USMNT Drama

I dont understand why USMNT leadership gave Reyna's mom a platform to complain. This seems like poor PR/Leadership more than anything else. The minute it came up Berhalters wife should have acknowledged the incident to the media + said that it was a one time thing that occurred when they were young and it was addressed 30 years ago.

The real issue with soccer is that it's become too touchy feely with emotions. This allows cry-bullies to pretend that they're victims to get what they want.

I dont understand why USMNT leadership gave Reyna's mom a platform to complain. This seems like poor PR/Leadership more than anything else. The minute it came up Berhalters wife should have acknowledged the incident to the media + said that it was a one time thing that occurred when they were young and it was addressed 30 years ago.

The real issue with soccer is that it's become too touchy feely with emotions. This allows cry-bullies to pretend that they're victims to get what they want.
A reflection on our society as it exists today!

The Berhalter's did do that exactly (acknowledge one time incident 30+ years ago) with their joint statement. And then Reyna's mom continued to pour gasoline on the fire by saying they were minimizing the incident.

because they are all longtime friends, which is another issue all together

The Berhalter's did do that exactly (acknowledge one time incident 30+ years ago) with their joint statement. And then Reyna's mom continued to pour gasoline on the fire by saying they were minimizing the incident.

Its not even the Reynas story to tell

all because their golden child didn’t get enough playing time

I think Berhalter handled the Gio controversy wrong ( releasing it in public ), but what the Reynas did was way worse , especially since the families were supposed to be very close

because they are all longtime friends, which is another issue all together
Yea I noticed that USMNT players have all been playing together for a long time. Listened to Pulisic talk about how "special" this group was. Was thinking to myself what are the odds that the best possible US players have been playing together on the same teams since they were 12? No other sport, hockey, basketball, football, etc, etc, etc works this way. What makes soccer different? Or more likely is it that a select few have created their own little group + others arent invited + they have a stranglehold on who plays. As long as they make the final 16 in the world cup the machine keeps spinning.

Leadership- Brian MCBride and Earnie Stewart
Coach- Berhalter
Helicopter Parent and GM of Austin MLS- Reyna

all former teammates and friends for years

This was one of the criticism of bringing Berhalter aboard in the first place , his bosses are his close friends

interesting To see what the fallout will be from this

but US soccer has been run like a family run business for years , maybe this brings in new blood

Leadership- Brian MCBride and Earnie Stewart
Coach- Berhalter
Helicopter Parent and GM of Austin MLS- Reyna

all former teammates and friends for years

This was one of the criticism of bringing Berhalter aboard in the first place , his bosses are his close friends

interesting To see what the fallout will be from this

but US soccer has been run like a family run business for years , maybe this brings in new blood

If Berhalter is a friend of the Reynas, he should not have publicly brought up Gio's issues once it was resolved. If Berhalter was professional, he would not have brought up Gio's falter after it was resolved.

Yes, Gio's mom should NOT have interfered but what is a mom to do when your son is publicly humiliated by his coach and a close friend of the family? Do you expect her to sit still and twiddle her thumb?

Gio's mom felt the need to defend her son and she felt betrayed by Berhalter's actions in publicly humiliating a kid that is practically his nephew.

Would you have publicly humiliated your close friend's kid?

Berhalter should never have been the coach because he was too close to too many people but on a personal level, that was shitty how he publicly humiliated Gio on a national level.

This is not about playtime, so don't use this as a comparison. I'll never retaliate about playtime, but if you ever decide to publicly humiliate my kid on a national level, I might just humiliate you back for being an ass to my kid.

If Berhalter is a friend of the Reynas, he should not have publicly brought up Gio's issues once it was resolved. If Berhalter was professional, he would not have brought up Gio's falter after it was resolved.

Yes, Gio's mom should NOT have interfered but what is a mom to do when your son is publicly humiliated by his coach and a close friend of the family? Do you expect her to sit still and twiddle her thumb?

Gio's mom felt the need to defend her son and she felt betrayed by Berhalter's actions in publicly humiliating a kid that is practically his nephew.

Would you have publicly humiliated your close friend's kid?

Berhalter should never have been the coach because he was too close to too many people but on a personal level, that was shitty how he publicly humiliated Gio on a national level.

This is not about playtime, so don't use this as a comparison. I'll never retaliate about playtime, but if you ever decide to publicly humiliate my kid on a national level, I might just humiliate you back for being an ass to my kid.

she released a story that wasn’t her story to release about a prior domestic dispute

Berhalter isn’t innocent here at all, but Reynas took this to another level

Has anyone thought that the Reynas (thru their connections) might hear that US Soccer is close to extending GB contract? If this happens, Gio's career in national team is at least on hold for 4 years (8 years to the next WC appearance). In order to get a new coach, Mom (or Dad) thinks the only option is to deploy their nuclear weapon.
Both parents are ex-pro players. They know all too well that Gio is not at the level of Benzema or Haaland who can be a superstar without WC national team appearances.

Has anyone thought that the Reynas (thru their connections) might hear that US Soccer is close to extending GB contract? If this happens, Gio's career in national team is at least on hold for 4 years (8 years to the next WC appearance). In order to get a new coach, Mom (or Dad) thinks the only option is to deploy their nuclear weapon.
Both parents are ex-pro players. They know all too well that Gio is not at the level of Benzema or Haaland who can be a superstar without WC national team appearances.

the rumors have always been that Gregg wanted to get back to club soccer , and that he had some interest in Europe after the WC

i thought once he went public ( he states he thought this was an off record conversation at some forum) last month with the GIo story his days were over with national team

I don’t think there is any chance he gets extended now

I also would always choose Gio over Gregg. Gio could potentially be the best player we’ve ever had

He never mentioned Gio’s name, only made reference to a situation in which one player was almost sent home.

Yet another black eye for US Men’s Soccer…

I also would always choose Gio over Gregg. Gio could potentially be the best player we’ve ever had

I agree, Love Gio as a player, but his career is tarnished with his behavior at the WC and now with his parents throwing dirt from 30+ years ago? Sorry, but I hope his USNT career is over. It would be a shame but there has to be a price for what his parents did. Behavior at the WC is excusable should he turn things around (see Foden and Greenwood at the Euros)….but Mommy and Daddy are DIRTBAGS!

He never mentioned Gio’s name, only made reference to a situation in which one player was almost sent home.

Yet another black eye for US Men’s Soccer…
I don't think he needed to mention Gio's name to implicate Gio. It was obvious he was talking about GIO. Coach shouldn't have ever talked about it publicly outside the team if it was already resolved.
I also think Gregg handled the world cup poorly. We weren't able to score and he didn't try to fix that situation. Gio should have been part of the mix before that last game in order to get the edge out of playing in the world cup before an elimination game. No reason Gregg should have made an attacking player like Gio feel that bad in the first place, especially when we were lacking in the attack. A coach that can't handle these types of superstars and takes it personally rather than learn how to manage the situation to the advantage of the team, shouldn't be the coach.

Berhalter's communication to Gio triggered things. Why tell a player they aren't going to play much-seems like Coach made up his decision before analyzing what the team is facing or needs to do? Why not see how the player progresses physically and how the team is playing to decide?

A good coach would have realized the attacking needed a few more change ups and definitely giving more players more time up top.

I don't think he needed to mention Gio's name to implicate Gio. It was obvious he was talking about GIO. Coach shouldn't have ever talked about it publicly outside the team if it was already resolved.
I also think Gregg handled the world cup poorly. We weren't able to score and he didn't try to fix that situation. Gio should have been part of the mix before that last game in order to get the edge out of playing in the world cup before an elimination game. No reason Gregg should have made an attacking player like Gio feel that bad in the first place, especially when we were lacking in the attack. A coach that can't handle these types of superstars and takes it personally rather than learn how to manage the situation to the advantage of the team, shouldn't be the coach.

Berhalter's communication to Gio triggered things. Why tell a player they aren't going to play much-seems like Coach made up his decision before analyzing what the team is facing or needs to do? Why not see how the player progresses physically and how the team is playing to decide?

A good coach would have realized the attacking needed a few more change ups and definitely giving more players more time up top.
Well we don’t know what went on behind the scenes. No reason for me to defend Berhalter as a Coach but he did well at putting together a good team. Whether or not he did the best that could have been done with it is up for debate.

But nothing he did justifies the actions of the Reyna’s.

Back