Cal... What happened?

If style of play matters then UCLA, Stanford, Penn State and Florida State are the place for players that can play possession. If kickball is a player’s forte then there are plenty of potential destinations. Cal plays very direct soccer, which shouldn’t be a surprise, their coach is Scottish and they have the fastest soccer player in the country at forward. He likes to recruit a speed forward and play her over the top. That style doesn’t work against the better teams in the PAC 12.

there aren't many great coaches out there. The ones that are great,....win and develop the kids.

1) Paul Ratclife was one of few that won at St. Mary's and now wins at Stanford
2) Jerry has been winning for years with CAL and Stanford in his back yard, both of which are BETTER schools
3) Anson Dorrance at UNC -his resume speaks for itself
4) Steve Swanson at Virgina - 26 consecutive winning season, 22 NCAA appearance.
5) The great Clive Charles who coached Portland to multiple championships.

Maybe Amanda Cromwell who had great success at UCF and now at UCLA. Amanda has already proved she's better coach than Neil. Neil is just ok, just another coach that does well enough to stay around because CAL is too cheap to pony up for a big time up and coming coach. And that's true for their big programs like football and basketball----BOTH programs haven't done crap since the old Mike Montgomery and Maruucci/Tedford days.

Neil coached Alex Morgan who will probably Captain the USWNT in France. He is also the current coach of Abi Kim who went to the U20 world cup and is currently on the U23 USWNT. I think that’s why he’s still there.

Wow, then he's got job security see the new players that will be playing soon. I guess he's focused on top GK players, seeing he got both the top 2019, and 2022 GK.

I would think coaches would rather get the top Forward and Mids.

Wow, then he's got job security see the new players that will be playing soon. I guess he's focused on top GK players, seeing he got both the top 2019, and 2022 GK.

I would think coaches would rather get the top Forward and Mids.
Alex Morgan and Abi Kim are both forwards. Emily Boyd is a GK from Cal recently drafted. Maybe they’re focusing on both.

I took it to mean wearing GPS/heart rate outside of training or game times.. for me I would consider that a little extreme
Exactly. Players are monitored around the clock and it was presented as a way to evaluate whether the players were getting enough rest and recovery time. I walked away feeling like if a kid goes out to a party, coach will definitely know! However MK was unapologetic and stated he was recruiting type A personalities and if you don’t like it, then you should look elsewhere.

Exactly. Players are monitored around the clock and it was presented as a way to evaluate whether the players were getting enough rest and recovery time. I walked away feeling like if a kid goes out to a party, coach will definitely know! However MK was unapologetic and stated he was recruiting type A personalities and if you don’t like it, then you should look elsewhere.

God forbid a college athlete have a social life or even something so crazy as a dating life. I’m one hundred percent behind coaches who limit drinking and partying during season.

But could you imagine being a 20 year old kid in college with a constant monitor on you?

Type A is all well and good, but a STUDENT athlete deserves the opportunity to be a regular college student every once in a while

God forbid a college athlete have a social life or even something so crazy as a dating life. I’m one hundred percent behind coaches who limit drinking and partying during season.

But could you imagine being a 20 year old kid in college with a constant monitor on you?

Type A is all well and good, but a STUDENT athlete deserves the opportunity to be a regular college student every once in a while
We heard something similar from the Santa Clara coach last year while on a school visit. They track how much sleep their players are getting. I think it’s via a Fitbit or similar device. They mentioned that the lack of sleep was one the biggest factors that leave athletes more susceptible to injury, so they want to make sure their players are getting enough sleep.

We heard something similar from the Santa Clara coach last year while on a school visit. They track how much sleep their players are getting. I think it’s via a Fitbit or similar device. They mentioned that the lack of sleep was one the biggest factors that leave athletes more susceptible to injury, so they want to make sure their players are getting enough sleep.

This I can get on board with...

But imagine getting called into coaches office asking why your heart rate spiked at 11pm Tuesday night...

I can see the benefits, and I can see the lines that might be crossed.

Hey roommate - before you go to bed could you put this on for me?

This I can get on board with...

But imagine getting called into coaches office asking why your heart rate spiked at 11pm Tuesday night...

I can see the benefits, and I can see the lines that might be crossed.

Especially if the men's soccer coach is coordinating data with the women's soccer coach.

Hard to win in the PAC12 without an elite gk and/or an elite scorer unless the rest of the team is loaded. Losing Emily Boyd and 3 seniors on the backline hurt Cal this past year. A strong Jr class + Kim + an elite gk and I think 2019 will look different. Does not explain the NCAA issues in recent years though losing an all American senior defender in the first 2 mins to a red card, Santa Clara scoring on a brilliant free kick and playing down a player for 88 mins might explain the last game.

Hard to win in the PAC12 without an elite gk and/or an elite scorer unless the rest of the team is loaded. Losing Emily Boyd and 3 seniors on the backline hurt Cal this past year. A strong Jr class + Kim + an elite gk and I think 2019 will look different. Does not explain the NCAA issues in recent years though losing an all American senior defender in the first 2 mins to a red card, Santa Clara scoring on a brilliant free kick and playing down a player for 88 mins might explain the last game.

No excuses for Cal’s performance in the tournament. They get top talent every year. They are a top academic institution that can recruit players from anywhere on Earth. I can make excuses as to why my 10 year old son doesn’t clean his room without me making him. However, at the end of the day if his room isn’t clean it was his fault. Cal could easily get a top coach and could easily afford to pay him/her. This year is a big year for the Bears. Anything less than top 4 in the conference is a failure and unfortunately for them the rest of the conference has them circled on their schedule as the soft spot among their 4 games against the California schools in the conference and a must win.

Honestly I don’t feel bad for anyone that gets a Berkeley degree. Soccer is temporary but a world class education is forever.

I offered an explanation and not an excuse but I see how that could be interpreted differently than my intent. My comment re GKs/scorers was more general re the Pac and why schools like, say, Oregon have struggled.

I live in Berkeley so get to watch a lot of Cal games and I usually get to a few Stanford games each year (oddly enough, and full disclosure, the two schools where I have the largest personal rooting interest (no family members among the players on the teams)). I guess that means I’ve watched your daughter, @MakeAPlay , in addition to those of others on this board (I’ve even watched a HS game with my friend, @SpeedK1llz , back in his player’s senior year). I do remember a 7-0 win by Cal over UCLA in 2015, only 2 years before UCLA returned to the national finals. My point is not that Cal will play for the national title in 2020 or that UCLA’s down year in 2015 was comparable to Cal’s 2018 (UCLA was down but Cal’s was worse). My point is that the margin is thin and there’s a reason why the consistently elite teams are few in number.

I would think coaches would rather get the top Forward and Mids.[/QUOT

Everybody in the pac12 is getting better. OSU can’t get any worse with a new coach. The margin is narrow and the pressure is on at CAL.
Watch out for Oregon this year.

So this is finally Oregon’s year? It’s taken her 6 years to build the program to even have a winning record? Ok. Lol.

It’s very difficult to build a program. For one, the top recruits have been already spoken for, 2-3 years out. You are left with the leftovers and a few diamonds here and there that everyone else is looking for.

2) it takes about 5 years before all the players on the team are the new coach’s. You can just clean house like NFL teams do.

3) it’s just really hard to do at a mid level academic school and below. And there aren’t many coaches up to the task.

Cal want 1-9-1 in the pac 12.

Stanford, UCLA, USC are elite

Utah very good and has a recruiting niche.

Colorado, Arizona, WA state good.

Then comes ASU, Oregon, cal, Washington, and OSU. Oregon is improved. I don’t see cal getting out of this pack.
Maybe not this year, but as 2020's 2021's roll in.. they will contend.

Back