Bad News Thread

-Mandatory Vaccines?
-Lockdown again?
-Reduce other medical care to make room?

I don’t think there is a fifth option.
Never!!! You will have to find me and then catch me before I ever take those shots. GFUUPOD!!!!

I don’t get the multi-avatar assumptions in this thread or the motivation to do so, if that is a thing outside of Crush or some banned persona.. I am likely wrong given the consensus of accusations.

To your hypothetical delta intervention question, I think you need to rework your model given to the vaccination rate and which vaccinations have been used/protocols followed (emphasize a two dose regimen).

How then are the hospitals being overun with this variant, thus requiring the proposed interventions?
Delta is growing in the US now, despite current immunity levels. So, a 70%-75% immunity level is not quite enough, even in summer. (Getting to 70-75 by combining natural and vaccine immunity.)

The big unknown is how many people are able to get Delta. Delta has some ability to reinfect people who have natural immunity. We just don’t know how often it happens.

If natural immunity is 90% effective against Delta, we are mostly fine. If natural immunity is 35% effective against Delta, we have a problem.

Delta is growing in the US now, despite current immunity levels. So, a 70%-75% immunity level is not quite enough, even in summer. (Getting to 70-75 by combining natural and vaccine immunity.)

The big unknown is how many people are able to get Delta. Delta has some ability to reinfect people who have natural immunity. We just don’t know how often it happens.

If natural immunity is 90% effective against Delta, we are mostly fine. If natural immunity is 35% effective against Delta, we have a problem.
Keep grabbing straws dad of 4

1624197083218.png

Agree with his assessment here. Possible if things continue as they are we may even have a summer outbreak particularly in the indoor heavy states by end of summer (just in time for schools to go back). Where we disagree is the prescription...deaths will be equivalent to somewhere between a really bad rsv season-bad flu season. We don’t do npis every time that happens. Unless that’s the plan going forward every bad winter (and I suspect it is his plan because dad4 always ducks the question) I don’t see the need particularly as those people have made their choice.

[QUOTE="dad4, post: 397460, member: 6565" been over this, Grace. It is well established that masks reduce covid transmission from the wearer. It’s pretty much only you and a few right wing politicians still claiming otherwise.

But, if you don’t like masks, how do you think US should respond if it looks like Delta is going to fill hospitals?

-Mandatory Vaccines?
-Lockdown again?
-Reduce other medical care to make room?

I don’t think there is a fifth option. If delta ends up filling beds and we don’t pick one, we get the “reduce other medical care” option.
[/QUOTE]
A. I'm not Grace.

B. I'm not the only one who believes mask are ineffective. Fauci believes this as well. He's not a right wing politician.

C. I have personal experience that taught me that mask are ineffective so I don't have to rely on a politically motivated study.

D. I have family in the medical world who also do not believe these mask are effective.

E. I have a respirator that I occasionally use for work. If you want to use one of those then I will agree that those can be very useful.

F. Since I have been off this forum for nearly a year I have no idea what has been discussed.

G. Just because it's been discussed in here and decided upon in this all knowing forum , has no bearing on real life, especially mine.

Peace out Wez...

Interesting article about the Fauci emails:

-Trump seems to have gotten the idea it would go away from Fauci
-They knew the 2 weeks thing was a lie
-The lockdowns were never about saving hospital capacity (which as we now see from India, Indonesia and the Czech Republic is what they should have been about)
-Fauci didn't understand that the virus spreads through any human contact and that the factories, food production, supermarkets and pharmacies had to keep going. As soon as they lifted the restrictions the R would jump again, so it wasn't possible to get rid of the virus by locking down unless you were going to lockdown in perpetuity until you got a vaccine.

I don’t get the multi-avatar assumptions in this thread or the motivation to do so, if that is a thing outside of Crush or some banned persona.. I am likely wrong given the consensus of accusations.

[/QUOQUOTETorros is an occasional poster. I know of him through a mutual friend, though I don't kmow his identity, he knows who I am. Through our mutual friend Torros let me know that most of the posters on who are active in the off topic area have multiple avatars... some even have three or four. How foes he know? I guess he works for some high tech cyber company. He posted once about how you should use a VPN to post in here to protect yourself. A poster on here once went after Torros and got personal with him... next thing you know Torros asked the guy if the company he worked(he posted the company's name)for knows how he acts online. It made for a quick apology...

BTW... my oldest may have been one of the first hospitalized cases of COVID-19 in the country. In September of 2019 he spent a week at Hoag in NPB.. we lost track of all the test they ran and fun "procedures" they did on him. They told him he had an unknown form of covid. He was never isolated and his fiancé or my wife and I were always in the took with him. At one point there was five of us in the room with all day. No mask. Not even the doctors and nurses. My wife came down with it about a week later...she was the only one who kissed my son.

Anyway I think I'm out again. My wife and family were gone to Texas and I got bored , hence my return. but now everyone is back. Life is good again for me.

So @Hüsker Dü that's how it works. ..

It's starting to heat up again. When cheaters have their backs to the wall they either give up or go out with a bang. I had no idea how deep all this crap went. I know for a FACT people would use fake accounts to "hide" their true self and go off on people they hated or disliked. I was one of the unlucky ones back in the day. People liked to poke at me because I was a little cocky and had a real good player who could score goals when she was 12. Anyway, it got real ugly with a few asshats that PM me. Lawyers with kids in the game and in high places. Threats of all sorts and for sure black listed if I club hop too much I was warned. I have it all. I even have text by liar Doc and his access to this and that with soccer. I think it's about time I leave as well. Some people Pm me and told me they wish I was never adopted and all that evil. Happy Fathers Day to all......

Interesting article about the Fauci emails:

-Trump seems to have gotten the idea it would go away from Fauci
-They knew the 2 weeks thing was a lie
-The lockdowns were never about saving hospital capacity (which as we now see from India, Indonesia and the Czech Republic is what they should have been about)
-Fauci didn't understand that the virus spreads through any human contact and that the factories, food production, supermarkets and pharmacies had to keep going. As soon as they lifted the restrictions the R would jump again, so it wasn't possible to get rid of the virus by locking down unless you were going to lockdown in perpetuity until you got a vaccine.

If you want to see a conspiracy, there is evidence everywhere.

None of it strikes me as convincing. My base assumption is that no one knew much on Mar 02, 2020. This seems far more credible than the article‘s implication that "Fauci knew it all back then, but he lied to us."

None of it strikes me as convincing. My base assumption is that no one knew much on Mar 02, 2020. This seems far more credible than the article‘s implication that "Fauci knew it all back then, but he lied to us."

One thing we have learned in the past year or so is the overwhelming power of confirmation bias.

To be fair, the lie the article pins on fauci is the hospital capacity (and also the 2 weeks but fauci seems to have believed it would be short so unclear how much of a lie this one was). The rest of the article painted fauci as just not having a clue what was happening.

and as for others not knowing, I called it pretty accurately. More accurately than fauci. Even told my kids school they should prepare for a year long shut down but the elementary school might be spared in the fall. I nailed it within a few weeks. Business too. So no it wasn’t impossible to know what would happen.

Nationally, what do you propose if Delta begins to cause crowded hospitals this fall?

Masks seems the least bad option.

The alternatives are lockdowns, mandatory vaccination, and deferral of non-covid medical care.

Which of those do you like better?
It's like asking me what would I do if pigs fly...I'll worry about it when it happens.

Anything that would be proposed that includes any of the above would be met with a ton of resistance. Odds of compliance are is slim to none, which are the same odds of the Delta variant overwhelming hospitals.

It's like asking me what would I do if pigs fly...I'll worry about it when it happens.

Anything that would be proposed that includes any of the above would be met with a ton of resistance. Odds of compliance are is slim to none, which are the same odds of the Delta variant overwhelming hospitals.
Got it. You chose care rationing. Same as last time.

Every other option requires acting before the crisis hits.

Got it. You chose care rationing. Same as last time.

Every other option requires acting before the crisis hits.
Are you factoring in any developments of effective treatments? I mean, we came up with a vaccine that has an 88% effective rate agains these new variants but we can’t come up with an effective treatment?

Back