Cal South E-mail: "Welcome to the New Cal South!"

Welcome to the New Cal South!

FULLERTON, CA – On Tuesday, February 22, 2022, a vote by Affiliate Member League and Club representatives saw the overwhelming approval of recently proposed amendments to Cal South's Bylaws.
By a landslide vote of 240 "for" votes to a mere 7 "against" votes, the amended Bylaws are now official. With their approval, Cal South has essentially been provided with a mandate for continuing and expanding its efforts across all areas in revitalizing the organization.

This will mean a lot of positive changes to the way that Cal South operates, some immediate and some many more months in the making. It will mean increased concentration on customer service and new programs and features that will benefit our Members greatly. It will also mean a lot of hard work on the part of Cal South staffers and its Board to bring all of this change into play.

What do these Bylaws changes mean for our Members? Why were they necessary?

A VITAL CALL FOR CHANGE
Governing organizations in any sport are only able to serve their respective memberships well and efficiently when they listen to those members. Any system, no matter how successful, is always in need of improvement. Nothing is perfect. The organizations that are best able to maintain and grow their memberships are those that identify what needs to be improved. They keep their ear carefully to the ground and learn from their members what is or isn't working. Then they figure out how to fix what isn't.

Cal South has been listening.

Over the past nine months, Cal South has committed itself to listening hard to its members to find out what they expect and need from us. By collecting information through concentrated surveys and member communications, we have sought to turn around the registration downturn of the last couple years to bring about a new era of "Excellence in Soccer" in Cal South.

For 48 years now, Cal South has long proven itself as the standard bearer in youth and adult soccer both in Southern California and in the nation. From being at the forefront of coaching and referee education, to the ongoing success of our youth and adult teams on the regional and national stage, to the consistent placement of our Pro+ ODP players on national team pools… the long-running excellence of our many programs cannot be denied.
Recent changes, however, in the Southern California soccer landscape have greatly complicated the situation for our organization. Competitive programs have emerged, many clubs have left for what they presume to be greener fields, and the ongoing societal strains surrounding the pandemic crisis have not helped numbers at all either. On a corporate level, there has long been a logjam between the efforts of the Cal South staff and those of the Board of Directors. The results of all these factors has been an ever-increasing call for change within our organization.

Thanks to Tuesday's vote, that change is now underway…

RESTRUCTURING THE BOARD
With the approval vote for the new Bylaws, the immediate result is a restructuring of the Cal South Board of Directors into a smaller 7-person Board. The Nominations and Elections period that began in late December to fill more than a half dozen open Board positions was instantly negated and canceled upon the approval of the amended Bylaws. With the Board size reduced, this means a new 90-day Nominations and Elections must now begin to fill only two open Board positions.
On the new Board, the role of District Commissioner goes away, and old position titles (President, Vice-President of Youth, etc.) will no longer exist. Any Board Members still within their term will fully serve until their term completes in 2023. When the full 7-member Board of Directors meet for the first time following this election period, they will work together to determine who will fill the roles of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer for the year to come.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR OUR MEMBERS?
The streamlining of the Board is not just cosmetic. The purpose of changing the Bylaws was to refocus the attention of the Board to business oversight and "bigger picture" concerns, while leaving the day-to-day operational aspects fully in the hands of the Cal South CEO and his staff.
The new Bylaws are expected to impact Cal South Members most positively in three very important areas: responsiveness, innovation, and grass roots.
Responsiveness will be improved by streamlining or removing things that impede the success of Member businesses and provide for clearer and more specific communications regarding positions and decisions. By retargeting the Board towards oversight, it will allow for CEO/staff changes to Rules and Regulations, Standard Operating Procedures, and Policy Guidelines that make Cal South easier to work with for all Members.
Innovation across Cal South will be encouraged by unleashing the Board from day-to-day activities and commission them with strategy and business development. Operational innovation will be concentrated with CEO/staff and Members working together to identify best practices and game innovations that should be promoted and spread.
Grass Roots activities across Cal South will be encouraged and proliferated by implementing DEI policies that focus on the underserved, the unaffiliated, the poor, and the poorest of the poor. Additionally, empowering the CEO/staff with operational total ownership will provide more intense focus on "game day" issues and improvements that should build more day-to-day success across all of Southern California.

THE BEST IS YET TO COME…
Soccer is our passion. We want kids to play it. We want adults to play it. And if you can't play it, we want everyone to be involved in it at some level. We think "the beautiful game" is just that… the most wonderful sport in the world!

And we also want to make it easier for everyone to have access to that sport. Sharper customer service and increased responsiveness are key in both developing greater relationships with our Members and in delivering what they ask of us.

Looking at the broader picture, whether it is creating more recreational opportunities, helping to create playing spaces and leagues in underserved communities, or starting innovative and exciting new competitive circuits like the Pacific Players League, Cal South wants everyone to be able to take part in soccer. And flourish in it.

There is so much yet to do, but we are now enabled to move forward in the strongest way possible. Welcome to the new Cal South!

To read the original article on our website: https://calsouth.com/welcome-to-the-new-cal-south/

I’ve gotten so many e-mails from Cal South in the last week, when I used to get pretty much none. I don’t even know how my e-Mail is on this

is this part of the new “Cal South” plan, blast us with e-mails?

Read this , and it’s a lot of words with not a lot of detail. My opinion of course

I’ve gotten so many e-mails from Cal South in the last week, when I used to get pretty much none. I don’t even know how my e-Mail is on this

is this part of the new “Cal South” plan, blast us with e-mails?

Read this , and it’s a lot of words with not a lot of detail. My opinion of course
I agree. I have no idea how this changes anything. More clubs are leaving for SoCal because of the lack of competition in CalSouth and it sucks for the ones still there.

Cal South needs to create regional field managers, a low cost uniforms/supplies manager, coach paying system, tournament manager, online training assistance, additional regional training for top players, college recruiting and professional recruiting assistance for players and business assistance managers for smaller clubs. This will help smaller clubs retain their identities and compete with big clubs while creating more local pay at cheaper prices. Different Weekly quality small group private trainings at affordable prices for striking, technical skills, positioning, etc. CalSouth needs to find out why local clubs are struggling or merging with larger clubs and help them fill that void to keep costs low and more local play for families.

Create the winter training program for kids that want to play club soccer during high school winter programs. ODP program should be more localized and regional, with more trainings throughout the year, in order to have more kids involved. Remove the ECNL/ECRL players from this their programs because those programs have their own selection. Give opportunities to other kids in smaller clubs and promote these kids. Keeping the pool as big as possible.

Essentially, be the SURF SPORTS for all of Southern California non ECNL clubs, but eliminate the club bias.

TUDELA, SOCAL ELITE, Laguna, FRAM, EMPIRE, RANGERS, FORCE, SURF EAST, SDSC etc - so many talented players and clubs that could have used Cal South's assistance. When Legends/Surf/Strikers/Pats/Albion/Slammers started all these affiliations, CAL South should started work to protect the small clubs. Hoping they find a way to do that. Starbucks is great but local coffee is a necessity.

I agree. I have no idea how this changes anything. More clubs are leaving for SoCal because of the lack of competition in CalSouth and it sucks for the ones still there.

Wud up! If we were in CalSouth and not playing a better pool of teams, I would ask my Club why we are not moving to SoCal where better teams are. That way, our kids can continue to improve and grow. I am sure there is more to it but it should be that easy.

Wud up! If we were in CalSouth and not playing a better pool of teams, I would ask my Club why we are not moving to SoCal where better teams are. That way, our kids can continue to improve and grow. I am sure there is more to it but it should be that easy.
I don't want to speak for my kids clubs but I will say that in Ventura County we have one club that is moving only its most competitive teams to SoCal. The rest of the clubs are in CSL. The commitment to have to travel 40+ miles down the 101 for every league game is a lot to ask from families so unless everyone in the area moves leagues I doubt it happens.

15 or 20 years ago Surf Soccer got into a dispute with CSL about the placement of some of their teams in the CSL Premier bracket. Surf pulled all their teams back to Presidio, then started a rival league (SCDSL), abandoned Presidio throwing insults as they left, and then begged to bring some teams back. Now it looks like the formation of another league is killing off Presidio and Cal South.

Surf's arrogance and greed have managed to wreak havoc on Southern California youth soccer.

Last edited:
15 or 20 years ago Surf Soccer got into a dispute with CSL about the placement of some of their teams in the CSSL Premier bracket. Surf pulled all their teams back to Presidio, then started a rival league (SCDSL), abandoned Presidio throwing insults as they left, and then begged to bring some teams back. Now it looks like the formation of another league is killing off Presidio and Cal South.

Surf's arrogance and greed have managed to wreak havoc on Southern California youth soccer.
I'm impressed/disgusted by how Surf bends the rules in their favor on all fronts.

Most people wouldn't think about or consider who their 6yr olds team plays in a tournament. Surf does + brings out every trick possible to give their teams an advantage. This is just a small example of the how the clubs culture functions at all levels.

If you're going to play competitive I guess it makes sense to go all in.

If everyone who was disgusted by the existing system demanded a change, it could happen. But I can't even fathom how that would happen, or what the end result would look like.

If everyone who was disgusted by the existing system demanded a change, it could happen. But I can't even fathom how that would happen, or what the end result would look like.

Something happened to Cal South around 2005 or so. Some private disputes led to the reorganization of the PAD Committee, one of the biggest visible results of which was that their actions were no longer public. Then an executive session (secret - no minutes of what happened except the announced result) of the Cal South BOD decided to violate their own bylaws when the President resigned because his job moved him across the country, choosing one of the District Commissioners rather than the sitting Vice President to complete the term. Then there was the whole Bob Turner election fiasco.

Reactions: USC
I'm impressed/disgusted by how Surf bends the rules in their favor on all fronts.

Most people wouldn't think about or consider who their 6yr olds team plays in a tournament. Surf does + brings out every trick possible to give their teams an advantage. This is just a small example of the how the clubs culture functions at all levels.

If you're going to play competitive I guess it makes sense to go all in.
Could you give some examples? These are generalizations…

Or does coach Mario just train kids to play better than other 6 year olds?

I don't want to speak for my kids clubs but I will say that in Ventura County we have one club that is moving only its most competitive teams to SoCal. The rest of the clubs are in CSL. The commitment to have to travel 40+ miles down the 101 for every league game is a lot to ask from families so unless everyone in the area moves leagues I doubt it happens.
Which club is this?

Any updates on Cal South changes? or are they continuing with rhetoric only?

We get emails from them and see their social media updates but it's all general statements and nothing of service or substance. Maybe I'm missing out on information on new ways they are helping out the Cal South teams?

The only thing some of the former CSL clubs had going for them was that they were big fish or middle-size fish in a smaller pond, so to speak. If they are leaving a smaller league for better competition... be careful what you wish for.

I think it realistically is the perception of the leagues for a club's marketing purposes. At this point, SCDSL/SCL looks like a Toyota Camry and CSL is a Ford Focus. Nothing spectacular about either of these but its easier to sell the Toyota Camry.

Back