Team Budgets

The new season starts March 10th. I absolutely have emailed a list of the extra tournaments for this coming season, plus spring league .

Had a quick question....would love to hear some experience on this for a newly formed tier 2 team

What are typical things included in a team budget BESIDES the following items:
  • Club Fee
  • Coaching Fee
  • League Reg Fee
  • Ref Fees
  • Cal South Reg Fee
  • Tournament Fees (Including State Cup)
  • Coaches Travel Fees- would this include per diem for meals, lodging, mileage reimbursement for out of town tournaments? Anything else?
How about equipment fees? If the coach has bought soccer balls, pugs, etc should those be included in the current team's budget?

Anything else that I am missing or can be typical on a team budget?

I know that sharing team budgets can be a sensitive thing, but would love to get some input on this asap from you veterans...

Coach pays for his own training equipment such as pug goals, cones, and soccer balls. A smart coach will require each player to bring their own ball to practice. The coach should also have 3-5 good game balls. If the coach wants you to pay then they should give each player a ball, cones and pugs at the end of the season since the parents purchased them. No way the coach should get to keep something the parents purchased.

I have a question for managers...if a family knows they will not be able to play in a tournament ahead of time do you still have them pay their share for that tournament?

I have been a team manager for all three of my DD. Every Club I have been a manager for says Yes! You are a team, not an individual, either change your plans to adjust or go play a individual sport.

I have a question for managers...if a family knows they will not be able to play in a tournament ahead of time do you still have them pay their share for that tournament?
For the team that I manage, if the parents notified the coach when we announced the plans for the year that they would not be able to participate in a particular tournament or event, we did not charge them. If they pulled out for one reason or another after everyone committed, then the fee remained. The key is to stay well ahead of the money collection process. Exceptions have been made. For example, one of our girls had an ACL injury a couple of months prior to an out of state tournament. I was able to refund her parents all of the money that they had paid into the trip specific budget. Fortunately, having one player not go ended up saving money on rooms (16 players versus 17 / 4 rooms vs 5), so the impact wasn't too bad. We use TeamSnap for our team to manage our finances and calendar. It is well worth the annual fee to document fee's and payments.

Tracking individual tournment cost is a nightmare for a volunteer team manager. What is an extra $50 when your team manager is doing so much for free? Maybe they should consider all the time the team manager is putting in to make your club fees cheaper. Or all the Friday night check-in they do.

If coach decides to add tournaments that were not listed at beginning of the season, should players who cannot be there pick up the share of the cost?

I've managed 2 teams for the last couple years, and if the player knew beforehand and informed us they couldn't make the tournament...we never charged them for it.

Tracking individual tournment cost is a nightmare for a volunteer team manager. What is an extra $50 when your team manager is doing so much for free? Maybe they should consider all the time the team manager is putting in to make your club fees cheaper. Or all the Friday night check-in they do.

I took over as manager for a couple of Friday night checkins. I was going to be there anyway, and I got the swag (nice NHB bookbag one year) and enjoyed the happy hour.

I took over as manager for a couple of Friday night checkins. I was going to be there anyway, and I got the swag (nice NHB bookbag one year) and enjoyed the happy

Haha! All my Friday night check-ins have been an hour away with no swag, no alcohol and no food. You can do all mine for me

I took over as manager for a couple of Friday night checkins. I was going to be there anyway, and I got the swag (nice NHB bookbag one year) and enjoyed the happy hour.
That's why they charge soo much for their tournaments, someone has to pay for that.....

It's always tough for tournaments in the summer. Families shouldn't have to plan their vacations around a soccer schedule. And now that summer break seems to be shorter each year, it's even tougher.
When did the tend of having guest players play for free get started.
"We're a bit short for a tournament. Can your kid play? The cost is $50".
This covers for the parents that have other plans.

It's always tough for tournaments in the summer. Families shouldn't have to plan their vacations around a soccer schedule. And now that summer break seems to be shorter each year, it's even tougher.
When did the tend of having guest players play for free get started.
"We're a bit short for a tournament. Can your kid play? The cost is $50".
This covers for the parents that have other plans.

We always offered to pay a share. Sometimes they wanted some money, sometimes they didn't.

Question related to budget: I have taken over as co-manager/treasurer for my kid's team this year and noticed some glaring discrepancies from last year's team budget (i.e reconciled budget includes paying $800 dollars for our own club's tournament which has been confirmed by the club's treasurer as free to all of the club' teams). Has anyone encountered this before? What happens next?

Question related to budget: I have taken over as co-manager/treasurer for my kid's team this year and noticed some glaring discrepancies from last year's team budget (i.e reconciled budget includes paying $800 dollars for our own club's tournament which has been confirmed by the club's treasurer as free to all of the club' teams). Has anyone encountered this before? What happens next?
You need to find out if the $800 was withdrawn or a check made out to the club and get a reimbursement.

If coach decides to add tournaments that were not listed at beginning of the season, should players who cannot be there pick up the share of the cost?
In my experience, if he tourney is added to the master schedule then no. The cost of the new tournament is divided amongst those that will be there, including any borrowed players.

Back