Who controls US Soccer ?

I’ll go - Nike?
The article was primarily concerned with MLS because they have all the money. Apparently MLS is making some moves that are in their own interest. US Soccer is being run by committee and are not recognizing who the big cheese is when it comes to soccer in America.

The article was primarily concerned with MLS because they have all the money. Apparently MLS is making some moves that are in their own interest. US Soccer is being run by committee and are not recognizing who the big cheese is when it comes to soccer in America.
Pay For Play. How much to join this exclusive club?

With that I’d buy an EPL club.

That’s exactly what the guy from Vegas who was thinking about bringing MLS to Las Vegas did

I remember seeing him interviewed and he basically said , I can go buy a premier league team,
have a stadium and a built in passionate fan base in the best league in the world

That’s exactly what the guy from Vegas who was thinking about bringing MLS to Las Vegas did

I remember seeing him interviewed and he basically said , I can go buy a premier league team,
have a stadium and a built in passionate fan base in the best league in the world

Brilliant move on his part.

Just read the article. Yes, MLS has to much sway with US Soccer. Until US Soccer finds another means of generating funds outside of what they get from MLS they are dependent and stuck.
Short sighted of MLS to abandon US OPEN Cup. It was helping to build a grass roots fan base for MLS. They appear to abandoned all grass roots efforts and aiming for global fans with bringing in lots of big international stars and apple contract. MLS needs to work on the US fan base and international fan base at the same time. It's going to be impossible for fans to fly in internationally to watch MLS games and every country already has a league they're supporting.

Short sighted of MLS to abandon US OPEN Cup. It was helping to build a grass roots fan base for MLS. They appear to abandoned all grass roots efforts and aiming for global fans with bringing in lots of big international stars and apple contract. MLS needs to work on the US fan base and international fan base at the same time. It's going to be impossible for fans to fly in internationally to watch MLS games and every country already has a league they're supporting.
My grass roots interest is when a local amateur team does well. Here is an article about two teams (knew and played with/against players on the roster) that did well in this event.

Last edited:
A bunch of incompetent cronies that care more about their own power than the development of American soccer.

American soccer has only gotten worse in the last decade. My son has been thru calendar year age change (which I agree with), the mandates (small-sides, build-out line, etc), DA, MLS Next, "consolidation" of clubs, explosion of letter leagues (dilution of talent)... At this point, I don't ever see the US having a coherent development program. We will remain competitive because we have the athletes, but we will never thrive as a soccer nation. The only reason MLS is somewhat successful is because it can attract out-of-prime international stars with bloated contracts.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I say make high school soccer relevant again. Most kids only chance for glory is HS, why not promote it instead of prohibiting it or discouraging it. Unfortunately, clubs and coaches are too arrogant to allow it. High school is the college pathway for every major sport. Why does club soccer think its special? IDK, but somehow its brain washed parents into thinking so. (I'm not claiming the current high school soccer is pretty, but that's self-fulfilling when the best players are discouraged from playing.)

A bunch of incompetent cronies that care more about their own power than the development of American soccer.

American soccer has only gotten worse in the last decade. My son has been thru calendar year age change (which I agree with), the mandates (small-sides, build-out line, etc), DA, MLS Next, "consolidation" of clubs, explosion of letter leagues (dilution of talent)... At this point, I don't ever see the US having a coherent development program. We will remain competitive because we have the athletes, but we will never thrive as a soccer nation. The only reason MLS is somewhat successful is because it can attract out-of-prime international stars with bloated contracts.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I say make high school soccer relevant again. Most kids only chance for glory is HS, why not promote it instead of prohibiting it or discouraging it. Unfortunately, clubs and coaches are too arrogant to allow it. High school is the college pathway for every major sport. Why does club soccer think its special? IDK, but somehow its brain washed parents into thinking so. (I'm not claiming the current high school soccer is pretty, but that's self-fulfilling when the best players are discouraged from playing.)
I was just thinking how stupid it is to have these old timers from EURO come over here and take the easy money. No real ganas from these guys. It's like retired baseball players playing in a professional softball league over in England. We need to make our own American Soccer Greatness. The US Open should be respected and valued. Lastman made a great point about how cool it is for small clubs to make a run and name for themselves. The big issue is buying a franchise for 1/2 a billion and guaranteed to stay in the top league with no regulation for sucking and no promotion for a small but mighty club that does it right and wins on the field. I agree with you about High School Soccer but disagree with the Calendar year.

Completely agree.

For my senior DS, high school soccer has been great preparation for college. Short intense season with multiple physical games a week. High stakes playoffs with plenty of emotion.

High school soccer definitely does not make sense for the truly elite players looking to sign first team contracts when they are 16 to 18 but that is such a small percentage of players. Maybe zero to 3 for each MLS academy class vs. the thousands of players foregong high school soccer to play MLS Next.

Maybe MLS Next should end at U14 or 15. After that a narrower elite system with more money spent on fewer players in residential centers of excellence. Club, high school, college for everyone else. Same for the girls.

Maybe MLS Next should end at U14 or 15. After that a narrower elite system with more money spent on fewer players in residential centers of excellence. Club, high school, college for everyone else. Same for the girls.
The only way to make this work is if you ban colleges from recruiting foreign Academy players.

Americans want to make soccer like football. This will never work because it's an international game and not how everyone else in the world develops talent.

Back