Suggestions/insights on girls clubs?

Suggestions/insights on girls clubs between San Mateo & San Jose? I might be transferred to the Bay Area from the Midwest for a new job and daughter currently plays for an ECNL club (and there’s only one club for miles and miles where we live currently)

Reading up, I see MVLA, Force and Surf. What are the key differences/methodology between them? Other clubs to consider?

(Not posting this for debate, just very curious about approach/methodology/similarities/differences. As what works for one kid, may not work for another)

Thanks in advance

There are various options in the bay area. If it's ECNL or bust, MVLA, De Anza Force, and FC Bay Area (Surf) may be the only options specifically in the San Jose to San Mateo geography you list. Others like Mustang, Pleasanton, Marin FC may be too far logistically. MVLA is the strongest by a significant margin (top in Norcal, top 5 in state, top 10 nationally). All of the clubs you list have NL teams at the top level, but RL as well, in addition to committed/talented teams even below RL. Unless she is/was already known nationally within ECNL - landing a starting spot on an existing MVLA ECNL team would be a formidable challenge. Depending on her age and the specific team - there may be other viable options outside of ECNL that might surprise you, like Almaden, Burlingame, Los Gatos, Santa Clara Sporting, Woodside, and perhaps a few more.

Suggestions/insights on girls clubs between San Mateo & San Jose? I might be transferred to the Bay Area from the Midwest for a new job and daughter currently plays for an ECNL club (and there’s only one club for miles and miles where we live currently)

Reading up, I see MVLA, Force and Surf. What are the key differences/methodology between them? Other clubs to consider?

(Not posting this for debate, just very curious about approach/methodology/similarities/differences. As what works for one kid, may not work for another)

Thanks in advance
What style of play? MVLA and DeAnza play a possession based but as RSF stated MVLA is not going to be easy getting on their roster especially at this point of the year.

Thanks for this.
We're targeting Spring tryouts, and would contact the clubs, visit/watch games, attend practices for the following year - 100% agree getting on a roster now or for next year is going to be difficult regardless
She's open to GA clubs too, as long as it's at the right level.

Thanks for this.
We're targeting Spring tryouts, and would contact the clubs, visit/watch games, attend practices for the following year - 100% agree getting on a roster now or for next year is going to be difficult regardless
Be strategic about the clubs you try out at because everyone talks + if your kid is good word will travel fast.

Don't wait for spring tryouts just email the coaches of the teams you think might be a fit and ask if your daughter can practice with their team for a session or two. If the coach likes your player they'll chase you to your car.

Couple of other pointers that will make you laugh but are 100% true. When you drop off / pick up your kid be really tall (or obviously athletic) + drive an expensive car. ;-)

Thanks for this.
Tryouts are not the main path for olders in norcal. We have tryouts, but you can also just call up the coach, tell him where she used to play, and ask for a tryout.

MVLA is possession based and very strong. Their teams usually make playoffs, and often get out of group.

Force and BA Surf are a little more balanced. Also a little easier to make the team. Not sure how far is is to Surf practice, though.

If you wind up living in the east bay, you might look at Rage or Mustang. Both are more direct. Mustang is the stronger of the two, but they’re also further east.

Might look at PASC. GA, which in norcal is a lower level of play.

Thanks in advance
Keep in mind that your options may change based on where you plan to live. 30 miles from house to practice during rush hour could be 1 hour to 1 & 1/2 of driving one way! Surf and Force practice at Twin Creeks in Sunnyvale if that helps. SVSA in Girls Academy is centrally located too.

Thanks in advance

I think it's a ranked tier decision if your daughter is a standout player when she steps on to the field:

1. MVLA
If your daughter is a baller with great skills, soccer IQ, and a standout whenever she steps on to the field, go to MVLA. The players all have good soccer IQ, are athletic/fast, and are always moving off ball to different spaces on the field. Coaches, parents, and community support are great. The problem is just being good enough to make the team because the competition is so strong.

2. Surf
If your daughter is a baller with great skills, soccer IQ, and a standout, AND is not intimidated by a highly competitive, "pool play roster" environment and all that entails, AND did not get on to MVLA, try Surf.

I think the biggest drawback is pool play. That's hard for a lot of kids, kind of thing that can make them lose interest in the sport.

3. Tie: Force
If your daughter didn't get on to MVLA/Surf, but is tall, fast, and athletic, go Force. If she's not a standout athletically in some way, it's likely she'll be placed on a lower team or not played as much.

3. Tie: Mustang
If your daughter didn't get on to MVLA/Surf, and is a standout player, BUT is not tall/fast/athletic, AND you don't mind commuting further out, try Mustang.

Mustang is better than Force performance, training, coaching wise, and will take smaller but crafty players, but it's further away and it can be hard to make the top team for an out-of-towner.

Depends on the age group you're talking about. Force has at least one strong team. Surf has a few not strong teams. MVLA is a solid club and that would be my top choice. If your daughter is a good player, the team will make room. Existing families don't like it, but it happens every season despite the warnings.

If you're willing to drive to Mustang, you might as well look at Lamorinda. Better than some of the other GA clubs in the area. Good luck!

Depends on the age group you're talking about. Force has at least one strong team. Surf has a few not strong teams. MVLA is a solid club and that would be my top choice.

That doesn't match with the current ratings of the clubs. MVLA is on top by far, but FC Bay Area is actually somewhat stronger on the girls side than DeAnza. They are close enough that it will depend much more on the specific age and the specific coach - but here's how they are currently rated (in-state rank CA):

ECNL Clubs.png

If you're willing to drive to Mustang, you might as well look at Lamorinda. Better than some of the other GA clubs in the area.

Yep, Mustang does show 11th - it's very comparable to these, if the logistics work. None of the others are that comparable (Pleasanton, Lamorinda, etc. barely break the top 50 clubs in CA).

Mustang fields + facilities are really nice as well.
Played in the Mustang Tournament back when my little one was 9. Danville is a very nice area. It was my first time introduced to NoCal Soccer and I must say I drove back to SoCal super impressed. Our little team from Temecula gave it their all but we missed making it to group play. The fields were awesome and quality of soccer from the Nocal teams were top notch.

Thanks in advance

MVLA is head and shoulders above any other club in that area. They feed Stanford and Mustang, further east, feeds Cal. At least they used to until Risenhoover left. We'll see how that goes.

Be strategic about the clubs you try out at because everyone talks + if your kid is good word will travel fast.

Don't wait for spring tryouts just email the coaches of the teams you think might be a fit and ask if your daughter can practice with their team for a session or two. If the coach likes your player they'll chase you to your car.

Couple of other pointers that will make you laugh but are 100% true. When you drop off / pick up your kid be really tall (or obviously athletic) + drive an expensive car. ;-)

NEVER wait for tryouts. If you wait for tryouts, you're 2-3 weeks too late.

Thanks in advance

Lot's of decent advice in this thread already. Definitely a few things I would disagree with though.

I would add that if you're around on Sept 30 for De Anza vs MVLA or Nov 19 for BA Surf vs MVLA there is no substitute for watching these teams play.

I would also add that if your daughter isn't quite on the level of the ECNL top teams, there are good GA clubs that will be at a higher level than the second(ECRL) teams and have marginally less travel in GA Northwest conference vs ECNL NorCal conference.

In NorCal the ECRL teams play NPL in the Fall and many of the GA teams double roster their girls into NPL where these teams go head to head. If you have a specific year you're interested in you'll get better advice.

Back