2004 ODP LIST

I don't know about that. There are tons of kids at $200 per, it can add up real fast.
You can try to figure out their costs for fields, scouts, and coaches to see if someone is getting rich off this, but it's probably quicker to say that if someone is trying to make money off Cal South's ODP program, they aren't very good at the making $$ part. They could charge three times as much and get the same number of players and they could charge four times as much to create a scholarship fund to make it accessible for any of the players who can't afford to pay the additional amount. The Ojai residential summer camp alone charges $625 for the public and gets plenty of takers, while the invite only training camp at the same site only charges $125 for meals. If you look at ODP in every other region in the country, they charge in the thousands including travel costs. Cal South Pro+/ODP is always talked about by other parents as being a model they wished their region emulated.

You can try to figure out their costs for fields, scouts, and coaches to see if someone is getting rich off this, but it's probably quicker to say that if someone is trying to make money off Cal South's ODP program, they aren't very good at the making $$ part. They could charge three times as much and get the same number of players and they could charge four times as much to create a scholarship fund to make it accessible for any of the players who can't afford to pay the additional amount. The Ojai residential summer camp alone charges $625 for the public and gets plenty of takers, while the invite only training camp at the same site only charges $125 for meals. If you look at ODP in every other region in the country, they charge in the thousands including travel costs. Cal South Pro+/ODP is always talked about by other parents as being a model they wished their region emulated.
I agree they could make more money, a lot more. But If you look at the income, there's say 80 boy and 80 girls per year. I think they have 7 years of classes. 160 x 7 x 200 = $224,000 and that's just for the initial set of selected players. The first set of camps are held on 2 fields at Ventura College, can't be much. Scouting is done during Nationals, so you send 4 scouts out for 6 weekends, again can't be much.

I'm pretty sure they come out ahead. Again, I'm not taking the position that the program is evil and they are just a bunch of money grabbers. I think what they charge is reasonable and if you don't like it don't do it. I'm just saying $224,000 is a pretty nice return on say a month and a half of weekends of not very hard work.

I agree they could make more money, a lot more. But If you look at the income, there's say 80 boy and 80 girls per year. I think they have 7 years of classes. 160 x 7 x 200 = $224,000 and that's just for the initial set of selected players. The first set of camps are held on 2 fields at Ventura College, can't be much. Scouting is done during Nationals, so you send 4 scouts out for 6 weekends, again can't be much.

I'm pretty sure they come out ahead. Again, I'm not taking the position that the program is evil and they are just a bunch of money grabbers. I think what they charge is reasonable and if you don't like it don't do it. I'm just saying $224,000 is a pretty nice return on say a month and a half of weekends of not very hard work.
Well, you actually have to cut that number in half, because the vast majority of kids don't make it out of the pool and therefore only pay $100 and for those who do qualify there are expenses that exceed the additional $100 those kids pay (e.g., the travel for selected teams to Arizona includes free airfare and hotel; same for nationals if they qualify). So, that means that the initial pool helps to subsidize the actual team, leaving quite a bit lower return than the original estimate.

Well, you actually have to cut that number in half, because the vast majority of kids don't make it out of the pool and therefore only pay $100 and for those who do qualify there are expenses that exceed the additional $100 those kids pay (e.g., the travel for selected teams to Arizona includes free airfare and hotel; same for nationals if they qualify). So, that means that the initial pool helps to subsidize the actual team, leaving quite a bit lower return than the original estimate.
Sorry, I don't get how you cut it to $100. The initial pool pays $200, gets about 2 weekends of games, then gets cut to 40, then gets cut to 23 and then there's another $200 charge. I don't think the kids who get cut get refunded anything.

We paid $100. If we make the team we pay another $125 to go to Ojai for a 4-day camp.
Ok makes sense. When my son did it, cost $200 for the initial camp. At $100, then yea, I agree rest of you guys they are not making much money, and I AM WRONG!!!

Two ways to get on the list!
  1. Calsouth Scouts (Very limited, good selection of picks).
  2. Coach fills out recommendation forms & sends to CS/ODP. This is when people get lazy and just add what a coach has sent them without verification.
Some coaches to keep the players or promote their name/ club will promise players to make the ODP list. After the 1st round, they get elimanated, but really looks good on resumes for players & the Club/ Coach!

Who knows, now in days a phone call or text will add you to ODP list.

I might be wrong....by looking at this list, everyone knows the players and can make their own determination on what meathods was used.

Back