VIDEO: 13-year-old superstar the next Lionel Messi?

That kid is a stud! I agree with you on that. The pass , pass pass mentality is what's holding us back. In South America is all about gambetas.

There's also a video of Messi at 12 playing with his childhood club Newell's old boys.

“We were all delighted to see Karamoko make his debut for the Development Squad last night against Hearts in what proved to be an entertaining game,” The fact that he was playing against other players seven years his senior gives an indication of the quality this young boy possesses and it was also fitting that he came on for Jack Aitchison, the club’s youngest-ever goal scorer.

“What we need to remember, though, is that Karamoko is just 13-years-old. He was given a chance to play last night on merit, as was Kieran, but it is very important that we continue their development at a measured pace. Karamoko is still a young boy and has a lot of growing to do, both physically and mentally. The coaches at our Under 13 and 14 levels have been fantastic in nurturing his potential but it is crucial that we do not push him too far, too soon.”

The key words here are "nurturing his potential" i.e., allowing him to express himself with the ability to make decisions on his own. Instead here they get yelled at to hurry up and pass pass in the process creating cookie cutter players for the ultimate GOAL- Win Now.

"We won this We won that!"- U.S. Coaches

...winning at all costs at the expense of player development.

The key words here are "nurturing his potential" i.e., allowing him to express himself with the ability to make decisions on his own. Instead here they get yelled at to hurry up and pass pass in the process creating cookie cutter players for the ultimate GOAL- Win Now.

"We won this We won that!"- U.S. Coaches

...winning at all costs at the expense of player development.

Why such a negative view, we have plenty of good coaches here?

No but that kid is fun to watch.

More than just the coaches, the whole system can use a overhaul. Started with the age group and smaller sided changes but the closed leagues and high price of playing is still a problem for a sport that is mostly a suburban hobby for a certain group of people.

In the US a kid with that talent won't stick around long because instead of playing him up at u19-20 we try to keep him at u13 to win games or maybe move him up to u14 where everyone goes after him. Sooner or later starts looking for something elsewhere when they realize US leagues or teams don't quite offer enough yet to keep developing after a certain point.

Coerver is a great individual tool. I encourage all players that I come across to look it up and implement it during free time.

Arjen Robben comes to mind.

Back