Another Hair Beat Controversy

Another controversy is being stirred at AYSO with a girl being asked to take down her hair beads if she wanted to play. Law 4 prohibits the wearing of jewelry as well as anything that is dangerous. AYSO argues that the rule is absolute and includes items in the hair. The counter argument is that a lot of leagues have a lot of exceptions they've drawn up such as stud earrings or even allowing players to player in padded casts. The parents also argue other sports are now making exception for hair beads and it has unique cultural significance. Thoughts? It's becoming more and more of a problem and isn't the only recent incident (see below). It's now happened several times.

Doesn't bother me as long as the player isn't whipping others with their beaded hair.

However it does seem dangerous for the player + could get tangled or hooked up on something + rip the hair out of their head.

Weighted hair seems a safety risk during contested headers. “Bead to the eye” sounds painful and potentially damaging. The rule is reasonable.

Just one more case of people trying to find racism where none exists.

Another controversy is being stirred at AYSO with a girl being asked to take down her hair beads if she wanted to play. Law 4 prohibits the wearing of jewelry as well as anything that is dangerous. AYSO argues that the rule is absolute and includes items in the hair. The counter argument is that a lot of leagues have a lot of exceptions they've drawn up such as stud earrings or even allowing players to player in padded casts. The parents also argue other sports are now making exception for hair beads and it has unique cultural significance. Thoughts? It's becoming more and more of a problem and isn't the only recent incident (see below). It's now happened several times.

It's still jewelry, hair jewelry. You can't wear it on your face, you shouldn't wear it in your hair either. That sure would hurt doing headers, although I don't think many six year old's will be doing that.

Has been the rule for years in AYSO, and other leagues. Safety comes before adornment. People know this going in. That gives them the choice. Beads in the hair or playing soccer. The racism thing is silly. Just because politicians and media does it, doesn't make it valid. Beads are a no.

Weighted hair seems a safety risk during contested headers. “Bead to the eye” sounds painful and potentially damaging. The rule is reasonable.

Just one more case of people trying to find racism where none exists.
Not racism but definitely a cultural misunderstanding that is leading to discrimination. I say this because I see how well intentioned folks that don’t have afro type hair could agree with your rationale which is way off because beads aren’t jewelry.

Beads are what is considered a protective hairstyle for afro type hair. In short, beads protect the ends of afro type hair and substantially reduces breakage so little girls hair won’t break off at the ends because the tight curl pattern of afro type hair is very delicate and prone to breakage.

Why are you being so dismissive and culturally insensitive?

So I have to admit I don't really see a big safety issue with beads. It's really more of an issue (albeit a small one) for the wearer than it is the opponent and only if they have long floppy beads. I'd imagine that getting a bead in the eyeball is not pleasant, but unless it is full Bo Derek, I don't see it as an issue necessary to single out a kid to remove from the game. To me removing the 6 year old in the 3rd link is extreme and an abuse of a ref's power. That's making a mountain out of a molehill. There are rules and then there is common sense. If we're that concerned about injuries get rid of hard plastic cleats and require rubber studded turf style cleats, which are safer for both the wearer and the opponent. The 2nd link talks about a prohibition on beads even for non-contact sports. That's absurd.

I don't find the rule racist, but I do find it a tiny bit discriminatory given the relative low danger of beads and the fact that beaded hair does seem to be cultural. The Williams sister played with long beads and never were a danger to themselves.

1653342132172.png

So I have to admit I don't really see a big safety issue with beads. It's really more of an issue (albeit a small one) for the wearer than it is the opponent and only if they have long floppy beads. I'd imagine that getting a bead in the eyeball is not pleasant, but unless it is full Bo Derek, I don't see it as an issue necessary to single out a kid to remove from the game. To me removing the 6 year old in the 3rd link is extreme and an abuse of a ref's power. That's making a mountain out of a molehill. There are rules and then there is common sense. If we're that concerned about injuries get rid of hard plastic cleats and require rubber studded turf style cleats, which are safer for both the wearer and the opponent. The 2nd link talks about a prohibition on beads even for non-contact sports. That's absurd.

I don't find the rule racist, but I do find it a tiny bit discriminatory given the relative low danger of beads and the fact that beaded hair does seem to be cultural. The Williams sister played with long beads and never were a danger to themselves.

View attachment 13629
Correct. the danger is to the player wearing them. A ball against the head into the beads can cause damage. It's been a rule for a very long time. In very little kids, it might not be that big an issue, except that it is a rule. Exceptions breed more exceptions. That being said, I will say, I have looked the other way in very young games..... But warned that not all referees are as cool as I am.

Correct. the danger is to the player wearing them. A ball against the head into the beads can cause damage. It's been a rule for a very long time. In very little kids, it might not be that big an issue, except that it is a rule. Exceptions breed more exceptions. That being said, I will say, I have looked the other way in very young games..... But warned that not all referees are as cool as I am.
I respectfully submit that the rule is VOID because it’s discriminatory.

View attachment 13629

I'm still not sure where I come out on all this, but I definitely don't like empower the refs with the authority to determine when a bead is big enough as a rule. It doesn't allow the player any comfort for what will be permitted and what won't. Legally, it would require shifting responsibility either to the ref, or the organization hiring the ref (in which case then they need a mechanism to police it), if the ref gets it wrong in either direction. If there's a rule variance, it has to be applied with clear guidance and equitably across the board. The part I don't get is why beads are dangerous, but some refs/leagues allow players with casts (whether hard or soft) to play.

The change can start with you. Now that you know, don’t discriminate and spread the word when you can.
errr....you are calling on refs to ignore league rules (which are supposedly implementing Fifa rules) wholesale....that's not good. Change, if it should/were to happen, should be implemented at either the league, US authority, or Fifa levels.

Again, the rule is about what is safe, not about discriminating. A safe version would be just fine.
That is one way to characterize the rule but it’s not dispositive because there is also the way I am characterizing the discrimination claim. Also discrimination is safety and refs need to keep all players safe. Refs also have a duty to implement the rules in a non discriminatory manner and they are not currently doing so simply because they dig their heels in and scream safety. There’s nothing but speculation and conjecture to support the position that beads are a safety issue. However, Google “beads and protective hairstyles” and look at all of the information that pops up.

That is one way to characterize the rule but it’s not dispositive because there is also the way I am characterizing the discrimination claim. Also discrimination is safety and refs need to keep all players safe. Refs also have a duty to implement the rules in a non discriminatory manner and they are not currently doing so simply because they dig their heels in and scream safety. There’s nothing but speculation and conjecture to support the position that beads are a safety issue. However, Google “beads and protective hairstyles” and look at all of the information that pops up.
I respectfully disagree with your characterization. The safety in play is physical safety. And it's not "discriminatory" in that any child that has hair beads is not allowed. I do see where your argument is coming from. I just disagree.

I respectfully disagree with your characterization. The safety in play is physical safety. And it's not "discriminatory" in that any child that has hair beads is not allowed. I do see where your argument is coming from. I just disagree.
Fair enough. I feel like you are making arbitrary conclusions. I seriously doubt if safety is defined as narrowly as you are suggesting. There is also no evidence to support the conclusion that beads are a physical safety issue-I have only heard speculation and conjecture so far.

Where’s the evidence that beads are a hazard?

Back