Bad News Thread

p.s. there's a reason they have people like me (or with differing degrees, such as psychologists, law, finance and even fine arts) look at the comps and make the calls. They've found the numbers people like you are really bad at it. One of my mentor's (the one that gave me my first break) was a wiz at them....had a BA from a no name college somewhere, worked her way up from the secretarial pool in a boys only club industry, and was looked down by the numbers guys that someone like her got to judge their work....she was a great at it (always right).
Says the woman who has been wrong on masks since March and still won't admit it.

Reread your second paragraph. You're still conflating statistical significance with significance.

Statistical significance is not how you measure the strength of a potential correlation. If you want to do that, you need different tools and a much larger study.

You've just accused me of doing the opposite of what you originally accused me of (which is what you were doing to begin with). Seriously dude...words really aren't your strength at all.

And BTW, yes I agree we would need different tools and much larger study. Unfortunately, though this is the one we have, it's not a very great starting point for your argument and as I've established you have the burden of proof given real world circumstances.

Mask mandates everywhere, the world burning around you and you have the tenacity to say that. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

The blue pill is powerful stuff.
Could be the blue pill. Maybe a 5 on BC calc 30 years ago is more important than listening to the people who teach graduate seminars in biostatistical modeling methods.

Or you could be completely out of your depth.

Hard to say, really.

Is it time for you to insult me for being a math teacher again? Or for my reading comprehension? It's kind of like Dostoyevsky predicting the red/black patterns.

Could be the blue pill. Maybe a 5 on BC calc 30 years ago is more important than listening to the people who teach graduate seminars in biostatistical modeling methods.

Or you could be completely out of your depth.

Hard to say, really.

Is it time for you to insult me for being a math teacher again? Or for my reading comprehension? It's kind of like Dostoyevsky predicting the red/black patterns.

It's the blue pill. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. It's funny that the more someone pokes at it in your grasp the hornier you become.

You never did answer why you are ashamed of being a math teacher? I happen to think it's a nobel profession. It just explains why you are sometimes challenged by the verbal aspect of things, much as you've pointed out how much better you are at the math. No shame in it.

The CDC is now recommending masks inside the home in certain circumstances. If someone is infected (makes sense), has a known close contact (hmmm...o.k.), has a potential exposure related to occupation (so wait...supermarket workers who live with other people now are being advised to wear masks 24/7???), or has been in crowded public settings (so wait....anyone on an airplane, bus, subway, or protest is being advised to a wear a mask???? can't see anyone taking advice on this). What do you think dad....good advice?

You never did answer why you are ashamed of being a math teacher? I happen to think it's a nobel profession.
Mathematics is not a Nobel profession. Fields medal. But not the Nobel. Downright discriminatory if you ask me.

But it's the ignoble prize I'd really want.

The CDC is now recommending masks inside the home in certain circumstances. If someone is infected (makes sense), has a known close contact (hmmm...o.k.), has a potential exposure related to occupation (so wait...supermarket workers who live with other people now are being advised to wear masks 24/7???), or has been in crowded public settings (so wait....anyone on an airplane, bus, subway, or protest is being advised to a wear a mask???? can't see anyone taking advice on this). What do you think dad....good advice?

Does the virus know who owns the building?

Makes sense for short term unavoidable exposure, but breaks down for cohabitation.

Then you get beyond what I can follow. Perma masks in the home mean a moderate reduction in viral load over a very long time interval. I haven't seen the research on that, and I would have trouble comprehending it if I did.

It's the blue pill. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. It's funny that the more someone pokes at it in your grasp the hornier you become.

You never did answer why you are ashamed of being a math teacher? I happen to think it's a nobel profession. It just explains why you are sometimes challenged by the verbal aspect of things, much as you've pointed out how much better you are at the math. No shame in it.

He didn't say that he was ashamed to be a math teacher. He pointed out that you were belittling math teachers.

He didn't say that he was ashamed to be a math teacher. He pointed out that you were belittling math teachers.

I have nothing but the highest respect for math teachers. But it does explain quite a bit of his behavior including but not limited to: a. his failure to apply circumstances in the real world, b. his lack of proficiency in the verbal arts, c. the fascination with mathematical constructs, d. his ability to correctly assess my math fluency. e. his tendency to look down on others for math and f. the chip on his shoulders (as teachers tend to view their profession as being underpaid, not very respected, and to not apply the safety discount to their professions value). I'm just as critical of my profession btw and its influences on me (see my post re parade of horribles).

Mathematics is not a Nobel profession. Fields medal. But not the Nobel. Downright discriminatory if you ask me.

But it's the ignoble prize I'd really want.

Bertrand Russell, Max Born, John Fields, and Clive Granger were mathematicians who won Nobel Prizes in Physics and Economics.

I have nothing but the highest respect for math teachers. But it does explain quite a bit of his behavior including but not limited to: a. his failure to apply circumstances in the real world, b. his lack of proficiency in the verbal arts, c. the fascination with mathematical constructs, d. his ability to correctly assess my math fluency. e. his tendency to look down on others for math and f. the chip on his shoulders (as teachers tend to view their profession as being underpaid, not very respected, and to not apply the safety discount to their professions value). I'm just as critical of my profession btw and its influences on me (see my post re parade of horribles).

Interesting spin -- "I have nothing but the highest respect" followed by disrespectful (and unfounded) comments.

Interesting spin -- "I have nothing but the highest respect" followed by disrespectful (and unfounded) comments.

Mind if I borrow this? Next time someone calls all attorneys snakes or makes an attorney joke I'll be sure to pull it out (with proper citation if you insist).

Oh it's a stereotype I admit. Not that all teachers are resentful, or no math teacher ever loved Shakespeare. But like all stereotypes, there's always a grain of truth there. Remember the famous saying?: "Those that can't do, teach."

In any case it's pretty clear he's ashamed of it or at least disappointed by it. If he weren't the normal human reaction would be to deny he's a teacher, or to say oh yeah so what?....I'm a teacher and proud of it.

Back