Suggestions/insights on girls clubs?

Couple of other pointers that will make you laugh but are 100% true. When you drop off / pick up your kid be really tall (or obviously athletic) + drive an expensive car. ;-)

You forgot "or be a recognizable professional athlete". ;)

The sad undeniable truth of the American youth soccer setup. :(:mad::eek:

It does amaze me that MVLA is so good - I don't think their athletes are that much better. It's the coaching and the style of play they enforce at all ages.

The sad undeniable truth of the American youth soccer setup. :(:mad::eek:

It does amaze me that MVLA is so good - I don't think their athletes are that much better. It's the coaching and the style of play they enforce at all ages.
I don't think coaches looking at the parents to see if they're tall, obviously athletic, or a professional athlete is that bad of a thing. It's probably fairly universal worldwide that the big kid or kid with obvious advantages is going to get picked first.

What's makes the US different is that coaches need to assess parents ability to pay to play. Other countries have Acadamies where anyone can play but only a few make it to the highest levels. The ones that make it to the highest levels fund all the rest of the players ability to play via a Transfer Fee when they're sold from local clubs to national clubs.

In theory pay to play should be able to provide the same type of player as the Academy model. In reality money twists and subverts everything + you end up with true talent on the sidelines watching less talented play at the highest levels.

I don't think coaches looking at the parents to see if they're tall, obviously athletic, or a professional athlete is that bad of a thing. It's probably fairly universal worldwide that the big kid or kid with obvious advantages is going to get picked first.

What's makes the US different is that coaches need to assess parents ability to pay to play. Other countries have Acadamies where anyone can play but only a few make it to the highest levels. The ones that make it to the highest levels fund all the rest of the players ability to play via a Transfer Fee when they're sold from local clubs to national clubs.

In theory pay to play should be able to provide the same type of player as the Academy model. In reality money twists and subverts everything + you end up with true talent on the sidelines watching less talented play at the highest levels.
I was told by one of the top youth coaches in America that the scouts take a look at dad first and then size up mom. They can get a read on the future in some ways. In other parts of the world, once you get to the academy, it's free for all players. Meaning, the Academy makes their money in other ways. Charging parents $4000 just to enter the doors would be laughed at.

MVLA, like Mustang, benefits from strong, consistent support from their admin and community. As a result, they don't have the same level of coaching and player turnover you see at other Bay Area ECNL clubs.

For example, there is one Bay Area ECNL club that hasn't been named in this thread, yet, that used to have strong, consistent leadership and a high-level of performance, but changed DOCs a few years ago (the old DOC retired). Since then, you've seen the club bleed away long-time coaches, players and families, some of which attribute it to the changed environment under the "new" DOC.

Force and Surf have also reinvented themselves a few times over the last 5-10 years (though their performance obviously hasn't been as affected as the other club I'm thinking of).

Anyway, I think that's why MVLA has been so good for so long in so many age groups. Mustang, too.

MVLA, like Mustang, benefits from strong, consistent support from their admin and community. As a result, they don't have the same level of coaching and player turnover you see at other Bay Area ECNL clubs.

For example, there is one Bay Area ECNL club that hasn't been named in this thread, yet, that used to have strong, consistent leadership and a high-level of performance, but changed DOCs a few years ago (the old DOC retired). Since then, you've seen the club bleed away long-time coaches, players and families, some of which attribute it to the changed environment under the "new" DOC.

Force and Surf have also reinvented themselves a few times over the last 5-10 years (though their performance obviously hasn't been as affected as the other club I'm thinking of).

Anyway, I think that's why MVLA has been so good for so long in so many age groups. Mustang, too.

I'd argue MVLA develops and Mustang benefits from the U15 ECNL migration.

I wonder what our coaches would have thought about Messi’s parents, Alba’s parents, Modric’s parents, Silva’s parents, etc etc the Lost goes on… Not to beat the same drum over and over again but this is exactly why our soccer is so unimaginative and boring for the most part.

I wonder what our coaches would have thought about Messi’s parents, Alba’s parents, Modric’s parents, Silva’s parents, etc etc the Lost goes on… Not to beat the same drum over and over again but this is exactly why our soccer is so unimaginative and boring for the most part.
I agree with the theme of your statement. (Other than Messi who while always good got a boost from HGH)

I just think it's natural that coaches choose the big + fast kid first which means in the end they're going to get more opportunites.

Unimaginative soccer is more the influence of college soccer than anything else.

As others have said there is no substitute for going to watch the teams play in a game environment; also watching the coach in a training session when they don't know they are being observed. There is an App called Soccer Rankings that is very useful for judging a teams relative strength and ability. It's not perfect, but very accurate if you view the suggested ranking with a +/-10 ranking spots lens as it is in constant movement week to week (except the top 20). I would definitely use it to focus in on possibilities to go see within your target age group. The tough part is it includes all of California, and there are a lot of teams. Knowing which teams are within range will take some digging into, or just asking on here how close they are. Be aware that a lot of Norcal DPL and few GA teams also play in Norcal ECRL and NPL simultaneously throughout the season. So the team name may indicate DPL or NPL, but they are also ECRL or GA, just have to look through there game history over the last year to see which leagues they are participating in. ECRL, GA, NPL, DPL are pretty much all the same in Norcal.

Suggestions/insights on girls clubs between San Mateo & San Jose? I might be transferred to the Bay Area from the Midwest for a new job and daughter currently plays for an ECNL club (and there’s only one club for miles and miles where we live currently)

Reading up, I see MVLA, Force and Surf. What are the key differences/methodology between them? Other clubs to consider?

(Not posting this for debate, just very curious about approach/methodology/similarities/differences. As what works for one kid, may not work for another)

Thanks in advance
All great info from everyone so far. I think what age group your kid could matter with some clubs if she's a quality player. Some ages are strong and some others are average. MVLA is the top club in Nor Cal hands down then some good arguments after that. Good luck if you move in the next year!

All of this seems completely accurate. It's also fair to point out that some of it is just a numbers game. MVLA has a ton of kids - and in almost age groups, they have plenty of teams - ranging from ones that compete at the top level nationally, to those that are challenged at the beginner/lowest level locally. Even as young as 2015G - their own top team would beat their own lowest-rated team by 12+ goals. That large range of performance carries through from 2015 all the way through 06/05G. Very similar on their boys side. Put enough committed families/kids through a consistent/quality training program, and enough kids can be expected to filter to the top to create and maintain some very strong teams. Once there, success breeds success as both retaining and recruiting for that top team becomes that much easier.

Very age group dependent.
MVLA fields strong teams across all age groups on the girls side (boys side is not as strong at this club). They also have good coach stability. Teams tend to face significant roster changes from year to year.
Force is an established club. Strong on the boys side and strong but not consistently strong on the girls side. (This is where it is age group dependent). Some long term coaches but seems to have more coaching turnover and changes year to year. They tend not to have as much roster changes year to year and keep players and have a larger roster (pros and cons to this model of course).
Surf is “newer.” They keep reinventing themselves so doesn’t really have longevity which ends up meaning they don’t have a large pool of players they have developed over the years. They are coached well but don’t have depth of players.
Most people would not commute from your area to the East Bay to Mustang and Rage. The quality is not better to justify the commute. You do see the reverse commute for players though. Good luck to your daughter: and yes, most clubs don’t hold tryouts at this age. And also the match ups between force and mvla this weekend should be a good opportunity to see two strong clubs/local rivals compete.

My SoCal daughter recently took a job at one of the big Bay Area universities as an Athletic Trainer. She was asking me who the big clubs were in the Bay Area, so thanks for the comments in this thread. She told me she is going to try and work some youth soccer on the weekends when she does not have college commitments. So if you get a red headed ATC that is very knowledgeable with soccer working on your kid, that will be her.

My SoCal daughter recently took a job at one of the big Bay Area universities as an Athletic Trainer. She was asking me who the big clubs were in the Bay Area, so thanks for the comments in this thread. She told me she is going to try and work some youth soccer on the weekends when she does not have college commitments. So if you get a red headed ATC that is very knowledgeable with soccer working on your kid, that will be her.

Congrats to you and her. Recommend that she checks with Mustang - trainers were not available for an early boys' ECNL game last weekend, and there was a scare (kid's alright!).

I agree with the theme of your statement. (Other than Messi who while always good got a boost from HGH)

I just think it's natural that coaches choose the big + fast kid first which means in the end they're going to get more opportunites.

Unimaginative soccer is more the influence of college soccer than anything else.
I would say the unimaginative soccer is based on being taught a certain way to play the game from the time you are 5 and doing soccer trainings outside of practice that teach technique and having the time all accounted for and not going to the park or the street to just play with your friends.

Congrats to you and her. Recommend that she checks with Mustang - trainers were not available for an early boys' ECNL game last weekend, and there was a scare (kid's alright!).
I thought all ECNL games were required at have an ATC at the field? She said that she recently worked a set of MVLA games. She could not remember who the other team was, but they lost most of the games. She is rooting for Stanford and Clemson in the NCAA playoffs. If they keep winning, they could meet in the final.

Back