Bad News Thread

So much for remdesivir....Fauci is batting a 1000

I think the issue is ...
Is the drug used prior to hospitalization or used after.

The proponents claim it helps avoid serious issues.

So I would like to see studies of people with Covid who are given it prior to having to go to the hospital.

I think the issue is ...

So I would like to see studies of people with Covid who are given it prior to having to go to the hospital.

Maybe you should call for an audit.

I think the issue is ...

The issue with this drug is that unlike ivermectin or the antibodies it must be monitored in a care (usually hospital) setting

It’s also very expensive so they are only giving it to the very sick

Kendism?

Google says
Did you mean:
kantism
kenism
kendis
hinduism

Google correctly identified prevalent and readily identifiable-ism’s. I think that’s the point of a search engine.

Now, find a definition of -ism or the common defining features of such. (I hear there are some reference materials available for search with the keyword ‘Oxford’)

Then, explain your one word question (Kendism?) in the form of a thesis. Be prepared to defend your position with ‘link please’.

From the chatter online today we have begun the official “omg the vaccines aren’t working” panic phase of covid. Member when they said we needed restrictions to slow the spread…14 days…then 30? When they said we needed to keep the hospitals from collapsing? Until we could develop some treatments? Until we could bring down the curve? Until the vaccines rolled out? Member?

Had a family picnic at the beach for the 4th. Was an uncle in law there who has served in the uniformed public health corp and was posted to nih in the early 2000s. He didn’t know anything about how things went down in the pandemic but did have interesting Fauci gossip. Apparently they called him Napoleon and he had a reputation for being grouchy and he had a chip on his shoulder about how he was criticized after the aids crisis.

Came back to the forums for the college recruitment stuff. Probably a bad idea. Well maybe. Threads like this one. My God. So, just to clarify, every career scientist at NIH who has run a lab and then gone into administration acts like a dictator and is grouchy. Especially the program directors, but don't need to go there. It's just the person you have to become when you run a lab. Comes with the territory. Once they ditch the lab coat some manage the transition and some don't. But if they manage the transition it can work, because they tend to not be a political kiss ass and they are less prone to take shit from idiots. Fauci is not perfect, but he is pretty good overall given the tightrope he needed to walk during summer/fall 2020.

Actually, E's Climate and Weather thread on this site is still to me one of the most remarkable of its kind I've come across. Used to play with posters who tuned into the spreadsheet cowboys. Been awhile but it was fun.

Take a look at hospitalizations before you go off on how stupid you think it is.

Deaths and hospitalizations are decoupled from cases, but only for the vaccinated. LA still has enough unvaccinated adults to cause a significant spike in deaths.
Why would deaths and hospitalizations be decoupled from cases for the vaccinated only, when the survival rate was above 98% plus pre-vax? It's not stupid. It's tyranny.

Pretty much. You will fight tooth and nail to block the minor inconveniences, like masks or vaccine passports. Then you’ll complain like heck if/when the resulting surge triggers major inconveniences, like business and school closures.

It’s the same as last time. But there are fewer people left unvaccinated, so it will be smaller. We also might get lucky and see a vaccination surge following the hospitalization surge. Or not. I am watching MS/AR/MO vax rates to try to predict that one.
Your predictions are based on the PCR test that was never meant to detect the presence of the corona virus or infection. The PCR test lacks the ability to time stamp corona genetic sequences that could be decades old. So as long as you ignore that fact, your Quackery remains.

No I’ll complain like heck because masks didn’t do very much to begin with and you have even conceded they are now less effective against the delta so they’ll do even less. Then you’ll be back at the well citing new data which I will laugh and say was always inevitable the moment you contemplated going down the restrictions road because it’s never going to be enough.
Should I queue Dad's mask mea culpa?

So you missed the part where they gave the proper definition?
In addition to its own evils during its own time, slavery has generated fallacies that endure into our time, confusing many issues today. The distinguished historian Daniel J. Boorstin said something that was well known to many scholars, but utterly unknown to many among the general public, when he pointed out that, with the mass transportation of Africans in bondage to the Western Hemisphere, "Now for the first time in Western history, the status of slave coincided with a difference of race."

For centuries before, Europeans had enslaved other Europeans, Asians had enslaved other Asians and Africans had enslaved other Africans. Only in the modern era was there both the wealth and the technology to organize the mass transportation of people across an ocean, either as slaves or as free immigrants. Nor were Europeans the only ones to transport masses of enslaved human beings from one continent to another. North Africa's Barbary Coast pirates alone captured and enslaved at least a million Europeans from 1500 to 1800, carrying more Europeans into bondage in North Africa than there were Africans brought in bondage to the United States and the American colonies from which it was formed. Moreover, Europeans were still being bought and sold in the slave markets of the Islamic world, decades after blacks were freed in the United States.

Slavery was a virtually universal institution in countries around the world and for thousands of years of recorded history. Indeed, archaeological evidence suggests that human beings learned to enslave other human beings before they learned to write. One of the many fallacies about slavery— that it was based on race— is sustained by the simple but pervasive practice of focussing exclusively on the enslavement of Africans by Europeans, as if this were something unique, rather than part of a much larger worldwide human tragedy. Racism grew out of African slavery, especially in the United States, but slavery preceded racism by thousands of years. Europeans enslaved other Europeans for centuries before the first African was brought in bondage to the Western Hemisphere.

The brutal reality is that vulnerable people were usually taken advantage of wherever it was feasible to take advantage of them, regardless of what race or color they were. The rise of nation states put armies and navies around some people but it was not equally possible to establish nation states in all parts of the world, partly because of geography. Where large populations had no army or navy to protect them, they fell prey to enslavers, whether in Africa, Asia or along unguarded stretches of European coastlines where Barbary pirates made raids, usually around the Mediterranean but sometimes as far away as England or Iceland. The enormous concentration of writings and of the media in general on slavery in the Western Hemisphere, or in the United States in particular, creates a false picture which makes it difficult to understand even the history of slavery in the United States.

While slavery was readily accepted as a fact of life all around the world for centuries on end, there was never a time when slavery could get that kind of universal acceptance in the United States, founded on a principle of freedom, with which slavery was in such obvious and irreconcilable contradiction. Slavery was under ideological attack from the first draft of the Declaration of Independence and a number of Northern states banned slavery in the years immediately following independence. Even in the South, the ideology of freedom was not wholly without effect, as tens of thousands of slaves were voluntarily set free after Americans gained their own freedom from England.

Most Southern slaveowners, however, were determined to hold on to their slaves and, for that, some defense was necessary against the ideology of freedom and the widespread criticisms of slavery that were its corollary. Racism became that defense. Such a defense was unnecessary in unfree societies, such as that of Brazil, which imported more slaves than the United States but developed no such virulent levels of racism as that of the American South. Outside Western civilization, no defense of slavery was necessary, as non-Western societies saw nothing wrong with it. Nor was there any serious challenge to slavery in Western civilization prior to the eighteenth century.

Racism became a justification of slavery in a society where it could not be justified otherwise— and centuries of racism did not suddenly vanish with the abolition of the slavery that gave rise to it. But the direction of causation was the direct opposite of what is assumed by those who depict the enslavement of Africans as being a result of racism. Nevertheless, racism became one of the enduring legacies of slavery. How much of it continues to endure and in what strength today is something that can be examined and debated. But many other things that are considered to be legacies of slavery can be tested empirically, rather than being accepted as foregone conclusions.
Mr. Sowell, Economic Facts and Fallacies

Why would deaths and hospitalizations be decoupled from cases for the vaccinated only, when the survival rate was above 98% plus pre-vax? It's not stupid. It's tyranny.
Are you getting the 98% from this source, or similar?

I ask because, obv. a survival rate of 98% sounds great, but based on that it still means 4 million dead. So if vaccines can move the needle to a survival rate of 98.5% or 99% or 99.5%, you are talking about millions of lives.

To me, 98% sounds great, but saving millions of lives sounds better.

Thread. The UK is now nearing the winter wave peak and may even surpass that. The data out of Israel seems to confirm that the vaccines aren't perfect at stopping infections. Most of the infections are occurring in the vaccinated. The idea that the vaccine---> magically make this go away is over. It's time for a serious discussion for what an off ramp looks like. Either perpetual lockdowns for the next several years (knowing that you'll have to cope with the Australia-style lockdown fatigue...some areas are on their 5th lockdown) while we focus on boosters trying to race against ever evolving variants or we do what the UK is trying (knowing that when you remove the restrictions there will be some deaths) and learn to live with it.

Back