Adjusted Offer…..

Wow…got a text from a friend of mine telling me the school his 2024 daughter committed to is adjusting their offer…. This is right before signing day. It’s not a huge adjustment, but is raising all kinds of flags for the family.

They understand it is a business, but this is the ugly side of this. He said they said they are reallocating to bring additional players to make the roster stronger - Prep for the Transfer Portal???

I have heard rumors that this happens, but thought it was really rare and more often to happen after coaching changes, etc., which is not the case. Could be the coach is getting pushed by the AD to get better results???

Sucks for the family as the DD was so excited, and this has taken the shine off. She committed early and has not been texting, calling. emailing other coaches, etc. since she is already committed. They committed August last year. They feel stuck.

Just curious if anybody has dealt with something like this?

My DD is a 2025 and is committed and makes me wonder if we should be hedging the commitment, it’s pretty crazy. But that raises all kinds of flags if that gets out.

Wow…got a text from a friend of mine telling me the school his 2024 daughter committed to is adjusting their offer…. This is right before signing day. It’s not a huge adjustment, but is raising all kinds of flags for the family.

They understand it is a business, but this is the ugly side of this. He said they said they are reallocating to bring additional players to make the roster stronger - Prep for the Transfer Portal???

I have heard rumors that this happens, but thought it was really rare and more often to happen after coaching changes, etc., which is not the case. Could be the coach is getting pushed by the AD to get better results???

Sucks for the family as the DD was so excited, and this has taken the shine off. She committed early and has not been texting, calling. emailing other coaches, etc. since she is already committed. They committed August last year. They feel stuck.

My DD is a 2025 and is committed and makes me wonder if we should be hedging the commitment, it’s pretty crazy. But that raises all kinds of flags if that gets out.
Until you get that contract in front of you, signed by the schools AD and head coach, nothing is set in stone. It is also possible verbal offers can be misconstrued by players and parents. They might think full ride but it was full tuition, not including books or room and board. I was sweating up until she received her email last year that had the contract attached.

Hopefully the amount of money isn't the only reason players choose a school. Could be a good college they liked, strong program for their major, chance for playing time as a freshman, etc.

1698865505852.png

Until you get that contract in front of you, signed by the schools AD and head coach, nothing is set in stone. It is also possible verbal offers can be misconstrued by players and parents. They might think full ride but it was full tuition, not including books or room and board. I was sweating up until she received her email last year that had the contract attached.

Hopefully the amount of money isn't the only reason players choose a school. Could be a good college they liked, strong program for their major, chance for playing time as a freshman, etc.
Verbal contract is a contract. It's just hard to prove because coaches lie all the time. Not all, but this is 100% a big fat red flag. It's bullshit really.

Red flags for sure. The fact that the school is openly acknowledging that they are "reallocating" indicates that they know what they are doing and it is definitely NOT a matter of the kid or family misunderstanding the initial offer. Reading between the lines, they have an opportunity to bring in a player or player(s) that they think will be stronger and so they're not worried about pissing off the comittments they already have. Likely a proven player through the portal, based on this timing. Sucks, for sure. I'd be willing to bet that this will be more common than in past years precisely because of the portal. The flip side is that the portal cuts both ways. My advice to all college players is to always keep an eye out for other school options, no matter where you are in your eligibilty: have your plan B already in mind. Things change so rapidly with coaching changes and portal transfers both in and out, on top of the never ending stream of freshman commits that you never know when your dream scenario is going to flip into a nightmare. Even without the offer bait and switch, I can tell you plenty of stories of how players arrived freshman year thinking one way about a program and were having to create options for themselves after one season... or one month.

But if she's determined, she can always use this as fuel to motivate her to out-work everyone else and prove her worth. And if she does, they may restore whatever scholarship money she missed out on for next year. If she does and they still don't recognize their mistake, buh-bye!

Seems like this might apply...
This is for cases where the school cuts their own scholarship amount in response to a private grant being given. Unfortunately, I don't think the kid in this scenario above is protected.

Did the Coach give the offer in an email or was it all verbal? Most offers are written down with all the specifics of the scholarship...Sometimes it's the parents that are BS'ing about the amount and specifics of the scholarship.

Verbal contract is a contract. It's just hard to prove because coaches lie all the time. Not all, but this is 100% a big fat red flag. It's bullshit really.
That works both ways when you consider how many kids switch schools after verbally committing. Two things, I told my daughter if she says yes to the verbal offer she isn't switching schools, plus I was nervous until she got the actual contract (I wasn't there when daughter and wife accepted the offer).

Did the Coach give the offer in an email or was it all verbal? Most offers are written down with all the specifics of the scholarship...Sometimes it's the parents that are BS'ing about the amount and specifics of the scholarship.
Now that you mention it, my daughter did receive a text/email verifying the offer long before signing day. Is that pretty common?

That works both ways when you consider how many kids switch schools after verbally committing. Two things, I told my daughter if she says yes to the verbal offer she isn't switching schools, plus I was nervous until she got the actual contract (I wasn't there when daughter and wife accepted the offer).
100%. Two things: I told my dd to live her life however she wants, and she can change her verbals. I'm just here for advice and protection. I had a pal that made a verbal commitment to marry his girl. Well, things got nasty, and he broke off the verbal promise to marry her. I do believe if a coach offers 50% off verbally, he/she/they should honor that, moo!

Now that you mention it, my daughter did receive a text/email verifying the offer long before signing day. Is that pretty common?
That's pretty much how it works...My daughter received her offer via email with all the specifics broken down to every penny. Why would anyone commit to something without knowing all the specifics. Most people think scholarship offers are all 100% deals. For those that do, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Keep in mind, most schools have players in mind when that scholarship window opens and they are willing to offer more to that player.

It’s a “verbal” because it’s only allowed to be verbal. It can’t be put in writing until signing day. So I would say no, that is not common. The first time we saw the offer in writing was the morning of signing day when we received the contract. My DD’s coach followed every rule. He was upfront and honest about anything we asked.We also checked with another player on the team before committing who told us that in their experience the coach did do everything he said he would. All of those things helped reassure us. I would be wary of any coach who isn’t truthful in some part of your dealings, breaks recruiting rules, etc. There are lots of wonderful coaches, but unfortunately there are also a lot of less than stellar character individuals coaching too.

My dd was "offered" a few verbal full rides in 8th grade but she had to email the coaches. I told her she was too young and let's wait to see what YOU want in life when you're a Jr or Sr in high school. She also got a verbal full ride +++ from a top coach her Senior year. My wife and I heard the call and my dd was so happy and felt wanted by coach. However, the verbal was taken off the virtual table from coach because she said no to the _ _ _ _!!!:eek:

My dd was "offered" a few verbal full rides in 8th grade but she had to email the coaches. I told her she was too young and let's wait to see what YOU want in life when you're a Jr or Sr in high school. She also got a verbal full ride +++ from a top coach her Senior year. My wife and I heard the call and my dd was so happy and felt wanted by coach. However, the verbal was taken off the virtual table from coach because she said no to the _ _ _ _!!!:eek:
what do the dashes represent?

Nope. You only get two more guesses then I'll let someone else guess. A prize for the right guess;)
Mandatory shots? My kid was about to register second quarter classes and is missing one of her shots. :p Got an appointment and she won't miss registration.

Mandatory shots? My kid was about to register second quarter classes and is missing one of her shots. :p Got an appointment and she won't miss registration.
Nope. That is is way too many letters bro. 4 letters to guess the correct word. Two more tries.

Back