2017 Surf Cup experiences.....

46n2

SILVER ELITE
Had the opportunity to play in SC17 again, my kids and I had a great time. They played extremely well, had a amazing experience.....and so did the parents!

The fields were well maintained , the team competition was pretty decent, overall the event was well organized and we are happy with our results. (Bathrooms need work:cool:)
Parking was a breeze, checked out both venues girls and boys and once again everything was very consistent with each venue.

Team play was tough as it should be after the first two games , that's when the competition really started in the semi's.

Its pretty cool to see my daughter and son play the same kids over and over, were based in So Cal, they've actually made some friends from different teams as well , which is great, honestly its very cool to see kids from different teams hang out between games.....

Id like to hear from other parents regarding the event that attended........

Polo fields were in the best shape I have experienced, the wall of names and photographer were nice additions, and the competition is certainly the best of the best in the west!

Daughter is 2006, played at Oceanside Soccer Complex.

I think that Oceanside Soccer Complex does a great job with the entrance to the fields. For those who don't know, you enter through a tented area with inspirational quotes hung from the rafters, a gift shop with merchandise, and food off to the side. I've told my daughter many times that the difference between good and great is often psychological, and entering through this dark "tunnel" with inspirational quotes that opens up to the fields got me pumped up personally, I don't know about her. So two thumbs up to the organizers for that.

Thought Surf did a nice job. Entrance was inspiring and very cool, appreciated by all. Fields were immaculate. Games were moving along smoothly. Only small complaint is there was no water at one of the games (gatorade only which my DD doesn't like) or bees by the drinks so unable to access - not sure what they could do about that.

George Langevin seemed seriously understaffed - our team had a horde of rabid parents willing to shell out whatever $$ asked of them to get game footage, but no word back from them until we were in the semi- and final game. Have to believe other teams same thing, so someone is missing out on big cash there.

We had a late game on Sunday and one of our players suffered a broken clavicle. Trainers were on it very fast, but after they stabilized her they called the paramedics (player complained of tingling around neck area and slight numbness). However, paramedics took a good 25 minutes to arrive.

Couple of questions, for an event so large shouldn't they have paramedics on site? Our parents were wondering if it would still take that long for an ambulance to arrive if somebody had a heart attack.

Also, our player was transported by helicopter, and one of the reasons why was because of the bumpiness of the parking lot. Pave the whole damn lot!

We had a late game on Sunday and one of our players suffered a broken clavicle. Trainers were on it very fast, but after they stabilized her they called the paramedics (player complained of tingling around neck area and slight numbness). However, paramedics took a good 25 minutes to arrive.

Couple of questions, for an event so large shouldn't they have paramedics on site? Our parents were wondering if it would still take that long for an ambulance to arrive if somebody had a heart attack.

Also, our player was transported by helicopter, and one of the reasons why was because of the bumpiness of the parking lot. Pave the whole damn lot!

NOT defending Surf.

Having paramedic stationed there would require depriving the community for other emergencies. Its a tradeoff of distance vs urgency.

As for Heart Attacks, we were there the weekend before for the older, and I did see AED there. I'm sure the trainers are certified for the use. I was at one time, when I was a local little league board member when my kids were young.

As for paving the road, I'm sure its a lot of money and the question of who pays for it. The county, the city, the land owners, Surf Cup Sports, who? Split the cost you say... lots of debate on who befit the most from that too.

I for one would like to see it paved too.

[QUOTE="Also, our player was transported by helicopter, and one of the reasons why was because of the bumpiness of the parking lot. Pave the whole damn lot![/QUOTE]
Couldn't the ambulance just drive down the middle of the complex parking lot which is paved? Stop incoming traffic, clear the incoming cars and clear one lane on the right at the entrance and it seems like you have the problem solved. For less than the cost of a helicopter flight. Maybe I am just being cheap.

As for paving the road, I'm sure its a lot of money and the question of who pays for it. The county, the city, the land owners, Surf Cup Sports, who? Split the cost you say... lots of debate on who befit the most from that too.

I for one would like to see it paved too.
Who pays for it? Ultimately the consumer or taxpayer, i.e. you and me, will be the ones paying for it. If not via direct parking fees then the paving cost will be recovered through higher facility usage fees, i.e. increased costs to tournament organizers which are passed on via higher entry fees to clubs which are passed on to players/parents. If politically connected groups are able to get the county or city to foot the bill then we'll still bear the costs in our taxes. The fairest approach might be a "paving surcharge" on the parking fee that would be legally dedicated to financing the paving project. Let those who use the parking lot be the ones to pay for paving it.

Who pays for it? Ultimately the consumer or taxpayer, i.e. you and me................If politically connected groups are able to get the county or city to foot the bill then we'll still bear the costs in our taxes...

I was just being rhetorical, but I digress....

Since you've brought up "you and me", and taxes, lets look at the both sides of the coin.

As a non-SD county resident, my property tax, bond measure or assessment fees will not go up at all so I hope the county pays for it...:)

But you get my money in other ways. Lets not forget food and lodging (at times), buying gas and other services purchased while at all the SD club tournaments. The economic benefits are enormous for the region. Directly equates to service jobs and indirect multiplier of the direct jobs. All of these jobs generates taxes as well as additional spending locally.

Really, all I was getting at is paving the polo field parking lot is something these people would argue who should pay for it initially. Its not just the cost of paving, its also getting the roads up to the county standards for safety, environmental impact all other red tape that goes with a project like this.

But now that USSDA has agreed to 5 yr commitment to hold its summer events there, there's hope. Have not seen the details of the agreement but hope paved access is a condition.

Polo Grounds or Oceanside?

I hope your player makes a quick recovery.

My only complaint about both facilities is the dirt parking lots. At least pave the road in, out and around the Polo Fields. They need to also pave the Oceanside complex.

I am surprised no one has had a car wash fundraiser out the exit of both facilities. My car is always a dirty mess by the end of a weekend refereeing at both venues.

Definitely a 1st class event for the most part. Great fields at the Polo grounds, everything ran right on time if not a couple minutes early. The name wall was a really cool addition. Parking wasn't bad at all. CR's were average but there was a number of excellent teen AR's, hopefully they stick with it and move up through the ranks. Solid competition and a fun atmosphere. Can't ask for much more.

My two complaints are the Monday consolation games and the failure to provide 3 balls at each field. I really can't blame Surf for trying to make some extra bucks for requiring a Sunday night stay over for out-of-town teams but there is no excuse for a tournament of that stature and cost to not provide enough balls. Balls going out on the endline caused numerous delays in the game. I do understand some fields had two balls but the extra had to be kept at the bench and I only saw the 2nd ball put into play a couple of times all weekend.

Definitely a 1st class event for the most part. Great fields at the Polo grounds, everything ran right on time if not a couple minutes early. The name wall was a really cool addition. Parking wasn't bad at all. CR's were average but there was a number of excellent teen AR's, hopefully they stick with it and move up through the ranks. Solid competition and a fun atmosphere. Can't ask for much more.

My two complaints are the Monday consolation games and the failure to provide 3 balls at each field. I really can't blame Surf for trying to make some extra bucks for requiring a Sunday night stay over for out-of-town teams but there is no excuse for a tournament of that stature and cost to not provide enough balls. Balls going out on the endline caused numerous delays in the game. I do understand some fields had two balls but the extra had to be kept at the bench and I only saw the 2nd ball put into play a couple of times all weekend.

How many tournaments you know provide even 1 ball? Specially $150 ball?

Provide or allow for 3 balls, most tournaments. I couldn't care less that the ball cost $150, do you think most kids can tell or care about the difference between a $150 and a $35 ball? All day long I would rather have 3 $5o balls. The impact on play is much more dramatic with one ball than the neglible difference in performance of a $50 ball and a $150 ball.

I hope your player makes a quick recovery.

My only complaint about both facilities is the dirt parking lots. At least pave the road in, out and around the Polo Fields. They need to also pave the Oceanside complex.

I am surprised no one has had a car wash fundraiser out the exit of both facilities. My car is always a dirty mess by the end of a weekend refereeing at both venues.
Instead of a meal ticket you should ask for a soapy joe's ticket. i like the parking at polo better now, with parking all around the fields. there are lots of "issues" that would go along with paving the driveway and/or lots. the cost to get the actual work accomplished is just the tip of the iceberg.

My son played at the polo fields and they had the $35 balls...and they didn't let us use the 2nd one. When the ball rolled into the parking lot far away, refs said as long as the ball was not lost/in sight, we couldn't use the 2nd ball. Defeats the purpose. I paid for a few balls paying for parking in both fields for two cars.

My son played at the polo fields and they had the $35 balls...and they didn't let us use the 2nd one. When the ball rolled into the parking lot far away, refs said as long as the ball was not lost/in sight, we couldn't use the 2nd ball. Defeats the purpose. I paid for a few balls paying for parking in both fields for two cars.

The EPL plays with one ball...... maybe you could have run and got the ball. especially when your team needed it.

and, if we are told to use one ball by a tournament, then we use one ball. if you ever put on a tournament, you can tell the refs to use ten balls. surf cup, along with some other tournaments, tell us to use one.

The EPL plays with one ball...... maybe you could have run and got the ball. especially when your team needed it.

and, if we are told to use one ball by a tournament, then we use one ball. if you ever put on a tournament, you can tell the refs to use ten balls. surf cup, along with some other tournaments, tell us to use one.

Is there a reason for this?

The reason this happens is they hold the refs responsible for the balls. Why would I let another ball in play and lose track of the one ball if I run the risk on being held responsible for the balls? I don't know what being responsible means; however I am not interested in learning by experience. I left the 2nd ball in my bag all weekend so it didn't get lost

Back