Sporting Slammers???

Saw this announced on Instagram last week.
"Slammers FC is returning to Irvine through a partnership with The Ryan Lemmon Foundation and Sporting California Management Company. The newly formed venture will operate as Sporting Slammers FC under the RLF umbrella. The multi-sports club model may be a new concept to Irvine, but the people behind it are not."

Returning to Irvine? How many slammers teams are training at Great Park currently?

"Slammers FC is returning to Irvine through a partnership with The Ryan Lemmon Foundation and Sporting California Management Company. The newly formed venture will operate as Sporting Slammers FC under the RLF umbrella. The multi-sports club model may be a new concept to Irvine, but the people behind it are not."

Returning to Irvine? How many slammers teams are training at Great Park currently?

Expanding in a contraction era of youth soccer is not a good business model unless they plan on offering something unique compared to all other clubs.

Could they come up with a better name? The first thought that came up when I heard that name was "Sporty Spice!" and then" Sporting Good Stores"

Andy Winn, thinks he’s going to take his losing flight 1 (last place in league) and go DPL. He doesn’t know what he is doing. This new club is completely money hungry and is not developing players. They don’t coach. They kiss ass to certain players and ignore others. They do not care. Incredible lack of integrity from Andy.

Andy Winn, thinks he’s going to take his losing flight 1 (last place in league) and go DPL. He doesn’t know what he is doing. This new club is completely money hungry and is not developing players. They don’t coach. They kiss ass to certain players and ignore others. They do not care. Incredible lack of integrity from Andy.
New Member and 1st Post is trashing Andy Winn...

A lot of coaches in SoCal that are just in it for the business, but there are some outliers and Andy has a pretty good reputation. He's coached / run clubs on the smaller scale side, been competitive and helped put girls into college. He got bundled into the large Slammers umbrella and still did a solid job of developing players and competing with the teams he was assigned to.

Looks like he will have more responsibility being the DOC for this Slammers branch, and Leslie Bryant will have a great opportunity as the Girls Youth Director. Both have a pretty good reputation, not sure what the big issue is, anyone who knows about the "letter leagues" knows that Slammers / Koge have the ECNL / ECRL platform if that's the best fit for your player. If not, sounds like this branch might be an option for others.

I'm not a big fan of the spider-web of clubs as it makes it difficult to navigate, but it does provide "options" to the consumer.

My point is why would he take a flight 1 team DPL when they haven’t won 1 game all season During practices there’s no coaching. Coaches stand around talking or walking around. Zero coaching

My point is why would he take a flight 1 team DPL when they haven’t won 1 game all season During practices there’s no coaching. Coaches stand around talking or walking around. Zero coaching
DPL is a club-wide league (U13 and up) so one under-performing team wouldn't stop a club from going to DPL. Even 2 o4 3 under-performing teams wouldn't stop them, provided the club meets the other DPL requirements. Not to mention, sometimes being added to DPL helps a club recruit, so they might recruit their way to success at the higher level. It has happened before.

As I’m sure you know DPL like other higher leagues is Club based, so clubs have to field a team at all 6 age groups to participate. And occasionally they have to slide a team in to fill a spot. The better clubs figure it out and keep those teams moving forward. Especially at the first year 11v11 and younger ages which is what I’m guessing your talking about. Once in those platforms recruiting gets better and development ensues so it works itself out after the 1st year. Every club in all these platforms deals with the same thing at some point. Fielding a competitive team at all 6 age groups can be tough. If anything Slammers has a pretty proven track record of doing this well. Plus gotta remember a club like Slammers has other platforms already, 4 ECNL teams, Elite 64, ect, so your talking about what could be and likely is the clubs 5th or 6th string team. Now playing against other clubs top first teams.

As I’m sure you know DPL like other higher leagues is Club based, so clubs have to field a team at all 6 age groups to participate. And occasionally they have to slide a team in to fill a spot. The better clubs figure it out and keep those teams moving forward. Especially at the first year 11v11 and younger ages which is what I’m guessing your talking about. Once in those platforms recruiting gets better and development ensues so it works itself out after the 1st year. Every club in all these platforms deals with the same thing at some point. Fielding a competitive team at all 6 age groups can be tough. If anything Slammers has a pretty proven track record of doing this well. Plus gotta remember a club like Slammers has other platforms already, 4 ECNL teams, Elite 64, ect, so your talking about what could be and likely is the clubs 5th or 6th string team. Now playing against other clubs top first teams.
Having a DPL club in the Slammers general orbit also keeps their foot in the door with GA since this is where GA generally puts their 2nd teams. (Kind of like ECRL)

It's like 10 years ago when DA was taking off + big ECNL clubs either worked to get into DA or loosely aligned with a smaller clubs that were already DA.

Having options is smart because you never know what's going to happen next in youth soccer.

Back