Turning Pro at 13

She's 15 and I fully support her dreams but Canada is correct. If you play in the pros, you have to play pro level. If you aren't playing at a pro level, then you're just there for publicity and taking another pro's playing time and spot on the team.
So she's not playing pro level?

Look, I get that she is in the spotlight and that many will be critical. Appears to me that she is aware of that and handles it with poise and grace.

And fine, criticize away. At least Canada's criticism was soccer based, which is a good thing.

So she's not playing pro level?

Look, I get that she is in the spotlight and that many will be critical. Appears to me that she is aware of that and handles it with poise and grace.

And fine, criticize away. At least Canada's criticism was soccer based, which is a good thing.
I'm fully supportive of her dreams, her path, and her parents sacrifices. I do hope she plays up to the pro level soon but I agree with Canada's soccer critique. A 15 year old playing pro should make an impact on a team, not only from a lucky free kick. She is very poised and I'm proud of her for that. I don't think she's playing up to the level of the other players on the field during matches, which then indicates she's there for Nike's and Portland's publicity sake and not to improve the women's soccer game. Here's hoping this will change with a few more games of experience but I've watched some of those YNT games OM participated in and it's very similar to this performance.

I'm fully supportive of her dreams, her path, and her parents sacrifices. I do hope she plays up to the pro level soon but I agree with Canada's soccer critique. A 15 year old playing pro should make an impact on a team, not only from a lucky free kick. She is very poised and I'm proud of her for that. I don't think she's playing up to the level of the other players on the field during matches, which then indicates she's there for Nike's and Portland's publicity sake and not to improve the women's soccer game. Here's hoping this will change with a few more games of experience but I've watched some of those YNT games OM participated in and it's very similar to this performance.

So you think it's a publicity stunt that she's even on the field? Does a 15 year old need to be an impact player on a pro team? Is it enough that she's able to play at all? I don't think the Thorns are relying on her to win games.

I have no idea, but how many minutes has she played this year?

'
So you think it's a publicity stunt that she's even on the field? Does a 15 year old need to be an impact player on a pro team? Is it enough that she's able to play at all? I don't think the Thorns are relying on her to win games.

It's starting to look like a publicity stunt. At first, I was hoping it was based on merit but it doesn't appear that way based on her current performances. All the young boys who come on the field and play in pro leagues, they are always impact players. They aren't just put in the field because they are young and can hang. When you're young, you lack experience but can make up for it with excessive speed and skills above and beyond other current players on the field. I'm not seeing it there for OM. If she was a college freshman, would Portland have chosen to pick her up in the draft? Or did they only do it for the publicity because she's a 15 year old?

Pro sports at the highest is very transparent. Either you have it or you don't. No amount of hype or celebrity is going to help on the field. Tim Tebow and Anna Kournikova were two such examples. We will know in a couple of years if Olivia has the goods. In the meantime, it's great if her story gets more people interested in the NWSL.

In my lifetime the one athlete who truly exceeded his hype/celebrity was Bo Jackson playing baseball. "Bo Jackson says hello!". He was THE star among stars.
Bo was #1. I do remember Shea Cotton getting GOAT when he balled at Mater Dei. When he was 15, they called him a man child and the next great one.

This is how you will find out the truth. Put cash on the line and the coaches job. Tell the coaches of both teams the following: Coaches, the winner of this one game will get $500,000 cash bonus. The loser will get fired. This will 100% get you the truth. I asked old dd coach about this very topic when my player balled 24/7 back in the day. I was super suspicious of moves dude would make. Anyway, I asked him what his real starting line up would be of the two age groups he was coaching if the winning coach got $25K bonus for each victory and $100,000 bonus for GDA champ. He told me what the line up would be and my dd made the cut, playing up. However, because of the pay per play model, he had to make the owners happy and all the parents happy and that in of itself is harder for a coach then just tryin to win the damn game. Does that make sense?

GK guess wrong and that is not about luck. For a 15 year old playing with olders, that was a hell of a kick. It had good spin and it went in. She had a great cross for assist too.

'
It's starting to look like a publicity stunt. At first, I was hoping it was based on merit but it doesn't appear that way based on her current performances. All the young boys who come on the field and play in pro leagues, they are always impact players. They aren't just put in the field because they are young and can hang. When you're young, you lack experience but can make up for it with excessive speed and skills above and beyond other current players on the field. I'm not seeing it there for OM. If she was a college freshman, would Portland have chosen to pick her up in the draft? Or did they only do it for the publicity because she's a 15 year old?
I watched LAG play this weekend. Last 10-15 mins they put in an 18 and 19 yr old. They each played similarly to OM. Held their own but showed their physical immaturity from time to time (bodied off the ball, pace not as high, etc).

All of your points are valid. We will see how it plays out.

'

The Thorns coaches are obviously comfortable enough with her play that they are letting her take corner kicks and free kicks within goal range. Do you suppose they had orders (suggestions?) from Nike to do that? (OM conspiracy theory #27)

The Thorns coaches are obviously comfortable enough with her play that they are letting her take corner kicks and free kicks within goal range. Do you suppose they had orders (suggestions?) from Nike to do that? (OM conspiracy theory #27)
I don't think it's a conspiracy but I do think they are trying to get her involved as much as they can because they chose to bring her on to their team, which I think is great if she develops into an impact player. I'm still routing for her to continue her development and turn into the player Nike and Thorns are hoping she can become.

People get confused about what an elite player is. "Barely touched the ball or wasn't in the game." is said a lot about OM.
What Olivia Moultrie gives you in almost every game in the many times I've seen her, is one or two moments where she either scores a goal or creates a goal and that's something very few players, even at the Pro level can do.

OM found her way into the game when they moved her out of the central position. She was involved in a majority of the offensive build up in the 2nd.

She’s been given the chance due to injuries and minute mitigation for players returning from Olympic duty. IMHO, she’s done well and will only continue to improve.

Too much shade being thrown her way……

I saw more 2nd half, but agree more with Kicker than Canada. When she received the ball, she made the right choices and played within the game and made nice passes to her teammates to put them in attacking positions. Was she Messi? No. Did she make some mistakes, yes. But she played solid offensively imo. Was a part in 1 goal on corner, scored on free kick, and in pk's coach put her in under tons of possible scrutiny, and she delivered without any question. There were at least 3 free kicks that were blocked to put things in perspective and she was not one of them. Give her some credit at least.

I watched LAG play this weekend. Last 10-15 mins they put in an 18 and 19 yr old. They each played similarly to OM. Held their own but showed their physical immaturity from time to time (bodied off the ball, pace not as high, etc).

All of your points are valid. We will see how it plays out.
An 18 or 19 old. Really. Try again. If we are going to compare male to female counterparts. Is she Rooney, Ronaldo, Mbappe?

SHE'S 15!
Yes, that's how the PR machine wants you to review her play and potential. "She's doing all this at 15, just wait till she's 21!" It kinda makes an excuse for mediocre play -- oh, but she's only 15. And when she has a moment of success it's headline grabbing -- 15 year old does this!

Don't forget, yes she's 15 years of age, but she's had 10 years of the best training and coaching and soccer lifestyle money can buy. With a childhood dedicated to soccer at the exclusion of everything else, she's likely accrued the same number of soccer training hours as 25 year old women in the league. Likely, that will limit her upside potential as the years go on.

Nobody knows how much more improvement she will have, maybe a lot, maybe a little? But I don't think we should be giving her a pass on poor/mediocre play "because she's 15yrs old." In "soccer years" she is much older and experienced.

Yes, that's how the PR machine wants you to review her play and potential. "She's doing all this at 15, just wait till she's 21!" It kinda makes an excuse for mediocre play -- oh, but she's only 15. And when she has a moment of success it's headline grabbing -- 15 year old does this!

Don't forget, yes she's 15 years of age, but she's had 10 years of the best training and coaching and soccer lifestyle money can buy. With a childhood dedicated to soccer at the exclusion of everything else, she's likely accrued the same number of soccer training hours as 25 year old women in the league. Likely, that will limit her upside potential as the years go on.

Nobody knows how much more improvement she will have, maybe a lot, maybe a little? But I don't think we should be giving her a pass on poor/mediocre play "because she's 15yrs old." In "soccer years" she is much older and experienced.
So in your opinion a goal and an assist is a poor showing? Ok, is your expert opinion based on your extensive Coaching career or your long playing career at the collegiate and professional levels?

The overall fanfare is great for the women’s game. Is it a little overblown? Yah, likely.

But your overly harsh review of her play makes you loose credibility.

People get confused about what an elite player is. "Barely touched the ball or wasn't in the game." is said a lot about OM.
What Olivia Moultrie gives you in almost every game in the many times I've seen her, is one or two moments where she either scores a goal or creates a goal and that's something very few players, even at the Pro level can do.
When I see it consistently during the run of play I will happily sing her praises. Right now all that can be fairly stated is that she has a good set piece/corner kick.

Back