03 ECNL Roster make-up

Sparky9

SILVER ELITE
I am curious about the roster make-up of this years ECNL teams. How many players were members or affiliate members last year? The age change factors in with many of the best players coming from u13 and then u12.
Since we have heard coaches from these clubs market ECNL to parents as early as u11, did it make a difference if your kid grew up in the club (or affiliate)?

I can only speak from my team's perspective...we had two (2) new girls added from outside our club to this year's roster - other than that, the core group of players are returning and/or from affiliate teams within our club. Not sure about the other ECNL teams...but I know there was lots of movement with the age-group changes - including our team with youngers moving on to other opportunities. Not sure if it helped that we were already with the team/club as far as my dd being asked to play on the ECNL team this season...but I do know there are no guarantees to be on the roster every year - it is made VERY clear that this commitment (and our past seasons) is for the one (1) year...and players are re-evaluated and either offered a spot to come back for the next season...or told that they do not have a spot on the team. Hope this helps...

I am curious about the roster make-up of this years ECNL teams. How many players were members or affiliate members last year? The age change factors in with many of the best players coming from u13 and then u12.
Since we have heard coaches from these clubs market ECNL to parents as early as u11, did it make a difference if your kid grew up in the club (or affiliate)?

I think you ask a very good, but hard to answer question. Generik provided his insight into the Blues U14 ECNL team. As for the Strikers U14 ECNL team, most of the players selected were already with Strikers OC. There were three girls from the U12 team that my dd played on last season. The U13 team made the "core" of the ECNL team and AR found a few players from Surf, Blues and Slammers to round out the roster. I am sure there are players from other teams that make up the Strikers ECNL team, but I don't know for sure.

I do think there is some real value to being in the organization before ECNL is open to your dd, but I also think coaches are more than willing to go outside of their organization to bring players in.

If you and your dd are outside of an ECNL club at U9, U10, U11, etc. and the goal is to be on an ECNL roster when that comes around, the ECNL coaches need to know about your dd. That's were it can be important to play in tournaments where those ECNL coaches will be or play against them in State Cup, National Cup, CRL, etc. I don't think you will have many coaches (if any) who have a great younger player on their team who will contact an ECNL coach to have them watch their player.

Lastly, I also think ODP selection for the player pool is watched closely by all coaches, so these coaches start making notes on names and then may go out and scout a player.

Just my thoughts and I have been wrong before.

My daughter played for a non ECNL club since U9. Made the 03 Slammers ECNL team. Plays 90% of the game. I think if a player works hard, does outside training (speed and agility, shooting, skills) and has a drive to be the best, they will be successful anywhere.
I believe the rest of the players came from different teams on ECNL clubs. Not necessarily the top teams.

I wanted to add some thoughts to this thread regarding some questions/comments mentioned in the "Slammers FC Tournament" thread regarding teams/rosters/playing time...since it seams like this may be the more relative thread to post this information.

Regarding play-time...it absolutely makes no sense to me to have your dd placed onto a "top team" if she isn't seeing the field during a game.

We made a commitment to play ECNL this season...but trust me, if she doesn't make it onto the field for quantity and quality play-time, we will look to make a move to another option that puts her out onto the field more frequently.

However...if she is getting the play-time she needs...she loves the challenge of playing in a top-level circuit in order to challenge herself in her sport.

It helps (as mentioned by others in the other thread) that she likes her coach and teammates - since it is a social event too for many of these girls.

Which leads us the DA next year - not sure how/where we stand with that decision...for me, I plan to "cross that bridge" if/when we have to make a decision...until then, just taking one season at a time.

I personally do not DA for my player (for various reasons)...but if she wants it, I will support that decision after we discuss the "pros and cons" to the program.

I wanted to add some thoughts to this thread regarding some questions/comments mentioned in the "Slammers FC Tournament" thread regarding teams/rosters/playing time...since it seams like this may be the more relative thread to post this information.

Regarding play-time...it absolutely makes no sense to me to have your dd placed onto a "top team" if she isn't seeing the field during a game.

We made a commitment to play ECNL this season...but trust me, if she doesn't make it onto the field for quantity and quality play-time, we will look to make a move to another option that puts her out onto the field more frequently.

However...if she is getting the play-time she needs...she loves the challenge of playing in a top-level circuit in order to challenge herself in her sport.

It helps (as mentioned by others in the other thread) that she likes her coach and teammates - since it is a social event too for many of these girls.

Which leads us the DA next year - not sure how/where we stand with that decision...for me, I plan to "cross that bridge" if/when we have to make a decision...until then, just taking one season at a time.

I personally do not DA for my player (for various reasons)...but if she wants it, I will support that decision after we discuss the "pros and cons" to the program.

Miss you Generik... and the rest of my old 03 boneheads (I mean friends). Feels lonely in the 04 thread....just not the same.

Miss you Generik... and the rest of my old 03 boneheads (I mean friends). Feels lonely in the 04 thread....just not the same.
Yeah...this will take some time to get used to for sure...hope to see you out on the fields this summer!

Back