Risks of playing a year up

URAQT

BRONZE
I’m new to SoCal soccer.com but it seems to have many knowledgeable people who have been through it all when it comes to club soccer. My questions is this, my daughter is currently playing a year up but out of 15 players I would say she’s top 9, if we choose to move to her age bracket she would be top 2/3, since playjng relaxed/fun/creative is what we’re after, will playing up hinder her development as a creative player? Or will playing in a higher level help her in the long run? Thank you for any input you may have.

If playing up means doing 11v11 instead of 9v9, I would not do it. You will get less touches on the ball in 11v11.

My son went back and forth between playing up and with his age group over the years and for him, it was always a question of confidence. If the level of the older team was so high that he didn't play much or they were so much bigger that he was getting out muscled all the time, his confidence would drop and he wouldn't improve much and we would move him down. But if he felt like he was contributing and able to play freely, he would improve more playing up.

So, it depends on the kid and their reaction.

If playing up means doing 11v11 instead of 9v9, I would not do it. You will get less touches on the ball in 11v11.

All season she played 11v11 and for this coming year both teams would be 11v11 but it’s a good point since you get so many more touches on a smaller field, miss those days.

My son went back and forth between playing up and with his age group over the years and for him, it was always a question of confidence. If the level of the older team was so high that he didn't play much or they were so much bigger that he was getting out muscled all the time, his confidence would drop and he wouldn't improve much and we would move him down. But if he felt like he was contributing and able to play freely, he would improve more playing up.

So, it depends on the kid and their reaction.
Totally agree, at times she’s so relaxed and free and we say this is where she belongs and at times she can get tight and robotic which is when we question it. Physicality hasn’t been an issue yet but it’s also around the time kids change gears and stretch out. I wish the option was there to go back and forth but it’s not, it’s one or the other for next season.

I’m new to SoCal soccer.com but it seems to have many knowledgeable people who have been through it all when it comes to club soccer. My questions is this, my daughter is currently playing a year up but out of 15 players I would say she’s top 9, if we choose to move to her age bracket she would be top 2/3, since playjng relaxed/fun/creative is what we’re after, will playing up hinder her development as a creative player? Or will playing in a higher level help her in the long run? Thank you for any input you may have.
This is not an easy question to answer. I have read articles regarding this and seen it in practice. From the female players (these girls are 04's, 05's and 06's) that I personally know andwho have played up (in club) eventually became part of the US National Youth Team pool, or the US Team Pool and/or D1 college players. As well as playing professionally. So, as I read through the list there is one common thread for most of them. Not all of them started playing up at U11. It was a bit later for most with the exception of a few. Which tells me the coaching staff or the parents made solid choices in when they allowed their daughters to do so. With that, the downsides I have seen: 1)home schooling their child (lack of socialization and academic rigor) 2)lack of age appropriate friendships or the inability to maintain friendships because of age 3)susceptible to injury due to the development and strength of the older players 4)parental involvement with the wrong intentions 5)different level of expectations. Now if a player and the family do chose to have their daughter play up it should be for the right reasons. The right reasons that I have witnesed 1)real development because they player was technically/tactically, developmentally and emotionally ready 2)the player wanted it on their own 3)they were able to contribute to the team and played consistently.

If she's a starter playing a year up, leave her be. If she's a bench warmer, I would move her down a year to be a starter. But it is tough to move if she's has friends on the current team... What is your goal - National Team, Pro, D1 scholarship, or Adult Rec League; more importantly, what is your DD goal(s). I'm surprised that its one team or the other - my club has more fluidity between age groups if she's that talented, she can be rostered with both ENCL teams, my DD has a rostered with two different ENCL age-groups.

I'm surprised that its one team or the other - my club has more fluidity between age groups if she's that talented, she can be rostered with both ENCL teams, my DD has a rostered with two different ENCL age-groups.
I've seen this work differently at different clubs. Last year my son was rostered in his age group and played up when needed / asked and it worked out fine. This year, on a different club, there's very little movement (except for the bio-banded players).

This is not an easy question to answer. I have read articles regarding this and seen it in practice. From the female players (these girls are 04's, 05's and 06's) that I personally know andwho have played up (in club) eventually became part of the US National Youth Team pool, or the US Team Pool and/or D1 college players. As well as playing professionally. So, as I read through the list there is one common thread for most of them. Not all of them started playing up at U11. It was a bit later for most with the exception of a few. Which tells me the coaching staff or the parents made solid choices in when they allowed their daughters to do so. With that, the downsides I have seen: 1)home schooling their child (lack of socialization and academic rigor) 2)lack of age appropriate friendships or the inability to maintain friendships because of age 3)susceptible to injury due to the development and strength of the older players 4)parental involvement with the wrong intentions 5)different level of expectations. Now if a player and the family do chose to have their daughter play up it should be for the right reasons. The right reasons that I have witnesed 1)real development because they player was technically/tactically, developmentally and emotionally ready 2)the player wanted it on their own 3)they were able to contribute to the team and playe

Totally agree, at times she’s so relaxed and free and we say this is where she belongs and at times she can get tight and robotic which is when we question it. Physicality hasn’t been an issue yet but it’s also around the time kids change gears and stretch out. I wish the option was there to go back and forth but it’s not, it’s one or the other for next season.
It depends on a few factors:

1. How old is your daughter? Is there a big size difference?

2. Most importantly, who are the coaches on the teams? A supportive and knowledgeable (in that order) coach is more important than anything else.

3. What is the turnover rate of players on the play up team. I don't care what anyone on the team tells you because people tend not to be honest about their existing team and coach because they want to recruit better players. How many players left (doesn't matter the reason)? 10-15% (2-3 players) is natural but if you have a higher turnover rate, that is a huge RED FLAG. Steer clear.

4. Playing with confidence and happiness will develop a player more than age group jump because sometimes the older age group is not as good as the younger one. We've seen it where certain clubs have better younger teams than older teams, and this ranges from year to year.

Great stuff!, been trying to tackle this for the last few months and go back and forth. I can see how it can mean more when you get to older ages, no one is looking at younger ages yet. She plays about 60-70% of game and does start but usually comes off 1st or 2nd. As any young competitive athlete, she sees herself playing at highest level one day but the journey Is long and many obstacles, many choices and still need some luck. Thanks for all the feedback.

Great stuff!, been trying to tackle this for the last few months and go back and forth. I can see how it can mean more when you get to older ages, no one is looking at younger ages yet. She plays about 60-70% of game and does start but usually comes off 1st or 2nd. As any young competitive athlete, she sees herself playing at highest level one day but the journey Is long and many obstacles, many choices and still need some luck. Thanks for all the feedback.
The reason to play up is if there’s nobody on her age group team that can push her and she’s dominating in games against opponents. A player playing up should be in the top 5 of the team she’s playing up on.
Better to train up (a practice once a week with an older team and/or with boys) and play on a team with her age group if she can.
As Lastman said, US soccer does want YNT players to demonstrate the ability to play up and to be in the toughest environment they can find. Let your daughter drive the decision making and keep in mind that the large majority of players will not go on to play at the highest level, and character growth and socialization are far more important than the soccer itself.

The reason to play up is if there’s nobody on her age group team that can push her and she’s dominating in games against opponents. A player playing up should be in the top 5 of the team she’s playing up on.
Better to train up (a practice once a week with an older team and/or with boys) and play on a team with her age group if she can.
As Lastman said, US soccer does want YNT players to demonstrate the ability to play up and to be in the toughest environment they can find. Let your daughter drive the decision making and keep in mind that the large majority of players will not go on to play at the highest level, and character growth and socialization are far more important than the soccer itself.
Great take Soccerfan, thank you

Back