2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

Anyone know how this will affect student-athletes in the transfer portal?

Pretty sure that all unsigned NLIs (are those used for transfers?) and all financial aid arrangements are null and void so transfers will be on hold. I will try to find support.

Any insight on the USD program? It seems like they should produce better teams than they have over the last ten years given their location and access to local talent.
I agree, it is a beautiful campus. A few years ago they fired the women's coach for something along the lines of "poor treatment of players" but I never heard any details. Since the Catholic Church was in the news at the same time for abuse by preists, it made me wonder exactly what amounted to a firing offense. I would guess they are still in a rebuilding phase. The students I know that go there (not soccer players) like the school. I know one men's player that likes the school and the program but feels that men's D1 soccer is a step down from high level DA. Having watched a few men's games, I agree. Men's college soccer is even more adversely effected by the substitution rules than women's soccer.

Any insight on the USD program? It seems like they should produce better teams than they have over the last ten years given their location and access to local talent.

The school is very expensive. Players who get partial scholarships (as most do) may find the remainder to be out of their price range.

I agree, it is a beautiful campus. A few years ago they fired the women's coach for something along the lines of "poor treatment of players" but I never heard any details. Since the Catholic Church was in the news at the same time for abuse by preists, it made me wonder exactly what amounted to a firing offense. I would guess they are still in a rebuilding phase. The students I know that go there (not soccer players) like the school. I know one men's player that likes the school and the program but feels that men's D1 soccer is a step down from high level DA. Having watched a few men's games, I agree. Men's college soccer is even more adversely effected by the substitution rules than women's soccer.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.
Sorry, but all of the men's D1 soccer games I have seen in person were incredibly direct, ugly soccer. The players were very skilled and displayed incredible athleticism, but the games were like watching tennis. They had lots of subs for fresh legs and were high pressure the entire time. The games were almost a different sport than professional soccer and did little to prepare the players for the professional game.

Sorry, but all of the men's D1 soccer games I have seen in person were incredibly direct, ugly soccer. The players were very skilled and displayed incredible athleticism, but the games were like watching tennis. They had lots of subs for fresh legs and were high pressure the entire time. The games were almost a different sport than professional soccer and did little to prepare the players for the professional game.

Is that the purpose of D1 soccer?

[
No, but it is for many other D1 sports. If NCAA wishes to remain relevant in the soccer world (or become relevant) they should adapt.

On behalf of the NCAA: “we don’t care”. Any college that helps prepare a student for a career as a role player for SJ Quakes or FC Cincinnati has failed them.

I think there's a school just as expensive as USD, called Pepperdine, that collects the best talent in so cal willing to pay the hefty price tag.
USD competes with Loyola for the rest of those types of players.

Up North Santa Clara has a grip on top players. w USF, UOP and SMC getting the scraps.

BYU is cheap. The get most of the stud mormon athletes and hence are always good.

I think there's a school just as expensive as USD, called Pepperdine, that collects the best talent in so cal willing to pay the hefty price tag.

Up North Santa Clara has a grip on top players. w USF, UOP and SMC getting the scraps.

BYU is cheap. The get most of the stud mormon athletes and hence are always good.

According to the colleges' websites, Pepperdine is almost 50% more expensive than USD. I believe there are some Pepperdine parents posting here occasionally. Perhaps they could give us some insight on the finances of scholarships there.

Is that the purpose of D1 soccer?

I watch a lot of UCLA and Stanford women's matches... arguably 2 top programs. Lots of technical ability and, in my opinion, they play about as direct as anybody. Not out of necessity since both can posses and connect 7-8 passes per possession. And not long, over the top balls, but both teams play like the objective is to score 10 goals per match. So where do we draw the line between "attractive soccer" and playing direct?

I'm not sure I agree. You think Santa Clara is taking players away from Cal and Stanford? I don't see that at all... even will Cal's lack of success. But I completely agree about your 2nd part. Poor UOP... location, location, location.

According to the colleges' websites, Pepperdine is almost 50% more expensive than USD. I believe there are some Pepperdine parents posting here occasionally. Perhaps they could give us some insight on the finances of scholarships there.

50%? Aren't they both about $70k? I could see housing being a little tougher in Malibu.

I watch a lot of UCLA and Stanford women's matches... arguably 2 top programs. Lots of technical ability and, in my opinion, they play about as direct as anybody. Not out of necessity since both can posses and connect 7-8 passes per possession. And not long, over the top balls, but both teams play like the objective is to score 10 goals per match. So where do we draw the line between "attractive soccer" and playing direct?

I have said many times here that the coaches who complain about the opponents playing too direct are usually making excuses for a loss.

I have said many times here that the coaches who complain about the opponents playing too direct are usually making excuses for a loss.

from the same coin: about the same percentage of folks say their team plays "possession" and everyone else plays "direct" as the percentage of folks who complain that Joe Buck is pulling for the OTHER team and the percentage of folks who, after a big victory, say, "nobody gave us a chance".

I agree that college women's soccer can be direct, but I was talking about college men's soccer. In the men's games I saw, much of the time it was 3 touches from one end of the field to the other and the ball was in the air a lot. The forwards and outside mids were being subbed every 10 to 15 minutes. I believe that professional soccer in the US will be a viable career path for both men and women in the future. All of the non-professional soccer in the US should be preparing for that day. If the NCAA does not, it will become irrelevant and not be able to get the influx of advertising money it currently gets from pointy ball and basket ball.

I agree that college women's soccer can be direct, but I was talking about college men's soccer. In the men's games I saw, much of the time it was 3 touches from one end of the field to the other and the ball was in the air a lot. The forwards and outside mids were being subbed every 10 to 15 minutes. I believe that professional soccer in the US will be a viable career path for both men and women in the future. All of the non-professional soccer in the US should be preparing for that day. If the NCAA does not, it will become irrelevant and not be able to get the influx of advertising money it currently gets from pointy ball and basket ball.

I hadn't noticed the subbing but agree with your point now that you reminded me it's 'men's'. They do play incredibly fast and direct.

Back