owners of CDA. If those practices are aligned with their tax returns could be of significant interest to both Regulators and labor lawyers as well.

It is public knowledge the owners of CDA, or BOD of their entity, are also the organizers and beneficiaries of their memorial weekend tournament that is by their own admission, "The largest memorial day tournament in the West/Country/I don't remember, with over 800+ teams. If each of those teams averaged $1000 per entry and their margin was 50% then revenues would be for top-line revenue of $800,000 and $400,000 gross. Know the club charges a fee of anywhere between $400-$700 per team, and estimate 100 teams is another $40,000-70,000. Do these numbers and their tax return look agreeable side by side? I don't know.

end of info.

my opinion - Yes, Coach putting this out there may cost her a position, and if so I have a feeling the Coach would be 100% ok with it. To coach for as long as she has, as a coach you stopped caring about making money years ago, and if it weren't for the kids they would have quit years ago, as well. Jobs come and go. On the other side, if I were in the situation of the club I'd do everything I could not to go through a discovery phase. Most people prefer not to have that type of scrutiny of their financial practices, especially when involving the IRS, CA Franchise Tax Board, Labor Board, and well you get the point. Not sure how this will turn out but you can take it to the bank that it's going to be interesting.

Looking at SCDSL for the various CDA groups:
  • CDA Slammers Cerritos-37 Teams: 12 Boys Teams / 25 Girls Teams
    • Executive Director- Alex Camargo
    • Executive Director - Walter Camargo
    • DOC: Nicole Woiemberghe
    • DOC: Luis Segovia
    • Registrar: Linda Camargo
  • CDA Slammers Fullerton - 14 Teams: 4 Boys Teams / 10 Girls Teams
    • Field Scheduler: Nathan Forrester
  • CDA Slammers HB-55 Teams: 21 Boys Teams / 34 Girls Teams
    • DOC: Alex Giminez
    • DOC: Sean Melendez
    • DOC: Heath Oberle
  • CDA Slammers Whittier- 37 Teams: 17 Boys Teams / 20 Girls Teams
    • DOC: Chris Paniagua
    • DOC: Kriss Flores
    • DOC: Tessa Troglia
  • CDA Slammers Diamond Bar- 14 Teams: 5 Boys Teams / 9Girls Teams
    • DOC: Matthew Franco
    • Club Admin: Kimberly Ayers
  • CDA Slammers Orange- 46 Teams: 24 Boys Teams / 22 Girls Teams
    • President: Ryan Smith
    • Vice President: Jim Lake
    • DOC: Kevin Esparza
    • Director of Fields: Flanagan Steven
    • Registrar: Heather Lake
I dont recall the history on how each of these teams formed or club they were prior to becoming part of CDA.

Wow! Talk about making the money on a franchise model. These guys are very smart. You can’t blame them if the market (parents) continue to pay high fees. I know one of these groups practices in very small fields that are not soccer related.

Looking at SCDSL for the various CDA groups:
  • CDA Slammers Cerritos-37 Teams: 12 Boys Teams / 25 Girls Teams
    • DOC: Nicole Woiemberghe
    • DOC: Luis Segovia
  • CDA Slammers Fullerton - 14 Teams: 4 Boys Teams / 10 Girls Teams
    • Field Scheduler: Nathan Forrester
  • CDA Slammers HB-55 Teams: 21 Boys Teams / 34 Girls Teams
    • DOC: Alex Giminez
    • DOC: Sean Melendez
    • DOC: Heath Oberle
  • CDA Slammers Whittier- 37 Teams: 17 Boys Teams / 20 Girls Teams
    • DOC: Chris Paniagua
    • DOC: Kriss Flores
  • CDA Slammers Diamond Bar- 14 Teams: 5 Boys Teams / 9Girls Teams
    • DOC: Matthew Franco
    • Club Admin: Kimberly Ayers
  • CDA Slammers Orange- 46 Teams: 24 Boys Teams / 22 Girls Teams
    • President: Ryan Smith
    • Vice President: Jim Lake
    • DOC: Kevin Esparza
    • Director of Fields: Flanagan Steven
    • Registrar: Heather Lake
I dont recall the history on how each of these teams formed or club they were prior to becoming part of CDA.

In their model do they charge per team or per player?

Back