2019 NCAA D1 soccer bracket

West coast action --
UC Davis gets a bye in the first round and then a home game against Louisville or South Florida.
Washington gets a bye and then hosts Boston College* or Yale.
LMU at Seattle, winner goes to Stanford.
UCSB at Cal, then winner to St. Mary's.

*Rumors on the soccer gossip sites say that the BC coach was fired yesterday, but I think they may have him confused with the women's coach.

West coast action --
UC Davis gets a bye in the first round and then a home game against Louisville or South Florida.
Washington gets a bye and then hosts Boston College* or Yale.
LMU at Seattle, winner goes to Stanford.
UCSB at Cal, then winner to St. Mary's.

*Rumors on the soccer gossip sites say that the BC coach was fired yesterday, but I think they may have him confused with the women's coach.

Correction - Cal goes to UCSB. Cal is the lowest-RPI at-large team to get in at #49. The next lowest at-large team is in the mid-30's.

Of course there are several conference winner autobids in the bracket, the lowest being Fairleigh Dickinson at #126.

Correction - Cal goes to UCSB. Cal is the lowest-RPI at-large team to get in at #49. The next lowest at-large team is in the mid-30's.

Of course there are several conference winner autobids in the bracket, the lowest being Fairleigh Dickinson at #126.

Cal won at UCSB 3-0 back in September.

UCSB has a reputation for playing in games with high attendance every year. This year the two top-attendance games in NCAA mens soccer have been Cal Poly at UCSB (9748) and UCSB at Cal Poly (11075 sellout). The first Cal/UCSB game attendance was 1512, but that was before the school year had started. I wonder if the students will turn out for a Thursday night game in November when they can't use their student activity cards.

Results for West Coast teams --

UCSB 3-1 Cal => UCSB on to St Mary's Sunday at 1 PM
Seattle 3-1 LMU => Seattle at Stanford Sunday at 5 PM

UC Davis gets Louisville Sunday at 1 PM, Washington hosts Boston College Sunday at 5 PM

Results for West Coast teams --

UCSB 3-1 Cal => UCSB on to St Mary's Sunday at 1 PM
Seattle 3-1 LMU => Seattle at Stanford Sunday at 5 PM

UC Davis gets Louisville Sunday at 1 PM, Washington hosts Boston College Sunday at 5 PM

After yesterday's West Coast action --
Davis lost 0-1 to Louisville who played a perfect park-the-bus defense, scoring on their only shot on goal - a breakaway after their keeper snagged a high shot in his hands, threw out to a player in the center, who them lobbed the ball over the head of a runner on the right side. Davis outshot them 18-5 and had possession of the ball (however one would rationally define that) most of the game. Louisville is on to Georgetown next week.

Stanford squeaked by Seattle ( 1-1 in the game, 2-1 in 4-1/2 rounds of kicks) and hosts Virginia Tech Sunday.

Boston College waited until they had been eliminated to announce that their long-time coach Ed Kelly was retiring for "personal reasons". Whatever the reasons were, they kept him away from the tournament games, where his assistants handled the duties.

UCSB at Wake Forest yesterday (the whole game) --

Kicks after the match Stanford at Clemson --

Every goal in NCAA quarterfinals (plus one OK save) --

DI semi-finals today starting at 3 PM PST on ESPNU (channeel 370 on Spectrum San Diego).

Georgetown/Stanford
Wake Forest/Virginia

Final result was Georgetown 3-3 Virginia through 110 minutes. The post-game PK circus result was Georgetown 7-6 Virginia in 7 rounds. No shooter was wide of high of the goal, and only the last won was saved.

Highlights video --

Final result was Georgetown 3-3 Virginia through 110 minutes. The post-game PK circus result was Georgetown 7-6 Virginia in 7 rounds. No shooter was wide of high of the goal, and only the last won was saved.

Highlights video --

I watched the last 25 mins or so of regulation through the end of the PKs. I wish there had been a wide angle shot on GT's 3d goal - the scorer certainly looked offsides but w/o that broad angle, it is hard to be definitive. I also wish there were a better reply on the tying goal - exciting chaos in front and, just before it was blasted home, UVA was calling for a handball on the goal line save by the defender (if the ref saw it that way, I'm glad there was not a quick whistle even if UVA would have tied it on the ensuing PK). At times pretty brutal soccer, at times pretty slick (fewer moments of that), but I did enjoy the entertainment.

I watched the last 25 mins or so of regulation through the end of the PKs. I wish there had been a wide angle shot on GT's 3d goal - the scorer certainly looked offsides but w/o that broad angle, it is hard to be definitive. I also wish there were a better reply on the tying goal - exciting chaos in front and, just before it was blasted home, UVA was calling for a handball on the goal line save by the defender (if the ref saw it that way, I'm glad there was not a quick whistle even if UVA would have tied it on the ensuing PK). At times pretty brutal soccer, at times pretty slick (fewer moments of that), but I did enjoy the entertainment.
Better than a 0-0 game decided by kicks.

The whole tournament had 47 games. 5 were decided in first OT, 4 in second OT, 3 went to kicks. There were an unusually high number of goals this year - there were only 3 1-0 games (1 in OT).

Better than a 0-0 game decided by kicks.

I agree with you. I'd like to see no OT in regular season (what's the point of it?) and then a full OT (not golden goal/sudden victory/whatever one wants to call it) in the playoffs. I think teams would get more aggressive in OT if it weren't golden goal (as the parent of a GK, I loathe that as a way to determine the outcome. While PKs are a bit of a gimmick, golden goal allows for a fluke to end the game and that's worse in my mind).

Back