Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

If the player wants to walk away it's on their discretion, not because they were forced out....because the coach wants to give their money to a new player transferring in.

I agree with everything you are saying, but a coach can still "force out" a player that wants to play by not playing them.

I agree with everything you are saying, but a coach can still "force out" a player that wants to play by not playing them.

This phenomenon is not just in sports but in life and career in general.

If you are not "A" or at least "B" player, no playing time, lousy raises or no promotions. Natural selection will take care the attrition and people will be either be forced out or leave on their own looking for a better place, relative to themselves.

So the point is rather meaningless - don't you think?

It's smart to do this research up front. You can usually tell what plans the coach has for your player based upon the $$$ they are offered. If they offer a lot of money then they are expecting a player to have an impact immediately.

Except if one plays for needs-based only institution without any merit-based scholarships....

If you are not "A" or at least "B" player, no playing time, lousy raises or no promotions. Natural selection will take care the attrition and people will be either be forced out or leave on their own looking for a better place, relative to themselves.

Now your talking my language....Totally agree!

We are going in circles. The coach can't force out the player. If the player is fine with being a practice squad player, supporting her teammates and concentrating on her education. Is that horrible thing?

So the point is rather meaningless - don't you think?

Every company though has employees who are happy at their current position, they don't have ambitions anymore of climbing the corporate ladder or playing the political game, satisfied with their salary, they could be empty nesters with no need to make more money.

This individual doesn't mean he/she is a bad employee. They may be the best at their position. At least this was my experience in the corporate world.

Except if one plays for needs-based only institution without any merit-based scholarships....
Agreed (w/a twist).....Based on your other post, you're familiar w/said process...and therefore you know there are other methods to gauge/determine the coaches interest/ anticipated impact their recruit is to have. In terms of $$, there are other means to receive $$ outside of needs based available....you just have to l$$k.

We are going in circles. The coach can't force out the player. If the player is fine with being a practice squad player, supporting her teammates and concentrating on her education. Is that horrible thing?

NG, I'm with you if the girl gets injured. It's a terrific insurance policy. But if a coach wants you off the team and your healthy, you'll get off unless you want to live a miserable existence. You become the trash bin for the coaches.

Frankly, I wonder how supportive teammates view someone sitting on the bench and taking money that could be used on other players to make the team better. No one wants a supportive junior or senior that is never going to play - younger players get resentful. They'll take a supportive freshman that may play in the future.

It's smart to do this research up front. You can usually tell what plans the coach has for your player based upon the $$$ they are offered. If they offer a lot of money then they are expecting a player to have an impact immediately.
I also read in the athletic scholarship guarantee. The money is only guaranteed for the 4 years if the players attends the univeristy as a incoming freshmen.
NG, I'm with you if the girl gets injured. It's a terrific insurance policy. But if a coach wants you off the team and your healthy, you'll get off unless you want to live a miserable existence. You become the trash bin for the coaches.

Frankly, I wonder how supportive teammates view someone sitting on the bench and taking money that could be used on other players to make the team better. No one wants a supportive junior or senior that is never going to play - younger players get resentful. They'll take a supportive freshman that may play in the future.
Of course that situation could happen, but it's a new reform that came into effect this Fall. I'm sure there will eventually be cases where a student athlete at a Power 5 conference is being forced out by their coach. I can see it leading to future civil law suits, including bad press against the university. We all know Universities hate bad press. They don't want to see their students protesting and holding campus demonstrations.

I believe I read if the student athlete is an upper classmen and elects to take a leave of absence (let's say the coaches are making life a living hell for the player) they can return and will still have their athletic scholarship available.

I hope nobody's kid ends up with a college coach who fosters this type of team culture you described above. If so, the player and their parents didn't do enough research before committing to the program/university.

I hope nobody's kid ends up with a college coach who fosters this type of team culture you described above. If so, the player and their parents didn't do enough research before committing to the program/university.

This would happen routinely when I was in college - and that was without the guarantee scholarship rule. I'm sure most college athletes you ask have either seen it on their own teams or saw it happen on other teams at their schools. It's easier sometimes to have the kid quick than strip away their money.

All of that said, you are right that a kid could stick through it all. But at the end of the day, most kids don't want to show up everyday to a place they are unwanted. And a coach can make you feel awfully unwanted.

This would happen routinely when I was in college - and that was without the guarantee scholarship rule. I'm sure most college athletes you ask have either seen it on their own teams or saw it happen on other teams at their schools. It's easier sometimes to have the kid quick than strip away their money.

All of that said, you are right that a kid could stick through it all. But at the end of the day, most kids don't want to show up everyday to a place they are unwanted. And a coach can make you feel awfully unwanted.
Exactly that was prior to this reform coming into effect this Fall of 2016. To protect the student athlete.

IMO, it's a great reform and holds the coaches accountable for early recruiting. Instead of discarding a student athlete who committed to the university when they also had other offers on the table. This reform could reverse the trend of early verbal commits by 8th graders (see Texas) and HS underclassmens. Big difference in annual renewability vs 4 yr guarantees athletic scholarship.

Exactly that was prior to this reform coming into effect this Fall of 2016. To protect the student athlete.

IMO, it's a great reform and holds the coaches accountable for early recruiting. Instead of discarding a student athlete who committed to the university when they also had other offers on the table. This reform could reverse the trend of early verbal commits by 8th graders (see Texas) and HS underclassmens. Big difference in annual renewability vs 4 yr guarantees athletic scholarship.

I don't disagree with the reform. And I hope it would have the impact of curtailing early recruiting, but I think that is a pipe dream without other reforms. But I also think you are over emphasizing the reality of the protection. Sure, a girl that has a career ending injury won't have any issues keeping a scholarship. And I think that's what makes the reform a positive one. A girl that simply isn't cutting it, however, is going to have a widely different experience. And this reform could actually exacerbate isolating behavior by coaches, especially those with a lot of pressure to win. Now coaches won't even have the option of taking away the scholarship.

And where is this mythical creature that you believe exists that is willing to show up to practice everyday for years when they are clearly unwanted? I don't think too many of those people exist at high level college athletics. They move on, get a ship from another school where they are wanted. It's the kids with injuries that need the protection because they cannot move on.

I don't disagree with the reform. And I hope it would have the impact of curtailing early recruiting, but I think that is a pipe dream without other reforms. But I also think you are over emphasizing the reality of the protection. Sure, a girl that has a career ending injury won't have any issues keeping a scholarship. And I think that's what makes the reform a positive one. A girl that simply isn't cutting it, however, is going to have a widely different experience. And this reform could actually exacerbate isolating behavior by coaches, especially those with a lot of pressure to win. Now coaches won't even have the option of taking away the scholarship.

And where is this mythical creature that you believe exists that is willing to show up to practice everyday for years when they are clearly unwanted? I don't think too many of those people exist at high level college athletics. They move on, get a ship from another school where they are wanted. It's the kids with injuries that need the protection because they cannot move on.

You are not accounting for the probability of a civil law suit which can probably be filed by the student athlete. Especially a player being forced out by the head coach to free up money. It's not like the scholarship is based on being renewed annually and thus an out clause. I'm no lawyer, but I have to imagine....there will be litigation on this very subject in the future.

Like I posted it just went into effect. We won't know how it transpires for at least a couple of years, when coaches have money tied up on an underperforming player.

I can also see coaches offering less money to freshmen recruits. The college players who meet or exceed expectations are then rewarded with more athletic ship money their sophomore, jr and sr year.

Here is a tip. Don't travel with your kid to the out of town showcases that are reached be plane (PDA, ECNL finals, Disney Showcase) unless you are the chaperone. You can still go but don't stay with the team it gives your player the feel for traveling with their team that they will experience in college. My player told me that she is so used to doing it now thanks to traveling with her club and the YNT.

Anybody know how many scholarships are offered by a PAC 12 vs. a WCC school?

What would be considered a good offer, typical offer to a player from either on if these conferences?

Anybody know how many scholarships are offered by a PAC 12 vs. a WCC school?

What would be considered a good offer, typical offer to a player from either on if these conferences?

If they are a fully funded program then they both offer 14. The difference being that the Pac 12 is one of two conferences that guarantee their scholarships for 4 years. What a good offer is depends upon the family and the player. Typically the closer to 100% that your player is offered in a total package, the sooner the player is expected to contribute. A 100% offer to Sam Houston State might not be as good as a 50% offer to Long Beach St. depending what the family and player want and can afford. If your player gets an offer from a school that she wants to go to and your family can afford it. That is a good offer. If you are paying less for college than you paid for club or high school (or club and high school) soccer, then that is a good offer.

Honestly there are some schools that your player would never consider so even if they offered 100% it is still a bad offer. I hope that helps.

If they are a fully funded program then they both offer 14.......

There you go again... Just assumes its for women. OP's question does not specify gender so it could be for girls but it can also be for boys.

For Men, NCAA D1 is 9.9EP and Women is 14EP. Its EP (equivalent persons) because schools can divided it up into many more student athletes.

Here is a link to general site: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

You can find stats for each school of interest. Its listed alphabetically by State. It also gives average amount for the particular school of interest. You can figure out if its a good offer or not by comparing to the average.

Back