2023-24 Season

So, here is what my opinion is of what I saw. ECNL Teams played soft and were rusty. The RL teams came hungry and played with passion. You could tell which teams took lots of time off and lost some intensity and mojo. I don't see a big difference in skills and/or performance between the good RL Teams and even good ECNL Teams if I'm being honest. I truly see a difference in the passion from being RL vs ECNL with having to prove themselves or to want to get to ECNL. The RL Teams and other non-ecnl teams were just hungrier from what I saw.

Some of the teams like Slammers RL were finishing well while some ECNL Teams were struggling to finish. The goals seemed a little lower in height vs. normal ECNL Goals too. I saw a ton of shots just wide, over, or straight to the goalie.

Soccer can be a struggle where one team controls and outplays another, but can't score, so it ends in a tie or loss. Some girls haven't skipped a beat since the end of ECNL League and some girls are still searching for that spark. My question is what's more important. The next 2 months mean nothing for ECNL League, so maybe it's best to let them slowly get back into it. Frustrating to watch, but why peak during a break?

This is a journey, so I'm trying not to get worked up with mediocre play from my daughter right now, but I'm failing miserably. We have winter league and then back to real league. Real league is what matters, so maybe slow and low until then is the way to play this? I see a lot of girls and parents doing a lot right now and so long as the girls stay strong til the end of real league, it's good, but if they start wandering or slipping from the long sprint, they may be peaking early? I don't know yet, but I start encouraging my kid when it counts.

Her team has issues that they need to work on before real league, so we are moving players around and slowly working on some of them right now. I don't think I would want to go to Las Vegas Cup as an ECNL Team. It just feels like The ECNL Teams take too much time off and go in too soft for that far of a tournament when we could just have friendlies against the same teams at home.

Next year will be interesting though! Which kids dominate their positions and finish strong with what ECNL Coaches want to see and then will many girls want other coaches or more wins, etc.

I'd really like some input on how to keep girls engaged and inspired to win/perform well in soccer as they age. As they get older and wiser, they know where they are heading and/or if they enjoy it. We learn as we go!
The rusty explanation would apply to most of the teams regardless of ECNL/ECRL/GA/DPL. They all have been taking a break from league games but still training as a team (minus the holidays).

Regarding the RL performance versus ECNL teams, it should serve as an early warning for some ECNL players that assume that they are better than RL players. Reality is that ECNL players that coast and do not work outside of team trainings will stagnate and RL players will catch up and replace them. Better to get an early warning than to realize it when it's too late. I think ECRL players are hungrier and play/train with a chip on their shoulder.

Regarding keeping the girls engaged I think you have a good outlook for your player knowing that it's a long sprint. Find opportunities to play outside their club team...club becomes a grind playing with and against the same players year in and out. For my 09 daughter I had her start playing in my men's pick up games and she loves it. She is also enjoying her first year of high school soccer and getting a ton of support from upper classmen. From U13 to U15 the focus has shifted to college with big recruiting year coming up so that may help with refocusing. Keep encouraging your player, don't worry about results, focus on development and enjoy it while it lasts as it will be over soon.

The rusty explanation would apply to most of the teams regardless of ECNL/ECRL/GA/DPL. They all have been taking a break from league games but still training as a team (minus the holidays).

Regarding the RL performance versus ECNL teams, it should serve as an early warning for some ECNL players that assume that they are better than RL players. Reality is that ECNL players that coast and do not work outside of team trainings will stagnate and RL players will catch up and replace them. Better to get an early warning than to realize it when it's too late. I think ECRL players are hungrier and play/train with a chip on their shoulder.

Regarding keeping the girls engaged I think you have a good outlook for your player knowing that it's a long sprint. Find opportunities to play outside their club team...club becomes a grind playing with and against the same players year in and out. For my 09 daughter I had her start playing in my men's pick up games and she loves it. She is also enjoying her first year of high school soccer and getting a ton of support from upper classmen. From U13 to U15 the focus has shifted to college with big recruiting year coming up so that may help with refocusing. Keep encouraging your player, don't worry about results, focus on development and enjoy it while it lasts as it will be over soon.
Agree. It's been known for a few years now the 2011s have a bright future. Although teams did take a month off during Christmas you cannot anticipate to participate on a tournament in January and expect top results. Coaches, players and parents should be prepared for moments like this. It seems to me the RL teams continued team practices or private training during the breaks. Blues RL, Beach RL and Slammers RL are stacked with ballers who are hungry and in my opinion can replace plenty of ECNL players. Next year should be interesting for club movements.

@way up as @Carlsbad7 said, no hard feelings my man but your emotions did get the best of you. After reading your novel I can only assume your DD plays for either Beach NL, Slammers NL or Legends NL. From congratulating the winner to blaming the coach, players for missing shots, size/width of goals, weather, guest players and taking a break for the holidays it seems to me that you my man are a little bothered by your teams performance. BTW I love your novels. No need to stress because you still have time before league starts.

ENCL had games this weekend. Does anyone have any updates on the scores? My DDs game was canceled last minute due to the rain.

Agree. It's been known for a few years now the 2011s have a bright future. Although teams did take a month off during Christmas you cannot anticipate to participate on a tournament in January and expect top results. Coaches, players and parents should be prepared for moments like this. It seems to me the RL teams continued team practices or private training during the breaks. Blues RL, Beach RL and Slammers RL are stacked with ballers who are hungry and in my opinion can replace plenty of ECNL players. Next year should be interesting for club movements.

@way up as @Carlsbad7 said, no hard feelings my man but your emotions did get the best of you. After reading your novel I can only assume your DD plays for either Beach NL, Slammers NL or Legends NL. From congratulating the winner to blaming the coach, players for missing shots, size/width of goals, weather, guest players and taking a break for the holidays it seems to me that you my man are a little bothered by your teams performance. BTW I love your novels. No need to stress because you still have time before league starts.

ENCL had games this weekend. Does anyone have any updates on the scores? My DDs game was canceled last minute due to the rain.
Just one correction. I never blamed any coaches. I just didn't see any real advantage from the rl coaching. At the end of the day, the players finish or they don't and in soccer, you get a few good opportunities. So many games can go either way and a certain amount of luck is involved too, but ganas can can be that difference that gives you more good luck.

One might say that I am quite jealous that some teams were able to finish, but that's soccer and this is my therapy. I use this forum to gain from the experience of people and I am still learning how to be a soccer parent that flows with the ups and downs of this club soccer experience.

I've discussed with Crush and Carlsbad before the reality of women's soccer too. There are no big rewards for pro women soccer players. I've joked how you can make as much working at Starbucks vs being a women's pro player, so after doing the math on rewards vs. time and risk, is it even worth it? Only if your dd loves this game it is imo and only if she has the ganas to want to win or play hard. I really don't push my girl hard, because the home run is a college scholarship that she could probably earn with a job vs playing soccer in high school. The thing that drives us most is reputation, her love to play, and ganas to stay ahead of the pack. Ganas is it, because the rewards don't offer much for girls soccer!

I know several of the players and parents on all of the teams you mentioned btw, so I'm close to the environment and don't want to offend and/or disregard how well the rl teams did.

I'm really just trying to point out how close the player skills are between rl and ecnl at this age especially with those mentioned teams. I"m also coming to grips that ecnl teams and coaches do things differently than what I'm used to. Probably for the better good, but there is no way around not letting my emotions getting to me after my experience this vegas cup! LOL! I am part of a crowd that only cares about the scoreboard and because we compete against each other, I can't expose much more.

Uuuuugh, like I said, this is my therapy! The crap we do for our girls!

Just one correction. I never blamed any coaches. I just didn't see any real advantage from the rl coaching. At the end of the day, the players finish or they don't and in soccer, you get a few good opportunities. So many games can go either way and a certain amount of luck is involved too, but ganas can can be that difference that gives you more good luck.

One might say that I am quite jealous that some teams were able to finish, but that's soccer and this is my therapy. I use this forum to gain from the experience of people and I am still learning how to be a soccer parent that flows with the ups and downs of this club soccer experience.

I've discussed with Crush and Carlsbad before the reality of women's soccer too. There are no big rewards for pro women soccer players. I've joked how you can make as much working at Starbucks vs being a women's pro player, so after doing the math on rewards vs. time and risk, is it even worth it? Only if your dd loves this game it is imo and only if she has the ganas to want to win or play hard. I really don't push my girl hard, because the home run is a college scholarship that she could probably earn with a job vs playing soccer in high school. The thing that drives us most is reputation, her love to play, and ganas to stay ahead of the pack. Ganas is it, because the rewards don't offer much for girls soccer!

I know several of the players and parents on all of the teams you mentioned btw, so I'm close to the environment and don't want to offend and/or disregard how well the rl teams did.

I'm really just trying to point out how close the player skills are between rl and ecnl at this age especially with those mentioned teams. I"m also coming to grips that ecnl teams and coaches do things differently than what I'm used to. Probably for the better good, but there is no way around not letting my emotions getting to me after my experience this vegas cup! LOL! I am part of a crowd that only cares about the scoreboard and because we compete against each other, I can't expose much more.

Just to be clear I 100% support women that want to play professionally.

NWSL top contracts right now are 400k+ a year. Add in all the endorsement opportunities and playing women's soccer professionally can be very lucrative.

Even after top women's players retire they can get involved with youth and college teams and clubs at the leadership level which also pays very well.

You're right, you did not mention the coach. I had to go back and re-read your previous post. Sorry

The conversation regarding Women's soccer is a whole other subject and tbh I'm not ready for that. IF my DD continues to play I can only hope that a good scholarship approaches. I never attended college but I would love for my daughters to attend and not only focus on soccer but focus on a degree that can help her career grow after soccer life.

You hit the nail on the head with that one! As painful as it maybe to agree with you I must say this is my therapy as well. We might need help I must admit lol. It's funny to think we might know each other because I as well have friends with those same clubs. Should we become soccer dad soulmates? lol. If you make nationals, send me a PM. I'll meet you at the local bar for a drink (on me).

Just to be clear I 100% support women that want to play professionally.

NWSL top contracts right now are 400k+ a year. Add in all the endorsement opportunities and playing women's soccer professionally can be very lucrative.

Even after top women's players retire they can get involved with youth and college teams and clubs at the leadership level which also pays very well.
I just read that the avg nwsl salary is $65k per year, so sure, the very top can make decent money, but the bulk are more likely working their tails off for Starbuck Wages. If you have a USWNT Daughter on your hand, she can make nearly doctors wages, but the rest won't. Better off to be a scientist, doctor, or maybe even a plumber?

I just read that the avg nwsl salary is $65k per year, so sure, the very top can make decent money, but the bulk are more likely working their tails off for Starbuck Wages. If you have a USWNT Daughter on your hand, she can make nearly doctors wages, but the rest won't. Better off to be a scientist, doctor, or maybe even a plumber?
NWSL increased its salary cap to $2.75 million in 2024 and is also working to phase out allocation money which means more real $$$ for players.

2750000/18 players = 153k per player if you break it out evenly
2750000/24 players = 115k per player if you break it out evenly

Obviously, nobody is splitting things out evenly which means the lower end of the team is likely making 65k, but the higher end is making 400k per year. If you add in endorsements, most clubs will provide players meal plans, all clothes and general day to day is covered, 65k is not bad. Even if you're making the minimum, it's enough to let players 100% focus on how they play on the field. Take advantage of the opportunity and if you're lucky there might be opportunities to earn more. It's not a bad life for a female under 24 years old and it has significant potential upside.

NWSL increased its salary cap to $2.75 million in 2024 and is also working to phase out allocation money which means more real $$$ for players.

2750000/18 players = 153k per player if you break it out evenly
2750000/24 players = 115k per player if you break it out evenly

Obviously, nobody is splitting things out evenly which means the lower end of the team is likely making 65k, but the higher end is making 400k per year. If you add in endorsements, most clubs will provide players meal plans, all clothes and general day to day is covered, 65k is not bad. Even if you're making the minimum, it's enough to let players 100% focus on how they play on the field. Take advantage of the opportunity and if you're lucky there might be opportunities to earn more. It's not a bad life for a female under 24 years old and it has significant potential upside.

Problem is those are the years a young woman builds a career in something. Teachers can have summers off, loads of holidays, and a pension, make more money per year and not have to stress about play time and/or not making the team every year. They also leverage up in pay every year, so the longer they work, the more they get paid. To give up college for pros, could be extremely costly.

I'd prefer my daughter became a laywer, doctor, pharmaceutical sales, computer programmer, etc. for her sake. Selfishly, I would love to watch her play soccer wherever she goes, but I'm good at math and don't lie to my kids.

Making 400k per year for 6 years and giving up these important education years may not equal out in the end. I'd much rather her get a professional degree unless she just loved the sport. It would be up to her, but the bulk of NWSL Players make Starbuck Wages and they have to move and stress about staying at that level. That is chump change for the amount of stress and pressure they have. They have to love the sport and the competion and have a tremendous amount of luck to avoid injury as well.

Problem is those are the years a young woman builds a career in something. Teachers can have summers off, loads of holidays, and a pension, make more money per year and not have to stress about play time and/or not making the team every year. They also leverage up in pay every year, so the longer they work, the more they get paid. To give up college for pros, could be extremely costly.

I'd prefer my daughter became a laywer, doctor, pharmaceutical sales, computer programmer, etc. for her sake. Selfishly, I would love to watch her play soccer wherever she goes, but I'm good at math and don't lie to my kids.

Making 400k per year for 6 years and giving up these important education years may not equal out in the end. I'd much rather her get a professional degree unless she just loved the sport. It would be up to her, but the bulk of NWSL Players make Starbuck Wages and they have to move and stress about staying at that level. That is chump change for the amount of stress and pressure they have. They have to love the sport and the competion and have a tremendous amount of luck to avoid injury as well.
It's always interesting to me when parents go crazy to compete at the highest level of youth soccer. But then say that playing professionally isn't worth it.

If you're planning to use soccer as a way to get your kid into college that's fine. However if this is your plan wouldn't it make sense to support younger players playing professionally + skipping college? This way there's less competition for available college scholarships. ;-)

Only if your dd loves this game it is imo and only if she has the ganas to want to win or play hard.
You must love the game to give up college. I will say that the pay is getting better by the day. One of the players my dd played with in high school was the #6 pick and another player from UCLA bailed after two years, just like Sophie Smith did at Stanford. They're not walking away from a degree (they can always do online school) for Starbucks pay, trust me🤑 I like how you write with "emotion" way up. Getting a degree is freaking awesome and playing soccer in college and high school is also amazing. However, the top, top players will now be able to go Pro at 15 or 16 or after high school and that's amazing as well. Basically, soccer is a door opener for many doors. I wish all the players the best by the way, regardless of the league. My sister-in-law has a 2015 that will be looking to showcase soon⚽

Euro Leagues are starting to pay the ladies better as well. The old days of treating girls like second class citizens is over. Yes, more change is needed but the men are starting to wake up. Let's not forget endorsements. Change is finally coming. We all love our daughters and that's what makes the socal soccer forum fun. Word of caution bro. Watch out for the "so-called" friend. I have a few knives in my back from clowns who would smile at my face but then "knife" me as I turned away. The great Tad told me as the girls get older, the parents get nastier. It's cutthroat at the top.

Like you said, you must have love for the game :)

It's always interesting to me when parents go crazy to compete at the highest level of youth soccer. But then say that playing professionally isn't worth it.

If you're planning to use soccer as a way to get your kid into college that's fine. However if this is your plan wouldn't it make sense to support younger players playing professionally + skipping college? This way there's less competition for available college scholarships. ;-)
You think? I was sold Pro for my dd when she was 12 and 13. I joke around, but in all seriousness, if things were like they are today, my kid would have 100% skipped high school to get unto a club that was 100% free with a Pro path. When others were here in 2018, they laughed at me, called me a moron, emotional and learn how to right better, all for saying that the GDA promised us parents' free soccer and mandated all the top clubs to have a fully funded program after year two, with "A" and "B" licensed coaches only. The thought and idea were there with GDA, but they never pulled it off because it's super expensive. It's not right for B team and ECRL players parents to fund the future pros. Now with the NWSL, the clubs will have academies and money to fund the free soccer. All the top clubs in Spain and Euro have academy teams that feed the top team like Real Madrid and the parents don't pay. It's Gratis with Ganas :) That was the carrot with GDA but then the switch o roo came. You will see very soon more pay and free soccer.

You think? I was sold Pro for my dd when she was 12 and 13. I joke around, but in all seriousness, if things were like they are today, my kid would have 100% skipped high school to get unto a club that was 100% free with a Pro path. When others were here in 2018, they laughed at me, called me a moron, emotional and learn how to right better, all for saying that the GDA promised us parents' free soccer and mandated all the top clubs to have a fully funded program after year two, with "A" and "B" licensed coaches only. The thought and idea were there with GDA, but they never pulled it off because it's super expensive. It's not right for B team and ECRL players parents to fund the future pros. Now with the NWSL, the clubs will have academies and money to fund the free soccer. All the top clubs in Spain and Euro have academy teams that feed the top team like Real Madrid and the parents don't pay. It's Gratis with Ganas :) That was the carrot with GDA but then the switch o roo came. You will see very soon more pay and free soccer.
With GDA, the Acadamy model that was being sold was a single funnel to the USWNT.

This time there's 12 (and growing) different potential NWSL Academy funnels. Assuming NWSL puts their weight behind the concept.

With GDA, the Acadamy model that was being sold was a single funnel to the USWNT.

This time there's 12 (and growing) different potential NWSL Academy funnels. Assuming NWSL puts their weight behind the concept.
Oh yes it was. Anyone who got on that 2017 U14 List was set with a full ride in college. $200,000+ deal for your child is not bad. With a degree from Big U, you will make bank. The college recruiting rules hadn't changed yet for the 03's, 04's and 05s in 2017, so 6th graders could sign a "verbal" full ride and they did. I see it all now. The head Training Center Directors (Docs at top clubs) got to pick those players as well. My dd was invited once and no invite again. The head TC Director offered my child 5 candy bars if she was able to secure him another recruits mom's phone# that he was after. I was so pissed off bro and I confronted the Doc. Why? Because it's said in the US Soccer Rule Book that the Training Center was a not a place to recruit other club's players and was 100% against the high standards of the TC and US Soccer. Anyway, Karma has a way to work itself out. I'm still in shock how the game of making "The List" was being played back in the day.

Last edited:

I support any and all girls that want to go pro. I think it would be amazing and I would support my girl for sure. I just don't know if the work and stress is worth it at the end of the day.

I'll never understand why we get so crazy to compete at this age. Ganas maybe! It will totally be up to my girl. I like how you think though. More girls go pro, less competition for college. My math left this out which means even better odds for scholarships.

I hope you are right though that better rewards and transferable skills come from womens pro soccer. I just wish I could tell my girl that if she was to ever get lucky enough to go pro, she could make millions a year. Maybe some can, but not nearly the bulk. Instead, all I have to work with is her natural ganas and hope! It's getting better at least!

I support any and all girls that want to go pro. I think it would be amazing and I would support my girl for sure. I just don't know if the work and stress is worth it at the end of the day.

I'll never understand why we get so crazy to compete at this age. Ganas maybe! It will totally be up to my girl. I like how you think though. More girls go pro, less competition for college. My math left this out which means even better odds for scholarships.

I hope you are right though that better rewards and transferable skills come from womens pro soccer. I just wish I could tell my girl that if she was to ever get lucky enough to go pro, she could make millions a year. Maybe some can, but not nearly the bulk. Instead, all I have to work with is her natural ganas and hope! It's getting better at least!
I know a dd from England that is a good player but way smarter brain. She got into a very nice school in England to study to be a doctor and they have soccer. The risk of ACL alone would make me really sit down with my child and way out the risk vs reward factors. Way too many females are tearing their ACL way up. I 100% agree regarding more opportunities for roster spots at places like Stanford and UCLA. Plus, you can always go Pro when you get your degree. My whole take away is, "Freedom of Choice." You can try Pro and do amazing or tear your ACL and go to college or get a job. Or, go to college, play soccer and then earn a degree and get a killer job. Choices for all.

Need I say more. Jaime is killing it in the NBA and played all four years.

1705882401009.png

I know a dd from England that is a good player but way smarter brain. She got into a very nice school in England to study to be a doctor and they have soccer. The risk of ACL alone would make me really sit down with my child and way out the risk vs reward factors. Way too many females are tearing their ACL way up. I 100% agree regarding more opportunities for roster spots at places like Stanford and UCLA. Plus, you can always go Pro when you get your degree. My whole take away is, "Freedom of Choice." You can try Pro and do amazing or tear your ACL and go to college or get a job. Or, go to college, play soccer and then earn a degree and get a killer job. Choices for all.

Need I say more. Jaime is killing it in the NBA and played all four years.

View attachment 19447

You have so much helpful info. Crush! Have they corelated playing soccer from an early age to those acl injuries at all? I wonder sometimes if I should let her take more time off. We always hear that burn out and injuries will become a factor in high school, but I still can't help, but know the girl still has to be good enough for that to matter. If my dd is not playing college soccer or going pro, who cares if she focuses more on school or other things rather than working her a$$ off and running 15 miles a week? Part of why I'm wishy washy right now about our teams performance at Vegas Cup. The reality is that games don't matter right now in winter.

Good coaches will be working on player development, team strategy, creativity and risk, etc. They will coach and build the team and work on things instead of worrying about the score board. One thing I value in a coach is knowing their plan that you can work on as a team and execute it. Of course, this is coming from a parent that thrives on winning and a girl who has had 5 years of experience winning and losing at times to the very best in 2011. Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can step forward.

They say coaches shouldn't be developing ecnl girls, but please. These kids still whiff the ball or miskick out of bounds, etc. These kids are still very much developing. They still have so much technique and iq to learn. My therapy room helps me put things in perspective. LOL!

You have so much helpful info. Crush! Have they corelated playing soccer from an early age to those acl injuries at all? I wonder sometimes if I should let her take more time off. We always hear that burn out and injuries will become a factor in high school, but I still can't help, but know the girl still has to be good enough for that to matter. If my dd is not playing college soccer or going pro, who cares if she focuses more on school or other things rather than working her a$$ off and running 15 miles a week? Part of why I'm wishy washy right now about our teams performance at Vegas Cup. The reality is that games don't matter right now in winter.

Good coaches will be working on player development, team strategy, creativity and risk, etc. They will coach and build the team and work on things instead of worrying about the score board. One thing I value in a coach is knowing their plan that you can work on as a team and execute it. Of course, this is coming from a parent that thrives on winning and a girl who has had 5 years of experience winning and losing at times to the very best in 2011. Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can step forward.

They say coaches shouldn't be developing ecnl girls, but please. These kids still whiff the ball or miskick out of bounds, etc. These kids are still very much developing. They still have so much technique and iq to learn. My therapy room helps me put things in perspective. LOL!
Rest and then play. So many have theories out there about why so many have had ACL tears. The curse of the turf is one. On my dd U11 State Cup Champs team, one of our top, top players (seriously, she was a beast to deal with) tore her ACL when she was 11. Made a comeback a year later and tore the other one. Sam Mewis just retired because of the tears she had. The other Sam from Australia tore her ACL again, and that sucks. It's for sure an issue and maybe epidemic. For the record, I tore my left ACL playing in an adult basketball league when I was 27. All I did was fake out with my left leg and my left knee snapped. Dumb me, I tried to go back out to save the win and made it worse. That's the ganas in me bro. As the girls get older, weight training the right muscles is important, eating healthy and drink lots of water. Also, when it's that time of the month, maybe sit out I hear. Try telling a true competitor they can't play in the big game because of possible risk to ACL because of blood flow. Not gonna happen unless there is scientific proof.

Last edited:
Back