USWNT

Maybe US soccer isn't too concerned about players being roll models as far as education is concerned, just soccer in general, something to consider in choosing DA.
I wonder if she comes from money or modest means?

US Soccer not being concerned about that should be a concern for us. This is America right?

Concerned about what? You have raised some good points but I don't understand this last post.

I quote @Sheriff Joe and his statement about US soccer not caring about players being role models. That is a concern. Even the NFL in its eternal greed cares about players being role models. For a federation not to care says a lot about where we are as a country or at least where the federation is.

I think that it is the right decision for her given the circumstances and what I know. There is a lot of non public information on this FYI.

I quote @Sheriff Joe and his statement about US soccer not caring about players being role models. That is a concern. Even the NFL in its eternal greed cares about players being role models. For a federation not to care says a lot about where we are as a country or at least where the federation is.
I know there are rules about leaving college early for the pros in other sports but not sure where soccer fits in there, maybe that would push her overseas?

I know there are rules about leaving college early for the pros in other sports but not sure where soccer fits in there, maybe that would push her overseas?

It is uncharted territory. NFL requires a player be two years removed from their High School graduation before being drafted. The NBA requires one year removed from high school. Tennis has no such rule nor does BMX, Motorcross, skateboarding or snowboarding. I am not against it. I just think that the federation shouldn't be pushing it. Basically the economics in all of the other sports exist without US government support. In women's soccer that is not the case. We might as well be in China where the government picks most of the winners.

Was she being pulled in too many directions as a national team player, college player and college student?
One of them probably had to give. And if she gave up the national team, there's no guaranteee she gets asked back in 3.5 years once she graduates.
She can always go back to school. If I were her, I'd negotiate a life time college education into my Nike contract.

Was she being pulled in too many directions as a national team player, college player and college student?
One of them probably had to give. And if she gave up the national team, there's no guaranteee she gets asked back in 3.5 years once she graduates.
She can always go back to school. If I were her, I'd negotiate a life time college education into my Nike contract.

Her particular college is the real deal and requires a great deal of time and commitment. Lot's of accommodations were made. Good luck to her in the future.

Based on the numbers being thrown around, and if she does get a 250K minimum deal with Nike or Adidas, then we are looking at 400K per year over the next 4 years minimum. Defer some for school in the future. Misty Copeland makes less than 100K per year dancing in ballet, but her deals outside of dance triples that number. The same could happen for Pugh.

Does she have the personality to be marketable?
(I have seen her play, but haven't heard her speak).
Several women's players make big money from endorsements.
Alex Morgan makes the big bucks because she is good at soccer, is easy on the eyes and has a personality that clicks with most people.
Abby made money because she was a physical beast.
Carli Lloyd lit the World Cup on fire and became a household name.
Hope Solo is a very polarizing person. In addition to being the best in the world, she's attractive and vocal. And controversial.
Tobin Heath will be one of the next stars to cash in on endorsements.

But the rest of the roster, you don't hear much about. They are earning a decent living off of their uswnt salary, but once their career is over, they'll be coaching soccer for the next 40 years.

US Soccer not being concerned about that should be a concern for us. This is America right?
That's pretty obvious when they had freshman miss their 1st half year of school for a U20 World Cup in BFE that means nothing in the real scheme of things. Only a handful of that group have any chance of making the full team.

Her particular college is the real deal and requires a great deal of time and commitment. Lot's of accommodations were made. Good luck to her in the future.
Yes the school is the real deal and it is very challenging being a D1 athlete at a powerhouse and managing school at a top academic institution. Being home schooled and not a particularly strong student I am going out on a limb in saying someone might find the environment too much next fall.

That's pretty obvious when they had freshman miss their 1st half year of school for a U20 World Cup in BFE that means nothing in the real scheme of things. Only a handful of that group have any chance of making the full team.
All the US WNT coaches are concerned about is keeping their jobs, "NOT" what is best for the player. I know BJ Snow told his age group that US Soccer highly recommends home schooling, because they will miss a lot of classes. I know of only 1 player from SoCal who elected home school.

Yes the school is the real deal and it is very challenging being a D1 athlete at a powerhouse and managing school at a top academic institution. Being home schooled and not a particularly strong student I am going out on a limb in saying someone might find the environment too much next fall.

You are right too often for me to ignore. I hope that the person that you are referencing doesn't sink...

All the US WNT coaches are concerned about is keeping their jobs, "NOT" what is best for the player. I know BJ Snow told his age group that US Soccer highly recommends home schooling, because they will miss a lot of classes. I know of only 1 player from SoCal who elected home school.

And like I said to @pulguita I hope that she doesn't sink.

Is there any concern about conflicts that US Soccer may have with Nike? If MP signs some huge deal Nike, I could see pressure applied on US Soccer to make sure she plays. And while the girl is great, I'm not sure she is a starter (yet) on a fully loaded WNT. The one thing the US is not short on is talented attacking players.

Is there any concern about conflicts that US Soccer may have with Nike? If MP signs some huge deal Nike, I could see pressure applied on US Soccer to make sure she plays. And while the girl is great, I'm not sure she is a starter (yet) on a fully loaded WNT. The one thing the US is not short on is talented attacking players.
Womens WC is 2 yrs away. By then she will be a legit starting forward for the team and Alex Morgan and Christine Press will almost be 30. IMO, Dunn and Pugh would be my starting outside forwards. Question I have is who will be the target center forward?

Back