Red or Yellow? Stanford v. UNC foul

Thanks. I asked that specifically because I've begun volunteer reffing AYSO games and I've already had some moments where I almost immediately realized I made the wrong call (no cards given tho) and kind of panicked about whether to correct it. When I did, the coaches always seemed to smell blood in the water (weak ref!) and the rest of the game was more difficult for me. But when I didn't correct it, I felt like I had knowingly cheated one side.

Every soccer parent should take a ref class and try reffing some games. I have a whole new level of respect for the job.

Listen to the Bald One and just slow everything down. I worked with a FIFA Referee a few years ago at the Disney tournament and he gave me some good advice, “when you see a foul say to yourself, “let’s see where the ball goes” that will give you that extra time to evaluate the foul and to see if the player is able to play through the foul or if the ball goes to a teammate.” He said that is the phrase he mentally uses to slow things down and evaluate the play. Remember a lot can happen in 1/2 a second of soccer. Also, remember most AYSO coaches are just dads and moms and don’t have much experience.

Look professional and carry yourself professionally. Be polite and say please and thank you. Mr Popejoy told me that years ago during an assessment and it always seems to calm coaches and players down if you are polite to them. Study the LOTG, go to PRO Referee and watch the Plays of the Week. PRO provides great videos and explanations that will really help you. http://proreferees.com/features/education/

Back