Will you move your daughter to a more competitive Fight one Team (in top 10 ranking)? need advice

JJ_Soccer

BRONZE
Hi there!

I'm new to soccer and need advice. Will you move your daughter to a more competitive Flight 1 Team (in top 10 Regional) or stay with current team who is new to flight 1 and losses all their Fall matches?

Here are my concerns with our current team:
1. Not all girls are competitive, some for recreational only.
2. Practice not very impressive since the girls are not really into it!
3. I feel like my daughter will not learn from her team mates

Hi there!

I'm new to soccer and need advice. Will you move your daughter to a more competitive Flight 1 Team (in top 10 Regional) or stay with current team who is new to flight 1 and losses all their Fall matches?

I have told people for years that the best target for your child's development would be on a team where he/she is the weakest starter. She will get playing time, and she will learn from the better teammates.

Hi there!

Is your daughter competitive? Does it bother her that her teammates don't have the same commitment? That kind of attitude can be infectious. I don't think there's anything wrong with a rec-level mindset, but rec players should play with rec players, and competitive players should play with likeminded teammates.

Why is your current team moving to Flight 1? Seems you'll be looking for a new team in a year if you are putting kids that aren't at the right level into a higher bracket.
There is nothing wrong with playing in Flight 2.

Hi there!

Just make sure it’s not BW...

My DD has moved a few times over the years and all by her choice and always because she felt like she plateaued and the team she was with wasn't willing to put in the effort. In our instance, we have found that we get the best out of both of our girls if they are middle of the pack and pushed to be better. They've both worked super hard and earned every minute of playing time and never had a bad experience with their teammates. In fact, I think it's taught them to be accepting of change and be less caddy, which girls can be.

Overall, I think it's individualistic, so make sure your daughter is on board. If so, the move probably makes sense. And from my experience, YES....my DD got tremendously better playing, and especially practicing, with quality players. Practice is where the magic happens. If it's not competitive, serious, fun, technical, challenging....your kid will not grow. Overall, let your kid drive and if change is right, she'll tell you and will thrive!!!

Hi there!

JJ, sounds like you've already made up your mind! However, if you haven't, a large consideration is the coaching of each team. If her current coach is providing her with a good training environment and solid skills drills, then you may want to hold off. Unless, of course, you have witnessed a practice session or two of the new coach, as well as a competitive game or two. It helps to see what is being taught, and how it is being taught. If you are comfortable with the instruction, having her in an environment with like-minded players will also help raise her level of play. Either way, good luck to your player.

Back