Asking College Coaches on the Portal

I’ve spoken to many college coaches on their thoughts and approaches to the portal. What have been yours?

Coach Prime took CU from a 1-11 season last year to beating TCU last weekend who was/is ranked #17 in the nation.

The team has almost 80 new players compaired to last season + all came from the transfer portal.

If coaches from every sport aren't watching what Prime's done at CU they're stupid. He's creating a template for others to follow. He's also showing college leadership what's possible if you hire the best. This is guaranteed to bring some heat to coaches that are telling leadership that losses are part of some "7 year plan".

Coach Prime took CU from a 1-11 season last year to beating TCU last weekend who was/is ranked #17 in the nation.

The team has almost 80 new players compaired to last season + all came from the transfer portal.

If coaches from every sport aren't watching what Prime's done at CU they're stupid. He's creating a template for others to follow. He's also showing college leadership what's possible if you hire the best. This is guaranteed to bring some heat to coaches that are telling leadership that losses are part of some "7 year plan".
Here's more detail...

53 from the portal
4+ from his previous college *
2+ from high school *
* Exact numbers aren't listed in the article.

Apply this to Women's soccer and if top teams actually want to win I can see the same type of percentages happening. 80%-90% transfer portal + 10%-20% from high school.

Are Deion and a once-proud (aka good) CU lightening in a bottle, though? Or can anyone just blow up a team, start over, and have quick success?

We will get another look at this at UNC this year. No, not soccer. Not football. Men’s basketball.

Hubert Davis (HD) inherited a Blue Blood. But not one operating on all cylinders. He chose a path similar to Prime. After missing the NCAAT last year, HD gutted the roster. Only 6 players return this year.

Follow along to see what happens…

Here's more detail...

53 from the portal
2+ from high school *

Apply this to Women's soccer and if top teams actually want to win I can see the same type of percentages happening. 80%-90% transfer portal + 10%-20% from high school.

I don’t think this will happen until top teams start losing more players to pros. And I don’t mean players who woulda gone to X university and went pro instead, i.e. Olivia Moultrie and UNC. I mean, a Savy King goes pro after one year at UNC type thing. And not just one player, but 2-3 at a time. If that becomes more normal, then I could see the portal becoming more of a thing for top college programs.

I don’t think this will happen until top teams start losing more players to pros. And I don’t mean players who woulda gone to X university and went pro instead, i.e. Olivia Moultrie and UNC. I mean, a Savy King goes pro after one year at UNC type thing. And not just one player, but 2-3 at a time. If that becomes more normal, then I could see the portal becoming more of a thing for top college programs.
If you watch Prime he's creating a "hype train" to shortcut traditional recruiting.

Imagine if you're a top SEC recruit or Transfer Portal player. Because of all the hype suddenly Colorado is a potential place to play. More important is that players gravitate to Prime/CU vs teams spending time and resources trying to lure talent away from other teams.

The one downside as you mentioned is if Prime continues to hype players through the roof eventually the pros are going to come knocking and he'll lose talent + have to find new.

You're giving him a lot of credit after one 3 point win, buddy.

Here's more detail...

53 from the portal
2+ from high school *

I know someone whose daughter went from the bench with last year P5 team to starter with a top P5 school.

Watch the highlights both CU and TCU were amazing.

A 3 point win or 3 point loss are both a win for CU / Coach Prime. He took a dumpster fire team (1-11) and in eight months has them beating top 20 teams. That's incredible + unprecedented
It's only 1 win., and the "Top 20" position was in the usually-laughable pre-season poll.

A 3 point win or 3 point loss are both a win for CU / Coach Prime. He took a dumpster fire team (1-11) and in eight months has them beating top 20 teams. That's incredible + unprecedented
Coach Prime has his boys ready when it counts, like early in the season. He is my coach of the year at this early stage of the season and his son is the Heisman winner. I'm rooting for UCLA first this year. Were 1-0 but not looking good at all. When Bruins lose, I look for SC to win it all and will root for the Trojans and they look very legit this year, but defense wins championships, and they have holes. If my Bruins and SC lose, I will root for Prime Time to win it all. It's makes for a fun season.

Yeah... it was a fantastic game and a lot of fun to watch. No doubt. I'm just choosing to give it a little more time to see how Neon handles adversity when it hits. Plus, we'll know how good TCU is in another month or two.

Expect to see "accusations" against staff on the rise to justify transfers. Hope I am wrong, but with the direction society has taken in this country....
IDK, this may be a case of “be careful of what you ask for.” I suspect there was a loud vocal group of staff that lobbied the NCAA to restrict transfers. It appears they got their restriction but may have also put a target on their back.

I think if staff accept transfers at face value and freely let them move on, there will not be a problem. However, if staff tries to impede transfers they essentially force players to make/substantiate stronger allegations.

Football is not comparable womens soccer. Colorado football NIL money is in the millions. Schools without donors and NIL money won't be able to compete any more.

The Colorado QB now has the second highest NIL valuation, $3 million, in the country.

Womens soccer isn't NIL based. If any school actual has NIL money in non revenue sports they will win national championships. It's hard enough to get scholarships in soccer. Imagine getting money to play.

Back