Time to Abandon Ship

I realise now that I made a terrible mistake keeping my DD on her current team. She is not being developed. Need insight on first steps to abandon ship.

Why?
What is the issue?
What age?
What does she think?

I know quite a few people that have moved around every year or 2. Some of them quit by 13. The kid was happy enough at her first club and might still be playing is they hadn't changed 4 times.
And I know some that have moved a ton and have had success.

You ever leave a decent job (where you were happy) to chase more money? But then you wind up working with a bunch of jerks and hate going to work every day? At least it was your decision and you have no one to blame but yourself. Imagine if someone made you leave and then hated it.

Why?
What is the issue?
What age?
What does she think?

I know quite a few people that have moved around every year or 2. Some of them quit by 13. The kid was happy enough at her first club and might still be playing is they hadn't changed 4 times.

You ever leave a decent job (where you were happy) to chase more money? But then you wind up working with a bunch of jerks and hate going to work every day? At least it was your decision and you have no one to blame but yourself. Imagine if someone made you leave and then hated it.
Why? There is no challenge.
What is the issue? Lack of development or refer to my response to first question.
Age? 04, this is the 04 thread.
What does she think? She's 12. Her thoughts change every three minutes.

You can burn your bridges or just loosen the bolts a little at a time. Just know once you show up at a tryout or a training session at another club it will get back to your coach before your next practice and you may have to decide quickly what to do next.

You can burn your bridges or just loosen the bolts a little at a time. Just know once you show up at a tryout or a training session at another club it will get back to your coach before your next practice and you may have to decide quickly what to do next.
What's the loosening bolt option?

Why? There is no challenge.
What is the issue? Lack of development or refer to my response to first question.
Age? 04, this is the 04 thread.
What does she think? She's 12. Her thoughts change every three minutes.
Two thoughts. First, leaving a club is easy. Just reach out to other teams and have her attend practices. It's easy.

Second, your response to the "what does she think" question speaks volumes to me. Ultimately she's the player - if she's not on board with whatever decision you make for her, it'll end badly.

Spot on. Change can be good, but make sure it is really what your kid wants, not just what you want.

Maybe you know this already but if you want to play state cup with another team you better get the ball rolling. There is something called a transfer window that you need to sign with another team before a certain date. Not sure when that is but you may want to look into it. If it is just development your worried about then I would stay with your current team until after State Cup but it doesn't mean you can't start trying out for other clubs. The best way to leave is just leave after State Cup without bad mouthing anybody on your way out. That way you won't feel like an ass hat when you run into your ex team parents on the fields. @Flipthrow way of leaving is more common but not recommended.

Maybe you know this already but if you want to play state cup with another team you better get the ball rolling. There is something called a transfer window that you need to sign with another team before a certain date. Not sure when that is but you may want to look into it. If it is just development your worried about then I would stay with your current team until after State Cup but it doesn't mean you can't start trying out for other clubs. The best way to leave is just leave after State Cup without bad mouthing anybody on your way out. That way you won't feel like an ass hat when you run into your ex team parents on the fields. @Flipthrow way of leaving is more common but not recommended.
@Yamadori #rightway #sarcasmhardtopickuponline
#keepyourmouthshutuntilyoudecide #makefriendsalongtheway #smallworld

Most coaches have no problem letting kids go if they aren't happy being there and if the parents are upfront about looking elsewhere.

Soccer community is way to small to try to sneak around

Great that you are starting early. Just gave yourself the gift of a lot of runway. Just start going to work outs with other teams. Our policy was for players to let the coach know if family is looking since coach will find out anyway. A lousy coach is often an insecure coach and will give you a hard time. An excellent coach will be secure and ok but want to keep getting updated. Take your time. Main thing is to take your time and find the right fit. Your daughter will appreciate your efforts when she gets older. Do more homework. ...you already sense something is not right. Another benefit of the workouts with other teams is that it will clarify, compare and contrast the picture with the current situation. I had to move my younger one. Told the coach and she was all class. It was a pain going to other workouts at first but the team we ended up leaving collapsed 2 years later.

I thought things would settle a bit this year, however....There plenty of 04 teams looking for players right now in North OC. CDA Slammers - Orange, Tusitn, and YL are holding training this week. Although who is coaching what and where is unclear at best. Legends west also trying to build and 04 team at Esperanza. Strikers are holding sessions in La HAbra and then there is West Coast at the great park. LA Galaxy of OC is also looking.

Plenty of choices and time to find the right fit.

Most coaches have no problem letting kids go if they aren't happy being there and if the parents are upfront about looking elsewhere.

Soccer community is way to small to try to sneak around
and a few go nuts.....coaches should remember the community is small too.

Back