After a kid Commits

Footy30

SILVER ELITE
Hi, I have a question... someone asked me this question and I didn't have an answer so I figured I'd turn to you fine people on the soccer board and ask you. When a kid commits to a school their junior or senior year, do they continue to attend the college showcases? I understand a verbal commit is just that and things can change but in general do the kids already committed still attend their ECNL showcases? What has been your experience?

Hi, I have a question... someone asked me this question and I didn't have an answer so I figured I'd turn to you fine people on the soccer board and ask you. When a kid commits to a school their junior or senior year, do they continue to attend the college showcases? I understand a verbal commit is just that and things can change but in general do the kids already committed still attend their ECNL showcases? What has been your experience?

Yes for national events to support their team, mates, club.

Good to have options or backup since college coaches and programs can change every season. Some will honor verbals other might want to revaluate for example.

I'd say wrap them in bubblewrap + pick and choose events very carefully. You don't want your kid to get hurt + potentially the offer rescinded.

Also, if you're kid has already committed relax about minutes + let others play so they can get noticed.

If it's verbal only offer keep playing.

I'd say wrap them in bubblewrap + pick and choose events very carefully. You don't want your kid to get hurt + potentially the offer rescinded.

Also, if you're kid has already committed relax about minutes + let others play so they can get noticed.

If it's verbal only offer keep playing.
We always said no to East Coast showcases up front. Let coach know before you sign and make sure he's good with skipping a few long-distance showcases. I know some parents felt we weren't committed to the team at all costs. I would tell them to go talk with coach about your complaint. We even skipped some league games that had physical danger written all over them. Looking back, I do wish the top starters who were already committed would not start or just sit out in a way that would give glory to the player(s) not signed. Make them look good by giving to them. Make the game about the non-committed player(s). That would have been awesome. I went to one showcase that I still have a hard time believing that even happen but it sucked apples. All the top coaches and what happens? Coach wants to show the other coaches how great of a coach he is and his team is #1 in Da Country, so he show's off with all his stars to look awesome. Girls with full rides get to play the whole game two games in row and girls whose parents spent loads $$$ on gas, stay & play expensive hotel in Scottsdale, huge per diem for coach, and much, much, more, just to come out to Phoenix to watch kid play, only to watch dd on the bench and then getting a few left-over minutes in 7-0 blow away. Ya, that really helps the player who's not committed. I'm with you Carlsbad.

Yes, you play!

In my experience Coaches still come to watch their commits play. Both my DD’s got injured after committing (one soccer related and one not). Neither school balked, but stood behind them, encouraged them and have reinforced their commitment.

Yes, you play!

In my experience Coaches still come to watch their commits play. Both my DD’s got injured after committing (one soccer related and one not). Neither school balked, but stood behind them, encouraged them and have reinforced their commitment.
I'm sorry to hear your daughters got injured but so happy to hear they received support from their schools!! that's great.

Our experience with teammates of our daughter is that no player had a verbal rescinded b/c of injury (including ACL tears). That's anecdotal and I'm sure there are opposite examples (and these included players who were going to P5s and mid-majors).

Our kid continued to play but did miss one cross country showcase b/c it would have been tough due to school. Her team had a lot of commits and all continued to play (with an odd exception here or there for reasons not to do w/their commitments). (She missed one same-coast showcase b/c of YNT camp but the player invited to fill ended up doing well enough to earn an offer and is in her 4th year as a D1 starter)

There are a lot of things that go into it. My DD’s team has 22 on the roster, 11 committed. Kids will miss league games for school visits, and the coach will sit committed kids during ECNL Showcases to get others seen. Personally, I feel the showcases should open up the game rosters above 18. The purpose is to get the kids seen. I also know of other ECNL Clubs that don’t bring their commits, but bring in ECRL Kids instead. It’s a balance between getting the kids placed and making sure the kids are ready for the next level. Not going to make everyone happy. And yes, coaches do want to check in on their recruits. I even know of coaches inviting their recruiting classes to camps so they can work with them together and see where they are, how they are developing.

There are a lot of things that go into it. My DD’s team has 22 on the roster, 11 committed. Kids will miss league games for school visits, and the coach will sit committed kids during ECNL Showcases to get others seen. Personally, I feel the showcases should open up the game rosters above 18. The purpose is to get the kids seen. I also know of other ECNL Clubs that don’t bring their commits, but bring in ECRL Kids instead. It’s a balance between getting the kids placed and making sure the kids are ready for the next level. Not going to make everyone happy. And yes, coaches do want to check in on their recruits. I even know of coaches inviting their recruiting classes to camps so they can work with them together and see where they are, how they are developing.
100%. I would also say we need to mix up these showcases a little and not make the showcases just for college coaches to scout the next best in our country. It would be cool to have a "EURO Showcase" & "Pro Showcase." Let the kids see what other opportunities are across the pond both to play professionally or study at major University. Futbol is loved worldwide. I was even thinking of just mixing up all the players and just pick random teams and let them play. I would 100% make it free and you don't have to stay and play at expensive hotels.

Last edited:

11 committed out of 22, that's fantastic! sitting committed girls to get non committed girls be seen at showcases makes sense to me but I can only imagine the issues that may come up with doing that (or not doing that). Lots of good info thanks everyone for their input. I also agree about opening rosters larger than 18 at showcases, especially since every ECNL team has more than 18 players.

11 committed out of 22, that's fantastic! sitting committed girls to get non committed girls be seen at showcases makes sense to me but I can only imagine the issues that may come up with doing that (or not doing that). Lots of good info thanks everyone for their input. I also agree about opening rosters larger than 18 at showcases, especially since every ECNL team has more than 18 players.
I added up two of my dd top championship teams from old youth days. 33 total players. 32 are in college today. 1 Pro. Last I checked 29 are on college soccer rosters and many of them are having impacts as Fr and Soph.

Learning the hard way the frustration of being the parent of a college soccer player. DD committed in January of her Jr year…coach that recruited her resigned a few months later for another position. She was on the fence for a few weeks about what to do and even spoke to several other schools/coaches…but ultimately, she chose the school (academics) over the soccer program/coaching staff.

Fast forward to her freshman year and just a month in she’s miserable. Coach appears unwilling to make adjustments as the offense is non-existent at this point and although my kid has avg nearly (70) minutes a game….she has just (2) SOGs through five games. She’s lucky to touch the ball more than six times in a game…And never with an opportunity to actually score. It’s extremely frustrating to watch.

I guess my point is that 1. My daughter has realized rather quickly that soccer is equally important to her as the academics. And because the two are not balanced she is finding herself extremely frustrated. 2. As a parent you really are helpless to intervene or do anything. Which was never my MO to begin with… I rarely spoke to any of her coaches and just let the kid play.

A bit of advice would be to provide an ear for your DD to vent and express their frustration… But don’t feed it. And know you have to take a step back completely. Because regardless of the success your DD may have had at the club and/or HS level, that is not always going to be true at the collegiate level.

One occurrence I will share is that at a practice following a game, the head coach had my DD practice with the subs (those that did not play). Splitting the team up into those that played who had a very light practice. While the subs had a full-blown practice that also included suicides, etc.

My DD called me afterwards clearly frustrated. She fully realizes that the head coach is trying to get into her head for one reason or another…But doesn’t understand why she’s being singled out.

I just keep reminding myself that it’s not my life. And that my kid has to go through these experiences for a reason…For the good, the bad, or otherwise

Learning the hard way the frustration of being the parent of a college soccer player. DD committed in January of her Jr year…coach that recruited her resigned a few months later for another position. She was on the fence for a few weeks about what to do and even spoke to several other schools/coaches…but ultimately, she chose the school (academics) over the soccer program/coaching staff.

Fast forward to her freshman year and just a month in she’s miserable. Coach appears unwilling to make adjustments as the offense is non-existent at this point and although my kid has avg nearly (70) minutes a game….she has just (2) SOGs through five games. She’s lucky to touch the ball more than six times in a game…And never with an opportunity to actually score. It’s extremely frustrating to watch.

I guess my point is that 1. My daughter has realized rather quickly that soccer is equally important to her as the academics. And because the two are not balanced she is finding herself extremely frustrated. 2. As a parent you really are helpless to intervene or do anything. Which was never my MO to begin with… I rarely spoke to any of her coaches and just let the kid play.

A bit of advice would be to provide an ear for your DD to vent and express their frustration… But don’t feed it. And know you have to take a step back completely. Because regardless of the success your DD may have had at the club and/or HS level, that is not always going to be true at the collegiate level.

One occurrence I will share is that at a practice following a game, the head coach had my DD practice with the subs (those that did not play). Splitting the team up into those that played who had a very light practice. While the subs had a full-blown practice that also included suicides, etc.

My DD called me afterwards clearly frustrated. She fully realizes that the head coach is trying to get into her head for one reason or another…But doesn’t understand why she’s being singled out.

I just keep reminding myself that it’s not my life. And that my kid has to go through these experiences for a reason…For the good, the bad, or otherwise
It's tough on many players. Sending positive vibes to all the players playing college or pro ball. All I can say is we have some insensitive coaches out there. My #1 concern always for my kids are their mental and physical well-being. It's hard being a parent. I told my kids they can always vent on me and complain to me. I teach the 24-hour rule. Meaning, don't vent or complain to any coach about play time or this and that. They can call me anytime to help with their vent. It's super important that they have someone to vent to that is not their boss or in charge of play time. If they can't vent to dad or mom, they will find a boy that will there with open ears and arms and we all know where that can lead to. Spoke to my pal and his dd wants to quit. Coach tells her every week to leave because she is not the player he recruited when she was 9th grader and he tells her straight up, "You're never going to see the field as long as I'm coach." Dude is not happy with his recruit, and he even has staff be rude and mean to her. They loved her in 9th grade and now they don't love her, and this is a time in her young life where she needs love & support. My pal is super good dad and tells her to come home if she has to. It's lonely out there for some and when coach is a dick, it can make life hard for our kids.

Loaded question. It really depends on your kids situation. Be in contact with the college coach and ask if they will be there. If they are, ask if they want to see them play again. Some do, some don't. What's the scholarship offer? All athletic, scholastic or combo? The school my DD played at told her that they could offer her more $$ if she raised her test scores so she skipped a HS tournament to retake her test. Also, if your kid has any ambitions on playing a second sport reach out to that coach as well. Mine reached out to the track coach who was willing to give her additional $$ if she wanted to run track too.

In the end her college coach advised her to keep playing but there was no need to travel to any big tournaments.

Ugh, that sounds frustrating for you daughter. You give great advice on how to handle this situation especially not feeding into it (which can be tough for me sometimes when my kids vent). I hope your daughters situation gets better, she's lucky to have you as a support system. Glad she's keeping her head up, sounds like the coach has issues. Praying it gets better for her soon.

Interesting way of looking at things! Maybe it’s cultural but I don’t see things how you do. You essentially stated if your daughter reaches out to you because she is being psychologically abused by people and systems substantially more experienced than her who’ve been entrusted to nurture and develop her…that you “I keep reminding myself that it’s not my life.”

Where I’m from, your position is considered neglect and bad parenting.

So, from your post, I gather psychological abuse is culturally acceptable where you are from. In your culture, would physical abuse be okay too?
1694206180756.gif

Interesting way of looking at things! Maybe it’s cultural but I don’t see things how you do. You essentially stated if your daughter reaches out to you because she is being psychologically abused by people and systems substantially more experienced than her who’ve been entrusted to nurture and develop her…that you “I keep reminding myself that it’s not my life.”

Where I’m from, your position is considered neglect and bad parenting.

So, from your post, I gather psychological abuse is culturally acceptable where you are from. In your culture, would physical abuse be okay too?
View attachment 18035

I appreciate your feedback…

Back