What is too aggressive?

If he meant to call advantage he would have done it at the time it happened.

This whole, ah, "discussion" reminds me of Pharisees and Jesus. The Pharisees focused on the letter of the law versus the intent and spirit behind them. Just as the posters here are focusing on the referee's signal versus whether the call was the right one or whether his decision was the right one based on the specific game and circumstances. Or the assessor who focuses on the referee's angle of the arm when indicating or whether players' socks were appropriately up versus looking at the big picture and whether the referee was practical and used common sense. The pertinent question to be asked of the referee in this video is, did the players understand what the referee was trying to communicate to them? If they did, what then is the problem?
Thank you. Great post

I would've called a pushing foul. After the play the ref gesture was confusing but it appeared to be a made up "play on" gesture. Maybe there was a verbal too?

For a game played by 7 year olds, I would probably call a foul. If I didn't call a foul, I sure and the hell would not have put my arms out in what appears to be a lazy refs advantage call.
How do you know that's what it was? How do you know it wasn't to appease a loudmouth on the sideline screaming, "You missed that one ref" "Red card" etc. or any other such nonsense?

If he meant to call advantage he would have done it at the time it happened.

This whole, ah, "discussion" reminds me of Pharisees and Jesus. The Pharisees focused on the letter of the law versus the intent and spirit behind them. Just as the posters here are focusing on the referee's signal versus whether the call was the right one or whether his decision was the right one based on the specific game and circumstances. Or the assessor who focuses on the referee's angle of the arm when indicating or whether players' socks were appropriately up versus looking at the big picture and whether the referee was practical and used common sense. The pertinent question to be asked of the referee in this video is, did the players understand what the referee was trying to communicate to them? If they did, what then is the problem?

I completely get your post. Worded mine a little off after reading your response.

Good post and I completely agree. Still probably would have called a foul on a U8 games.

I recently spend an entire weekend working U8 - U10 games and realized they are a completely different animal compared to the U14 and above games that I normally work. I learned quickly to explained everything to the players.

Confusing to who? Did the players look confused?

Confusing because it was likely improper mechanics. Not that little kids would know what improper mechanics would be so it probably doesn't matter. Just confusing to us watching the video and probably those watching the game from the sidelines unless there was a vocalized command from the ref that couldn't be heard. It is a video and nothing better than actually being there up close. Not a big deal in the big scope of things, other than the likely missed foul call.

Confusing because it was likely improper mechanics. Not that little kids would know what improper mechanics would be so it probably doesn't matter. Just confusing to us watching the video and probably those watching the game from the sidelines unless there was a vocalized command from the ref that couldn't be heard. It is a video and nothing better than actually being there up close. Not a big deal in the big scope of things, other than the likely missed foul call.
First of all, if it's not confusing to the kids then it's a non issue. Those watching from the sidelines are irrelevant. Second, there was no missed foul. The referee clearly indicated he saw the action.

First of all, if it's not confusing to the kids then it's a non issue. Those watching from the sidelines are irrelevant. Second, there was no missed foul. The referee clearly indicated he saw the action.

We are all allowed our opinion(s). What's done is done.

Mine: Bad mechanics, missed foul call.

Yours: No foul.

We are all allowed our opinion(s). What's done is done.

Mine: Bad mechanics, missed foul call.

Yours: No foul.
Our opinions are irrelevant. What's at issue here is the second guessing of the referee by some around here and the arrogance that their opinions are correct and the referee is wrong or because the referee did not do what they would have done or because he did not blow the whistle, therefore he missed a call even though his actions and proximity to the action clearly indicate he saw it and determined there should be no call or even that his mechanics were wrong when the cannot even accurately state what it is the referee was trying to communicate. It must have worked because obviously I see no confusion on the part of players. Do you?

As a referee, these threads make me understand how good cops feel when another officer is arrogant, goes rogue, claims their decision was justified, never to be questioned, and makes them all look bad.
Or the worse scenario where an officer deals successfully with a volatile situation and another officer claims he was wrong because he held the baton in the wrong hand and referred to the victim as madam instead of ma'am.

I completely get your post. Worded mine a little off after reading your response.

Good post and I completely agree. Still probably would have called a foul on a U8 games.

I recently spend an entire weekend working U8 - U10 games and realized they are a completely different animal compared to the U14 and above games that I normally work. I learned quickly to explained everything to the players.
Explaining your calls to players in that age group is not done enough. I do appreciate when an official does giving a quick but important lesson about the game.

What load of BS!!! Any decent referee is not swayed by what the coach and especially what the spectators/parents are yelling. Any good referee will listen to the players and may make adjustments to how the game is being called. Referees do not give "make up" calls. That statement is just about as ignorant as yelling at the referee that they are not calling the same number of fouls on both teams.

A lot more goes into actually calling a foul than you may realize. When a referee sees a foul there are several split second decisions that are factored in before the whistle is blown, such as the severity of the foul, if the player can play through the foul, is there a teammate that may get the ball and continue the attack, was the foul a tactical foul, position on the field, is this player being targeted, does a card need to be issued, etc.......
Any decent or good referee as you stated. Those are hard to find now a days.

The true-true is that most parents at these early ages simply do not know the difference between "rough play" and a "foul." Having seen their daughters' games in AYSO, they believe that every form of using one's body as leverage is illegal. In point of fact, if the ball is in a playable position, just about any contact you make with your body is legal, short of intentionally kicking or elbowing, or obviously extending the arms to push a kid out of the way.
BS soccer is a skilled and tactful game with some form of physical contact. If the ball is in a playable position, NOT just about any contact you make with your body is legal. Just watch professional soccer matches.

You are correct, that was not a trifling foul. The player extended her arms beyond what we would normally see if she was sitting in a chair, pushed off, and the referee should have probably called a foul, level 2 careless. If this same player continued to do that type of move over the course of the game and had been warned a few times I might even give her yellow card but not until I see the same behavior repeated over and over
Warned a few times? One warning is enough. Not a few. Now I see the problem. There should the same protocols for all the refs.

Back